Author Topic: It's amazing that even after 37 years...  (Read 10685 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: It's amazing that even after 37 years...
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 10:03:54 PM »
On a personal note, if I got to pick a dad [instead of the way it normally works] you'd get my vote.

Thank you for that. I hope any children I have feel the same way. But they'll probably find me tiresome. :)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2016, 10:43:30 PM »
Roger said: I really, really, REALLY don't want to go over the education debate again and then he said: but, which means he is going to say something that has something to do with the education debate. He said: I found myself nodding in agreement with Red's last post. I had at least three teachers who shaped my career and, therefore, my life. Now you can't get clearer than that. 1. He's adding to the debate and 2. he's stating that these people shaped his career because they were teachers.

If you are locked up for 35 hours a week with teachers as the only great adults that you can meet, then of course if some great adult shapes your life (other than your parents), it's highly likely to be a teacher. That's just basic statistics.

That was my point: you don't need to attend school to meet these great people. So how stating that there are great people who are teachers and great people who are not is to "grind the current education system, schools and teachers into the dust" baffles me.

As for this "last word on this from me" and "give it a rest", the correct school parlance is "no returns" or "no backsies". If you no longer wish to indulge in a debate (and that's always fair enough, especially given that I often debate doggedly, sarcastically, even irreverently), simply not posting works a treat. But surely it's intellectually unsporting to state that you "really, really" no longer wish to indulge and still throw in an obvious rebuttal, or to add way more than your two-pennies worth without intending to hear the other side.

You appear to be morphing Roger and me into one entity, or confusing which of us said what. Either that, or you now feel you're under some sort of pincer attack. Neither is the truth. You also seem to be conveniently ignoring everything else you've ever posted about this, stretching back further than your last reply to Roger, which is certainly what my own response alluded to, and not simply that one post.

And before I'm picked up on my declaration that my last post would be my last word, that would be in relation to the home-schooling versus evil schools debate, and not, as is the case here, your dogged, sarcastic and irreverent debating style. To which I'm tempted to add 'deeply flawed', in light of the above. But I shall restrain myself, for fear of provoking further evidence of same.

But do feel free to continue arguing with yourself.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:05:11 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2016, 10:54:33 PM »
 ;D

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2016, 11:01:43 PM »
I surrender.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 11:17:24 PM »
I'm starting to wonder whether Dennis is looking up at a very small flying nomad, or whether the nomad is in the background and Dennis is looking up at something else.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2016, 12:17:22 AM »
I surrender.

I'll wave your white flag.

Terrible weather for the time of year, eh?

Redundant

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2016, 01:06:46 AM »
If you can't stop them stealing your topic...join them.   I was looking up at Orion tonight, of course I didn't know it was Orion at the time, but I identified it by spotting three stars in a short straight row, and then hit Google when I came inside.   Apparently those three stars are called the belt stars [Orion's Belt...who knew?], also known as the Three Kings or The Three Sisters.   They even have names, "Alnitak", "Alnilam" and "Colin".    I then went back outside and tried to spot the rest of the constellation, but the sky wasn't having any of it, I shall have to try again.  The adventure that is my life, continues.

...but I found myself nodding in agreement with Red's last post.

That might not have been agreement Roger, it might have just been time for your nap...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:16:36 AM by Redundant »

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2016, 06:56:30 AM »
If you can't stop them stealing your topic...join them.   I was looking up at Orion tonight

Join them? That's quite a tenuous segue from Dennis looking up. I guess I'll have to do the same.

I was wondering this morning whether to just throw on a washed but crumpled t-shirt Orion it first.

Redundant

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2016, 04:51:08 PM »

I was wondering this morning whether to just throw on a washed but crumpled t-shirt Orion it first.

Okay, I'm sorry but that is terrible, just terrible, I beg you, please, please leave the puns to the professionals [Sandy].   My star gazing is clearly in its infancy, let me at least enjoy the first flush of undiscovered territory before you litter it with, terrible, just terrible [did I mention terrible?] comments of such [terrible] ilk.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2016, 11:44:29 PM »
I used to stargaze too, Red. On semi cloudy nights, you can get a better view of the stars  if you take a shot of Senokot.

It always helped move my constellation.

Offline Max

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
Played havoc with my planetoids though Sandy.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2016, 11:39:21 PM »
Strange rings around Uranus?