Author Topic: Victoria Day Weekend thoughts (sentimental drivel)  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Victoria Day Weekend thoughts (sentimental drivel)
« on: May 21, 2007, 06:50:43 PM »
It is a holiday weekend in Canada (not sure if it is in Quebec too as they celebrate Bastille Day and we don?t have that one). I have my Union Jack flying in the gazebo and a red, white and blue tablecloth on the table out there. We will have supper out there tonight for as long as we can stand it before the mosquitoes attack us.

It has been a nice but quiet weekend ? no visitors.  My daughter was in a ballet recital on Saturday ? she is seven, she did a very good job, they danced to music from the Nightmare Before Christmas in classic black or white tutus ? there were only five girls in the class this year and she got much better instruction. Last year there were twelve girls in her group and their performance looked like the keystone cops in blue tutus. On Friday, she and I made 125 ballerina shaped sugar cookies and painted white tutus on them for the coffee break ? they were a big hit ? none came home. She won the third prize draw, which was a container full of summer toys ? she was made up.

My boys both got their yellow belts in Karate earlier this week and I was fortunate to be able to sit in when they were testing ? it was awesome! I like the atmosphere in Karate ? the whole group stood in formation with the three people aiming for the yellow belts and did the drills and exercises alongside them even if they themselves were testing for much higher belts. My fifteen year old managed to also score a 100% on an English essay he wrote ? I didn?t even know that was possible! Yes, this week was lovely ? parenting on the sunny side of the street.

And now I am hooked on Mandala making ?here is my Victoria Day one:

And here is my little Prima Donna...

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Victoria Day Weekend thoughts (sentimental drivel)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 07:56:50 PM »
Diane, I think what you've described is as near to Parenting Paradise as anyone gets.
The Mandala is highly impressive and your wee girl is lovely. (Though, being in the humour business, I could have done with a rampaging moose in the background).
Great stuff.

Offline Max

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 08:15:32 PM »
Diane, glad to hear you had such a wonderful weekend, lovely mandala (please tell me you called it Nelson) ignore spelling.
I remember the elder Scambell winning a 5k race and turning his dad into a hoarse loony over the last 350 yards.
The younger did the same as your boys with his karate, and yes, I loved the cameraderie and discipline too.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:25:44 PM »
Cool avatar, Max! (Note how I slip effortlessly into the jargon of the young).

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 10:10:37 PM »
Good to see you Max! You missed my first Mandala - I just started making them a few weeks ago when I turned 43, funnily enough I called that one Mandela's Mandala:

I agree Roger it was a rare golden week as a parent - but it is nice to have these moments to think about when the little buggers are up to no good. :D
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 01:52:58 AM »
I actually like hearing about other peoples kids doing well, or doing anything. Apart from drugs.

My older son is twice, nay thrice the athlete I ever was. He just came in third in a 7km cross country race against all the schools in S.E. Brisbane. He then went on to play for his school in a game the same afternoon (they lost) and trained for his club team in the evening.

The next day he couldn't play for his team because he was so exhausted he vomited.

I said he was a good athlete, not Superman.

My younger son couldn't give a monkey's. In his games he chats to his opponents even to the extent the ball passes them both by. He then gets phone calls from them asking him to sleepovers.
He looks like he's developing a six pack at the age of 12, but still sleeps with a toy monkey.

Diamond Lil

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 07:03:37 AM »
What a great weekend, Diane and so nice to see your cute wee girl.

I had a good time also...drove 5 hours to Bradford (never use Google maps - my instructions had me leaving the motorway one exit too early and then looking for a road which actually isn't there any longer) but at the end of it all was in time to arrive at a surprise 60th birthday for a friend that I was a student with a lifetime ago...the wrinkles and aches just fell away for an entire evening....

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 12:52:40 AM »
Love those mandalas, Diane! And your little Prima Donna is a picture of loveliness too-too.

I had a wonderful weekend also, with a long overdue trip to my native Scotland to spend some very precious time with my four daughters. The youngest (aged 9) was with me throughout, as we raced around between Edinburgh, Dundee and Perth to see her big sisters, with at one glorious point all five of us sitting down for a pub lunch together (plus two of the boyfriends, but my girls have chosen well, so no knuckle-draggers).

The other highlight of the weekend was to attend Daughter Number 2's (aged 22) degree show at Duncan of Jordanstone Art College in Dundee. While I was there, she found out she had just become a BA with a 2:1 degree.

Her older sister (aged 23) having achieved the same level of BSc degree last year at Aberdeen Uni, is about to become a fully qualified science teacher any minute now. She's waiting to hear where she will be placed for her first (guaranteed) year of employment. There is a definite chance she could end up teaching her youngest sister in a couple of years' time - she's not sure whether to like that idea or not.

The Degree Show was a real eye-opener, especially since my daughter had chosen not to display any of the works that had gained her an honours degree, but rather took the opportunity to highlight her growing cynicism towards the pretentiousness of the art establishment and its purveyors and practitioners, with a marvellously assembled collection of exhibits that must have taken her all morning to put together! The final of these was a small piece of paper (about 3" square) with a hastily scribbled drawing of yours truly she had done from a photograph she had of me, entitled 'Portrait Of The Artist's Father'. Proud? I can't begin to tell you!

I watched, with increasing fascination and amusement, the quizzically raised eyebrows of most of the other visitors to the show upon entering my daughter's allocated display area. Yes, part of me wanted to show them all what she is really capable of (far better artwork than her father could have created at her age), but the most of me was delighted by her bravery and humour, and I'm still chuckling about it now. I'd like to think I'd have had the courage to do as she has done, had I followed her route a quarter of a century ago (and I very nearly did), but I suspect my vanity wouldn't have allowed it. She was worried I wouldn't get it - I not only got it, I agreed with every square inch of it.

Daughter Number 3 (aged 19) will qualify as a fully trained hairstylist early next year. She chose to leave home at 16 and move to the big city (Edinburgh) to fend for herself, along with her boyfriend and two house cats. Despite her level-headedness and determination, she retains a childlike spirit that shines through in everything she does and stands her in very good stead. And she's recently given up smoking, this time for good (I hope).

My youngest is the most naturally funny child, loves to use big words (often correctly), and wants to work with animals some day. She knows more about gardening than I'll ever know, and writes very amusing and bizarre stories.

Can't wait for my next trip.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 02:50:32 AM »
Malc: Your oldest sounds like a real athelete. My boys aren?t very good at sports either ? I would be embarrassed to participate if I were them ? but no ? they don?t care if they run slow or have to go down the steps at the ice rink on his bum as little tots are passing him. You have to admire that in the human spirit. They are both pretty good at swimming through.

Diamond Lil: I?m glad you had a good time ?the benefits of a merry heart and a good laugh can last long past the event can?t they. I would have thought that the Google maps would have been up to date ? I get lost a lot so it is not really an issue for me anymore ? I just leave earlier.

TTIII: ? Your daughter #2 sounds spunky ? I like that. They must be quit different, almost opposites, your first two girls eh? You must miss them terribly, especially the youngest. But I guess it is good to have the odd rare idyllic weekend together than to not see them much at all. That is the nice thing with email and digital photos these days.