Author Topic: It's amazing that even after 37 years...  (Read 10684 times)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: It's amazing that even after 37 years...
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 12:07:18 PM »
Dog...bone.......  ..0
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 12:10:40 PM »
I bet you say that to everyone you lose an argument with.  ;D

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 12:17:43 PM »
Something else I must have missed.
I apologise, in advance.

Redundant

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 02:33:01 PM »

Oh, Red, that was a huge life-changing decision to make at the age of ten. Mind you, it seems you managed to educate yourself exceptionally well, and all without the intervention of teachers. :)

Nice try for a steal Mince but actually I was inspired by at least two teachers, even though my stay in full time education was both haphazard and brief.   Living up to what they both gave me has been and remains a part of my personality, and though I have imagined both of them shaking their heads in despair occasionally, I have never imagined either ever giving up on me.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 10:15:48 PM »
Some remarkable and hugely enjoyable stuff from Red and Sandy on this thread. (Red, I agree with Tarks that you have a book in you somewhere!)
A few distractions have meant that I haven't contributed as much as I'd have liked recently, and I really, really, REALLY don't want to go over the education debate again, but I found myself nodding in agreement with Red's last post. I had at least three teachers who shaped my career and, therefore, my life. As a teenager, I wrote all sorts of daft short stories. I showed one of them to my English teacher at the time and he gave me nothing but encouragement. He asked me to pass on everything I wrote, which he would read in his spare time before offering me advice and giving me a belief that I could possibly make a living from my writing. Obviously, he had absolutely no need to spend his evenings wading through my juvenile ramblings...but he did. I will be forever grateful.
Look, I personally don't care if people choose to educate their children at school, at home or at a Moonies'  Summer camp. I just want to say that there were some great teachers around and, I'm sure, there still are.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 11:26:40 PM »
Obviously, he had absolutely no need to spend his evenings wading through my juvenile ramblings...but he did. I will be forever grateful.

But you could argue that this merely makes him a great person, irrespective of whether he was a teacher. He could just as easily have been a family friend, or librarian, or scout leader, or a member of a creative writing group, or a neighbour who enjoyed writing. I dare say if you had been locked up in a prison instead of a school, there would have been a friendly prison guard who liked your writing. I'm not belittling what he did for you, just questioning whether you had to go to school for it to happen.

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 12:21:34 AM »
[. . . to be reposted . . .]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 01:07:53 AM by Mince »
I apologise, in advance.

Egg

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 08:44:06 AM »
[. . . to be reposted . . .]

Is this thread also about to be removed!  (*coat*)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 09:35:06 AM »
How would you like to be an admin, Egg?

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 10:49:52 AM »
How would you like to be an admin, Egg?

I think that's a threat.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 11:02:01 AM »
 ;D

Redundant

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 05:58:29 PM »
But you could argue that this merely makes him a great person, irrespective of whether he was a teacher. He could just as easily have been a family friend, or librarian, or scout leader, or a member of a creative writing group, or a neighbour who enjoyed writing. I dare say if you had been locked up in a prison instead of a school, there would have been a friendly prison guard who liked your writing. I'm not belittling what he did for you, just questioning whether you had to go to school for it to happen.

To be honest I think the point you make is...pointless.   Of course these people were great people [one of my inspirations was also an English teacher] and they were teachers, so what?   You argued I had educated myself without the intervention of teachers, and I simply corrected you, in fact the good part of me [which includes the educated part] probably has more to do with those two gentlemen than any other individuals I can think of.  Nothing in any of that has anything to do with a particular form of education, public, private, home schooling et al.

Like most parents, before you, with you and after you, you are making decisions you think are best for your children, based on whatever data is available, and like most parents you won't actually know if you were right or wrong until it's too late.   Even if you get it right, all of the time, every decision, something can still come along and mess it all up, you just hope it doesn't.

You do your best, you try your hardest, you never stop telling them you love them, all the rest is wait and see.   On a personal note, if I got to pick a dad [instead of the way it normally works] you'd get my vote.

Redundant

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 06:03:51 PM »
It's a hard life when all you have is a book to hug. Sounds like you should be writing one, Red.

Some remarkable and hugely enjoyable stuff from Red and Sandy on this thread. (Red, I agree with Tarks that you have a book in you somewhere!)

I thank you both for that, there are at least half a dozen First Chapters in existence, so maybe one day I'll amalgamate that lot and get on with the next chapter  :)

Sorry, it struck me that I'd like to add to this slightly, in that I think if I ever did write a book I'd rather do a Robert Noonan.   Using the pen name Robert Tressell he wrote one of the greatest social commentaries I have ever read, "The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists", but died before it was published in 1914.   On that basis mine should be finished when I'm 183...   If you haven't read "The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists" please, please, please do at some point.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:21:41 PM by Redundant »

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »
Obviously, he had absolutely no need to spend his evenings wading through my juvenile ramblings...but he did. I will be forever grateful.

Here is pretty much what I said in my earlier deleted post, minus a few personal details I was asked to edit, and was happy to do so. Their removal in no way affects what I wanted to say...

Okay, last word on this from me.

Mincey, you will do what you will do, and I wish you well with whatever you decide on the home-schooling front.

This is the bit that doesn't seem to get through to you though. It is absolutely NOT necessary for you to grind the current education system, schools and teachers into the dust in order to justify your decision (and it is your decision, not your children’s) to go for home schooling. Whilst some of us have tried to put forward our own perspective and opinions about the pros and cons as we see it, I don't recall seeing anyone trying to paint home schooling in the same light you appear to be determined to paint schools and teachers; as being a complete waste of space and time. That may have been your experience, and I'm sure you are not unique in that, but as you've read from many of us here, it is certainly not the experience of us all. Some of us look back fondly to our school days, and recognise their value, both educationally, socially and emotionally, and are more than happy to credit them with helping to shape the good side of who we are today.

You don't need to try and convince us we're deluded, looking through rose-coloured glasses, or that we'd have been infinitely better had we been taught by our parents at home. We don't need to hear that, but you seem to need to reinforce it in order to justify your choice. You don't need to do that. Some of us liked our schools, our teachers, and the friends we made at school, many of them for life.

And some of us may have had close connections with schools beyond our own schooling. We may even have been teachers ourselves, had kids who have been through the education system, served on school boards, or even have children who have gone on to become teachers themselves, and who value their profession greatly. I fit three out of those four categories. Your persistence in trying to rubbish what connects all of that, taints all of that.

By all means, go for home schooling. You're certainly smart enough and qualified to do so. And any children you have may even be smart enough to do it all by themselves, who knows? Good luck!

But this is one occasion where you don’t need to destroy in order to build.

Now, give it a rest, please.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2016, 10:01:20 PM »
Roger said: I really, really, REALLY don't want to go over the education debate again and then he said: but, which means he is going to say something that has something to do with the education debate. He said: I found myself nodding in agreement with Red's last post. I had at least three teachers who shaped my career and, therefore, my life. Now you can't get clearer than that. 1. He's adding to the debate and 2. he's stating that these people shaped his career because they were teachers.

If you are locked up for 35 hours a week with teachers as the only great adults that you can meet, then of course if some great adult shapes your life (other than your parents), it's highly likely to be a teacher. That's just basic statistics.

That was my point: you don't need to attend school to meet these great people. So how stating that there are great people who are teachers and great people who are not is to "grind the current education system, schools and teachers into the dust" baffles me.

As for this "last word on this from me" and "give it a rest", the correct school parlance is "no returns" or "no backsies". If you no longer wish to indulge in a debate (and that's always fair enough, especially given that I often debate doggedly, sarcastically, even irreverently), simply not posting works a treat. But surely it's intellectually unsporting to state that you "really, really" no longer wish to indulge and still throw in an obvious rebuttal, or to add way more than your two-pennies worth without intending to hear the other side.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:17:22 PM by Mince »