Author Topic: Bu@@er (again)!  (Read 3427 times)

Vulture

Bu@@er (again)!
« on: July 13, 2011, 02:02:09 PM »
I finally come to the time when I can request the speeding points be taken off my license when I get a letter saying I've 'earned' another three points - and for the measly sum of £60!

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: Bu@@er (again)!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:31:53 PM »
My Aunt Mary, who is over visiting from the UK is always in the same boat - worrying about her speeding tickets - she is 84 - in the olden days real cops wouldn't give speeding tickets to old ladies. These "Big Brother" cameras have no mercy.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
The thing that annoys me most is: I only went out at 6.30 in the morning to beat the rush hour. What the hell are machines doing spying on us at that hour!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 03:04:04 PM »
The thing that annoys me most is: I only went out at 6.30 in the morning to beat the rush hour. What the hell are machines doing spying on us at that hour!

An efficient job, obviously.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:20:26 PM »
Ah, the joys of being a non-driver!  No speeding tickets, no searching for places to park, no expensive cars followed by expensive insurance and expensive fuel. All I have to do is cross the road, stand at the bus-stop and then...wonder why the *&*&*&* bus never turned up.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 10:59:07 PM »
What happened to your chauffeur and limousine then?

Vulture

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 03:47:34 AM »
Well, as soon as my lottery winnings were gone, so was he!

Malc

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 07:58:33 AM »
I'm coming to the UK in August (landing on the 10th in London) and I'm looking for inside info regarding the best and cheapest way to travel rail - where to book tickets online in advance, etc. I'm finding it all confusing. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 10:41:04 AM »
Sorry, Malc.  I don't do rail (except on work assignments - then it's booked online for me).  There are a myriad of options for travelling by rail. As I'm paying an exorbitant amount for insurance and road tax, I use the car.

Possibly use www.thetrainline.com or, if you know the rail operator, use their website.

Going anywhere nice in Blighty?  If you are down Dorset way let me know (if you like).

Malc

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 07:46:30 AM »
I will indeed be in Dorset, as my sister lives in Gillingham (for the non-yokels, that is Gillingham with a hard "G" not the one on Kent) and I'll be staying with her for a couple of nights. My son lives in Bristol, so that's another couple of nights. Maybe closer to the time we can swap numbers and I'll join you for a pint?

Joan

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 02:04:13 PM »
I used Bill's suggestion of thetrainline.com when I went from Edinburgh to London last time I was in the UK. Was amazed at how easy, fast, and a lot more comfortable than it used to be, it was. Make sure you book a seat, though, Malc. That's around the time I travelled in 2008 and it was really busy.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 02:51:39 PM »
It probably wouldn't be ethical for me to promote the train-ticket buying links on my websites...

Here...

Here...

and

Here...
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 11:33:51 PM »
I will indeed be in Dorset, as my sister lives in Gillingham (for the non-yokels, that is Gillingham with a hard "G" not the one on Kent) and I'll be staying with her for a couple of nights. My son lives in Bristol, so that's another couple of nights. Maybe closer to the time we can swap numbers and I'll join you for a pint?
Not a problem, Malc.  Hope we can meet up and swap BFES stories? Or more up to date ones!

Funnily enough, my son is also living in Bristol (in Horfield).

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 11:37:18 PM »
It probably wouldn't be ethical for me to promote the train-ticket buying links on my websites...

Here...

Here...

and

Here...

There, I've done it now.  I've "liked" your website on Facebook and bookmarked it.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 10:56:50 AM »

Here...

Here...

and

Here...

There, I've done it now.  I've "liked" your website on Facebook and bookmarked it.

You've just done that to antagonise Mincykins.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟