Author Topic: Variety of Scottish Insults  (Read 918 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Variety of Scottish Insults
« on: October 23, 2022, 06:01:55 PM »
I discovered Scot Squad this year which I think is pretty brilliant in small doses. What has puzzled me is the vast variety of insulting terms used against the ne’er do wells. At first I thought they were interchangeable but then I looked some of them up in the urban dictionary and there are subtle differences in the derogatory name meanings. Tube is an innocent fool, were bam is below average mentality, but if the person has an orange tan then they move to a ned.

To have such a wide choice must be unique to Scotland eh?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Variety of Scottish Insults
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 06:53:20 PM »
:D Glad you've discovered it, Diane.

I had never seen it before returning to Scotland to live five years ago, after 15 years exile south of the border. I was channel-hopping one evening and stumbled across it. It took several minutes of incredulous head-scratching before the penny dropped that it's a spoof.

I love it! Every character is at least plausible, and beautifully portrayed, Particular favourites are (of course) Chief Cameron Miekelson, Officer Karen, and Ken Beattie, but they all have their strengths, as do the assorted bams, tubes and neds.

Enjoy!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 06:54:52 PM »
I like Scot Squad a lot, Diane---it has some brilliant sequences and some terrific characters. And, yes, we Scots are quite inventive when it comes to insults. (By the way, "bam" is a contraction of "bampot". I've no idea where either comes from.)
Anyway, glad you're enjoying some sophisticated Scottish humour!

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 06:56:26 PM »
Typed at the same time as fellow Scot, Tarks!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 04:13:17 PM »
:D Glad you've discovered it, Diane.

I had never seen it before returning to Scotland to live five years ago, after 15 years exile south of the border. I was channel-hopping one evening and stumbled across it. It took several minutes of incredulous head-scratching before the penny dropped that it's a spoof.

I love it! Every character is at least plausible, and beautifully portrayed, Particular favourites are (of course) Chief Cameron Miekelson, Officer Karen, and Ken Beattie, but they all have their strengths, as do the assorted bams, tubes and neds.

Enjoy!

Those are my three favourites too :-)  I first saw the Kangalivery piece in my FB newsfeed and I was not sure what I was watching - in the end I couldn't believe that the police weren't issued with Swiss army knives so dug a little deeper and found it was a mocumentary. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 04:16:33 PM »
I like Scot Squad a lot, Diane---it has some brilliant sequences and some terrific characters. And, yes, we Scots are quite inventive when it comes to insults. (By the way, "bam" is a contraction of "bampot". I've no idea where either comes from.)
Anyway, glad you're enjoying some sophisticated Scottish humour!

It is pretty amazing when you find out that it is only partially scripted, those actors are brilliant.