Author Topic: How's everyone doing?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: How's everyone doing?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2021, 10:22:16 AM »
Yes, I spent some time yesterday reading about it on various forums whose members had relatives who were subjected to this. They spoke of the massive holes in their family trees. And three-quarters of the places were run by the clergy, who took records of the children brought there and those that died, and are at the moment refusing to release those records. And I hope the Canadian government is providing the money and resources to uncover the whole of this atrocity, otherwise they are merely perpetuating it. The whole thing made me sad and angry.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 03:46:46 PM »
The Canadian government funded the system to "take the Indian out of the man" - the churches ran it, mostly Catholic but some protestant ones too as a paid service to the government.

Canada had a strong record of racism before the 1950s setting it up with white European settlers.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 12:40:09 PM »
I'm okay thanks, Diane. Not quite as cheery as I was before reading the posts. I'm looking forward to some happier and more optimistic times.

I only came onto the forum because I just saw that Dundee Utd won yesterday, and I always try to get on here when they win.

Hadn't realised that Newport and Dundee were in different counties, Roger. I suppose the River Tay must be a natural boundary. Obvious when I think about it. You must think I'm as thick as mince, as the expression goes...

#nooffence
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 12:47:28 PM »
I just noticed that the Nomad looks as though he's diving whilst holding the Search field. Has anyone else noticed that?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2021, 08:14:42 PM »
I have now!
Nige, United have now won three games in a row. The world is a crazy place at the moment.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 07:47:17 AM »
I have now!
Nige, United have now won three games in a row. The world is a crazy place at the moment.

I hope you still manage to go and cheer them on. Or will do when restrictions are lifted! 👍🧡🖤