Author Topic: Andy Capp Turns 65 This Year.  (Read 963 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

Andy Capp Turns 65 This Year.
« on: May 04, 2022, 04:37:16 PM »
Remarkable, and wonderful that our Roger played a part in the journey.

👍
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Andy Capp Turns 65 This Year.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 06:40:48 PM »
I was made aware of this some time ago, Nige. As I recall, there is to be an exhibition at the cartoon gallery in London with a Q and A session on one of the evenings. There is also to be a special radio programme. I turned down the offer to appear in both for a couple of reasons. One, these things should be all about the genius of Reg Smythe and two, I hate talking about my work, particularly to an audience! My eleven years writing Andy Capp, while personally enjoyable, had absolutely nothing to do with the strip's success. EVERYTHING was down to Reg the creator, writer and artist. The guy was, quite simply, the best.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 10:29:22 PM »
What about the one week I drew it - surely that was massively significant? No-one ever talks about that. Apart from me...
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 09:32:42 AM »
There's going to be a special exhibition for that!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 01:42:41 PM »
Fair dos, Roger, though I was hoping for a documentary.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 05:52:44 PM »
I was made aware of this some time ago, Nige. As I recall, there is to be an exhibition at the cartoon gallery in London with a Q and A session on one of the evenings. There is also to be a special radio programme. I turned down the offer to appear in both for a couple of reasons. One, these things should be all about the genius of Reg Smythe and two, I hate talking about my work, particularly to an audience! My eleven years writing Andy Capp, while personally enjoyable, had absolutely nothing to do with the strip's success. EVERYTHING was down to Reg the creator, writer and artist. The guy was, quite simply, the best.

You are, as usual, too modest, Roger. Without your intervention and continuation of the strip, it would have ended with a flat cap floating on a canal. See, I remember stuff, even though I’m becoming senile. 😎👍
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 08:29:13 PM »
An in-joke, Nige, but I love it!