Author Topic: Article 42  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Article 42
« on: July 05, 2021, 10:31:34 AM »
I have two daughters, three and five, and just a few days ago I read out to my eldest the entirety of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. If you have not read the forty-two articles, click on this link: https://downloads.unicef.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/UNCRC_summary-1_1.pdf

The full version is here: https://downloads.unicef.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/unicef-convention-rights-child-uncrc.pdf

Article 42 (knowledge of rights) states: States Parties undertake to make the principles and provisions of the Convention widely known, by appropriate and active means, to adults and children alike.

In other words, children have the right to know about their rights and parents should be made aware of this.

I made it clear to my daughter that neither her friends, nor her family, nor the government were allowed to take away her rights.

I'm just wondering how many here, in the thirty-two years since this convention was signed by 140 countries, have been made aware even of the existence of this convention, let alone the need to make their children aware of it.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Article 42
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 11:08:36 AM »
If it’s not covered by “Don’t talk to strangers”, then I’ve probably been very remiss. My only defence is that I was very busy when my four daughters were that age, and they never listened to a word I said anyway.

But, well done!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 12:57:43 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 12:47:59 PM »
If it’s not covered by “Don’t talk to strangers”, then I’ve probably been very remiss. My only defence is that I was very busy when my four daughters were that age, and they never listened to a word I said anyway.

My post was not an accusation against parents. The UK government signed the convention and then clearly did nothing to ensure parents and children alike were made aware of it.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 12:55:20 PM »
Fair enough. But any government/UN issue with 42 articles in it would probably have lost me miles before the end anyway (my limit is about 3). Your eldest is obviously made of sterner stuff. Well done, her! :)
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 06:52:39 PM »
I can't say I was anything other than vaguely aware of this. I suppose something like this should be welcome but I'm not sure I have any great faith in anything governments come up with these days.
However let me echo Tarks---well done, Mince and daughter!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 07:47:37 PM »
My children had the right to remain silent.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 10:58:36 PM »

Did they ever exercise that right?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 03:24:16 PM »

Did they ever exercise that right?

Yes, they are a damn sulky lot.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad