Author Topic: Funny things, accents.  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Funny things, accents.
« on: June 22, 2007, 06:56:01 PM »
I can't remember if it was The Peepmaster or Mince who named this particular section of the site "Just A Fort". Both of these fine gentlemen are English and that explains the tortured pun on "just a thought". I find accents fascinating. The words "fort" and "thought", to the Scottish ear, are a million miles apart. I guess this is based on the Cockney/South of England dialect which would turn "thought" into "fawrt". Weird but fascinating.
Well, I think so.

Tom

Re: Funny things, accents.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 08:12:02 PM »
I always have a problem when someone with a scottish accent spells a word with "Ji" in it... it's either a G or a J, but I always get it wrong. After many a year on the phone I always get it wrong.

And how do people pronounce almond now?

And, would accents and pronunciations be the same thing??

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 08:43:47 PM »
My son and I were sat there fascinated listening to the Canterbury tales read out loud in olde English on the Knowledge network last night as they discussed the progression of English language through the middle ages ? well I thought we were fascinated ? turns out my son was playing Gameboy.  I had assumed that the words that I could understand in the writing were pronounced in their present day form ? no, no ? no ? they sounded like the Elfen people in Lord of the Rings or perhaps Glaswegians.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 09:18:13 PM »
I pronounce "almond"..."ahmond". I hate nuts anyway. And cheese.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 09:43:34 PM »
Ah - this is where I part company with Roger. I love nuts...and cheese.

However, we do pronounce ahmond the same way.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 09:43:24 AM »
I say "Ally-moondi", which is considered an extremely unusual pronunciation of "cheddar".
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟