Author Topic: A fad's a fad for a' that.  (Read 2065 times)

Sandy Buttcheeks

A fad's a fad for a' that.
« on: March 17, 2013, 03:57:54 PM »
Ok. I admit it. Sometimes even the cynical moi, gets caught up in a fad. Today I did an 80 mile round trip, in horrendous driving conditions (not the weather, it wasn't too bad, but I had to change RockRadio to Radio 2...my poor ears  :(),all to get some doughnuts. Not any doughnuts mind you, Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

Now I'm not a total head-in-the-sand type guy, but I had never heard of these beasties before. "They're beautiful, Dad", seemed the consensus of opinion, not that any Buttcheek had ever tried them before, but who am I to argue? So off I set, Satnav on, radio on, wallet blissfully unaware of the impending loss. 50 miles later and the Butcheeks are dizzy from roundabouts that don't even exist in the satnav. Then just...just...as I prepare to swallow my male pride and ask someone directions, I take yet another wrong turn, ignore my e-companions instructions to do a u-turn, and happen upon a mass of bodies that would put a Glasgow benefits queue to shame. We had arrived.

"You go dear, and I'll find a parking space" says I. My cleverness pleased me. It shouldn't have...fate is a fickle mistress. Just as the daughter and I reached the queue, wifey just near the front, I should have known by the frantic waving that something was amiss. It was...wifey's purse was amiss in her bag in the boot.

2 dozen doughnuts later, wallet lighter, the smiles on the families females not affecting me one iota, I wonder why on earth I allowed myself to get caught up in this.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to ponder this over a coffee and the first of many doughnuts...

>:(

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: A fad's a fad for a' that.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Next time buy 10 dozen and sell the extras to your neighbours to help pay for the gas.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Egg

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 11:15:01 AM »
You failed to mention if the trip was worth it!

I'm partial to a doughnut or 3, but 80 miles! 80 miles to a gig or motorbike racing, sure, doughnuts!

They'd have to be the Dogs ......... ;)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:55:19 PM »
I must admit that, when I read this post initially, my first thought was similar to Egg's. Why on earth would anyone travel 80 miles for some doughnuts? (I'm assuming a nude Jennifer Aniston isn't juggling them). I don't have a sweet tooth and can't remember the last time---if ever---that I ate a doughnut. It's an interesting question, though. How far would you travel for your favourite food? I would go to Portugal for some sea bass in a certain beach restaurant but that's more to do with the location than the food. Likewise, there's nothing I enjoy more than a breakfast of scrambled eggs and bacon in a Montana diner but, once again, that's all about the location. Nah, there's nothing I'd travel any distance for. I wouldn't even cross the road for a doughnut. 80 miles? Sheesh!

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:37:19 PM »
Ah guys, guys, guys...the dogs danglie-bits they were indeed. Would I do the trip again? Yep, but only as a treat admittedly, and if Jennifer Aniston dared to be juggling them naked, then she would be chastised most severely (hold that thought  :P), and told to leave well alone. Ok, maybe not, but they were really good.

You are right though, Roger. If I could sit in Rome eating pasta and pondering what ice-cream to over indulge in, I would do it in a minute. Distance would never be an issue, and neither would a nude Jennifer Aniston for that matter.

Honest.   ..0

Malc

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 03:16:07 AM »
I'm back in Oz for the moment, and I can assure you that Krispy Kremes have developed the same mystique here. Kiosks, rather than shops, and only set up in large turnover shopping malls in big towns or motorway stops. Oddly, some outlets have since closed, so I can only assume people became immune to their unique appeal.
I'm diabetic so I don't partake of hideously sweet stuff, but by all accounts I'm not missing THAT much.

Egg

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 07:47:42 AM »
As this thread now seems to be as much about Jennifer Aniston as it is sweet sticky things, and at the
risk of being labelled sexist, interesting fact about Ms Aniston. :o

When filming Friends, and to take full advantage of her best bits, they would cut 2 small round holes
in her bra!  :P

I'll crawl back under my rock now!

Jerry Attrick

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 07:11:48 PM »
The local Greggs for me every time. (other local bakers may be available...)

Quality at a fraction of the price. And no queues blocking the M8/Edin bypass!!!

Try Greggs Fudge do'nuts or their bacon rolls - stomach food magic.

Egg

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 08:38:47 AM »
The local Greggs for me every time. (other local bakers may be available...)

Quality at a fraction of the price. And no queues blocking the M8/Edin bypass!!!

Try Greggs Fudge do'nuts or their bacon rolls - stomach food magic.

If we're going down the Greggs route, then it has to be Greggs Sausage Rolls.