Author Topic: How's everyone doing?  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

How's everyone doing?
« on: June 24, 2021, 01:06:59 AM »
How are things working out with covid restrictions and vaccinations etc where you live?

I had my second shot yesterday and our province is opening up fully on July 1st for Canada Day. Our town is putting on it's usual firework display - a crowd gathers in field each year to watch them.

It seems funny after all this time, that things are just like that - back to normal.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: How's everyone doing?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 09:57:24 AM »
Things are still pretty chaotic over here, Diane, with different restrictions in different regions. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what the rules are where I live. I think I'm allowed to have six people from six different households in my home, as long as they're all wearing diving helmets and standing on one leg. In my garden, I'm allowed fifteen people from fifteen different households if we all lie face down on the lawn, two metres apart. From the middle of July, we will be allowed to wave to a neighbour across the street if we wear gloves.
To answer your initial question, I'm fine!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 04:06:29 PM »
The cases in Dundee are pretty wild at the moment, three times the national average.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 07:57:00 PM »
Mince, you're back! And with your usual cheery input!
Yes, the situation in Dundee is concerning. I live in Fife, where the figures are more than three times lower, but any Covid-19 hotspot is a concern. I gave a jokey response to Diane's kindly enquiry because we've reached a situation where nobody is sure of their local restrictions. People are tiring of lockdowns/partial lockdowns and are becoming more willing to take their own risks.
Time (and an enquiry in ten years time) will tell how this pandemic has been handled.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 11:21:47 PM »
the 'level 2" restrictions in place until July 1st are confusing here too.

It is like anything that money is handed over is okay - visiting grandma is a no-no. I suggested Grandma charge for her chicken dinner. Same with weddings and funerals - only 20 people UNLESS you hold the reception at a movie cinema were its 20% capacity (my idea)

People are dying here with the Delta variant, even people with both shots - makes you wonder if things are safe enough to fully open in only a week.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 04:55:18 PM »
My second vaccination was delayed by three weeks after I developed a slightly alarming and persistent cough three days before the initial appointed hour. The ensuing Covid test (my first, and hopefully my last) proved negative, but the NHS decided I needed to wait a full fortnight after the cough disappeared (which it did overnight on the eve of my original appointment) before rescheduling. Jag2 finally happened about 10 days ago, so I am now superhuman... but as Roger points out (we live in adjacent counties), even we superhumans still have rules to follow, whether we're wearing our capes or not.

The Delta variant is certainly concerning, though more its speed of transmission than those actually hospitalised, which, thanks to the vaccines, still appears to be low. The worry is, of course, should any variant come to light that can beat the vaccines, we'll all virtually be back to Square One. Though, with at least a lot more knowledge and experience than those twin zeros when this all kicked off at the start of 2020.

This has literally changed the world we live in, not just for now, but forever I feel. Some of that - in fact a lot of it, is good, and hopefully will endure, and we'll all take a little more care to protect what's most important to us in future. That would at least make some small sense of the madness.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Max

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 09:19:27 PM »
Pretty much the same here in Dumbarton though the infection rate isn't as bad as in Dundee.
Since I had my second injection back in April I'm less worried about catching Covid.
We worry so much about this virus yet worse is happening every day.
My brother in law called the doctor because his left leg was swollen, they advised hospital and he went.
To cut a long story short, Archie was dead of cancer three weeks later, which was all the time they reckoned he had left.
A big guy, healthy looking just 65 in February. More like a brother than an in-law.
Apologies for this being such a downer.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 10:01:00 PM »
So sorry to hear that, Max. Despite my feeble attempt to put a bit of gloss on it, it’s been a horrendous 18 months all over the globe, and of course that’s not all down to this infernal virus.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 09:37:42 AM »
That's awful news, Max. It has been one of the terrible side-effects of this pandemic---and the way it's been handled---that people with other ailments have been unable to get treatment.
My sympathies.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 05:58:01 PM »
Sorry for your family's loss Max.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 02:24:16 AM »
We are having a heatwave with historic temps, tomorrow is supposed to be the worst at 44 forecast.

Just as Thursday covid rules open up, this heatwave is killing off seniors and vulnerable people.

Our hay crop is in danger.

I am so thankful that we have a basement to take refuge in. 

It seems that I am always moaning about the temps, but that is only because they are often truly awful.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 05:34:54 PM »
Diane, I was going to ask how you were coping with that freaky heatwave---it's even made the news over here. 44 degrees is just crazy hot. Stay cool, girl!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 04:59:09 AM »
Finally things are starting to cool off on this evening of Canada Day. Between the historic heat wave cancelling firework displays and the general somber mood of the country after discovering all the unmarked graves of indigenous children at forced residential schools all over the country. Canada Day without covid restrictions came in more with a whimper than a big bang.

We had my husbands cousin and wife for supper last night (drop in) and invited my nephew and wife today for supper. It has been so long since we have had anyone in the house - I don't remember being this social butterfly.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 02:54:29 PM »
That was a heart-breaking story about those kids in the "white man's" schools, Diane. I'd read of similar atrocities in the States, particularly South Dakota, but had no idea it had also happened north of the border. In fact, the Sioux leader, Sitting Bull, took his people into Canada because he regarded "Grandmother's Land" as a fair and just country where they would be treated with respect.
Yet another desperately sad part of history.

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 11:31:36 AM »
Heart-breaking indeed, Roger, and utterly shocking. Man's inhumanity to man is well-documented, nothing new, and tragic enough. But inhumanity to children is something I will never understand. I earnestly hope I never will, but whatever lessons there are to learn here, we must heed them.
I apologise, in advance.