Author Topic: 50 Years Ago Today: Nostra Aetate  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
50 Years Ago Today: Nostra Aetate
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »
I missed the five-hundredth anniversary of the Battle of Agincourt last Sunday, which is a shame because I can quote most of the Shakespeare speech. "If we are marked to die, we something or other . . ."

But fifty years ago today was the Declaration on the Relation of the Church with Non-Christian Religions, known as the Nostra Aetate, something I did not know about until today. I read some of it, such as its comments about Hinduism and Buddhism, about which it states that the church "rejects nothing that is true and holy in these religions", regarding with "sincere reverence" its "ways of conduct and of life" that "reflect a ray of that Truth which enlightens all men". But it's most famous for changing the relationship between Catholics and Jews, stating "His passion cannot be charged against all the Jews, without distinction, then alive, nor against the Jews of today" and that the Church "decries hatred, persecutions, displays of anti-Semitism, directed against Jews at any time and by anyone".

So there you go: Nostra Aetate. Don't say you don't learn anything on this site.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: 50 Years Ago Today: Nostra Aetate
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 01:58:09 PM »
Sounds like  good read. Are there any sequels?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 06:21:17 PM »
I believe it's a trilogy. Spielberg is probably making it into a film.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »
That's interesting.
A quick glance at the Nostra Aetate link suggests that the catholic hierarchy regard God as a "he" and their religion as a "she".
Anyway, I need to get my concept of the afterlife sorted out quickly. Two weeks ago, I had a bacon sandwich for breakfast which, according to recent reports, means that I will die a horrible death a week on Tuesday.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 09:14:14 PM »
You should try fasting two days out of seven. It's meant to have great health benefits. I'm not sure it will cure bacon though.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 01:24:04 AM »
That's interesting.
A quick glance at the Nostra Aetate link suggests that the catholic hierarchy regard God as a "he" and their religion as a "she".
Anyway, I need to get my concept of the afterlife sorted out quickly. Two weeks ago, I had a bacon sandwich for breakfast which, according to recent reports, means that I will die a horrible death a week on Tuesday.

That's a shame, I was going to take you out for a bacon buttie a week on Wednesday. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad