Author Topic: Something heartwarming about this KKK story...  (Read 1358 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

Something heartwarming about this KKK story...
« on: November 02, 2010, 10:21:30 AM »
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Something heartwarming about this KKK story...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:33:18 AM »
I think I find it more astonishing than heartwarming, Nige. This arsehole doesn't appear to be showing any remorse whatsoever and, instead, has cobbled together what can almost be described as a stand-up act. I realise that your "heartwarming" tag applies to the reverend's remarkable responses to these insane provocations---and I agree with you-- but, for me, the guy's smug, rehearsed story-telling over-rides all that.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:42:54 AM »
I see what you're saying, Roger, but I was looking at it from a "good triumphing over evil" perspective.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 01:36:01 AM »
To put it in context though, Roger, Johnny Lee Clary has apparently shown total remorse, and is now a preacher devoted to evangelising against racism, and anything but a friend of the KKK. In that light, this particular anecdote is very much at the expense of the KKK and in praise of the man who "defeated" them.   

Certainly, I think anyone has the right to question his motives and be cynical about his apparent celebrity within his 'conversion' (he was a high profile KKK spokesman beforehand - I remember him well from his appearance on Oprah some years back), but the appearance is that he is at least on a better path than the one he trod before. And that is a little heart-warming I think, even if it doesn't excuse the actions and ignorance of his past.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 03:28:05 AM »
It’s a win –win. One less bigot in the world and a ton of money saved on laundry detergent.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 08:04:11 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

As always, Diane - nail, square on the head. Brilliant!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »
Apologies, Tarks. My comments were based solely on this clip and Clary's smug delivery made me feel more than a little uncomfortable. I didn't know that he has since gone on to preach against racism and that is, well, heartwarming!

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 06:29:45 PM »
It’s a win –win. One less bigot in the world and a ton of money saved on laundry detergent.
;D