Author Topic: Another good song---urban myth?  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Another good song---urban myth?
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:35:53 PM »
Rod Stewart & Amy Belle- I Dont Want To Talk About It

I've always liked this song but was only told recently about this version. The story goes that Rod spotted this girl busking and asked her to perform live on stage with him. I can't be bothered looking it up.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Another good song---urban myth?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:50:42 PM »
I'll tell you why this song has memories for me.
Back in 1975, Andrew's marriage came to an end. He wanted to get away from things for a while and asked me if I'd go with him for a break somewhere---we ended up in Amsterdam. As we drove from Dundee to Harwich, we listened to Rod Stewart's "Atlantic Crossing" and this song became embedded in my brain. It was while we were there that Andrew suggested that we get together to create a daily strip and that's where it all began. A month later, after our return, I came up with Beau Peep.
I don't wanna talk about it.

Vulture

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 09:57:17 PM »
I've always loved this song. Again, it's very evocative of sad times in my life, and I always have to stop and listen to it when it's played. This version is a little too busy to watch. I could watch Rod, or the girl, or the band, or the audience, but not all together - it's too distracting.

Diamond Lil

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 06:57:05 AM »
Happy memories for me of being at one of his concerts...looks around a similar time judging by the same jacket....and what a show he puts on.  Funnily enough, that was a good time in my life, blissfully unaware of what was around my next corner.

Malc

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 01:08:59 AM »
In 1975 I had split up with my girlfriend, and joined the army to forget. Oddly, that's the classic romantic reason for blokes joining the French Foreign Legion. This song was on the jukebox in the mess and was always being played, so it's the unoffical soundtrack to my life at the time.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 01:42:50 AM »
Yep - I bought 'Atlantic Crossing, and listened to it endlessly after splitting with my girlfriend back in the 70s. Can't say I gave the army a second thought though. Just got me another girlfriend.
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 01:14:16 PM »
I didn't want another girlfriend, though. I wanted the one I had before. And I got her back, too. Then lost her again. Then got her again.

It sort of went on like that for the next 35 years.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
I didn't want another girlfriend, though. I wanted the one I had before. And I got her back, too. Then lost her again. Then got her again.

It sort of went on like that for the next 35 years.
To misquote Lady Bracknell, "To lose a girlfriend, Malky, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose her many times looks like carelessness."

lucy

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 06:06:34 PM »
Love the song Roger, thanks for posting. I should buy that album for peeps, could be a good parting pressie ;D ;D

Joan

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 05:54:06 AM »
1976 for me, and a small, dark, room in a house in Acton where I lived for 9 months while I was at Chiswick Polytechnic.  Didn't enjoy living in London much, although I made some close friends there.  Mixed year - some good times, some excellent and some bad and Atlantic Crossing was (and still is) in my blue plastic carry case of LPs.  Played many times.

As a side note, Roger Daltry's parents' house was in the street behind ours.  I could see in their staircase window from my window.  They had some of his gold, etc, discs up on the wall going up the stairs.

Malc

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 06:40:51 AM »
Great story, Joan, I love brush-with-fame stuff.

Always thought Roger Daltry sounded like a gunslinger. Except for the "Roger" bit.

Sorry Roger.

Joan

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 12:32:02 AM »
'Daltry' does sound a bit wild west, doesn't it?  I was always on the lookout for Roger (Daltry) in the back garden, but the most I got was his mum in her dressing gown and curlers.  :)

Malc

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 02:29:36 AM »
I used to work with Gordon McQueen's mum when I managed the Co-op in Kilbirnie. She wasn't the dressing gown and curlers type. She looked exactly like Gordon in a dress.

Calvin

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 02:51:41 AM »
*shudders*

Joan

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 06:00:30 AM »
Phew!  I couldn't think who Gordon McQueen was or what group he was in ... googled him and turns out he was just a footballer.  I believe I have actually heard of him.  ;)