Author Topic: National Book Day  (Read 958 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

National Book Day
« on: August 09, 2023, 07:30:52 PM »
What are you reading?

Right now I am having a personal Agatha Christie festival  reading and watching.  Reading "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd"  I had only ever watched her stuff on screen before, which I like for the costumes and set - but now after reading a few books this month, I am all about the clues and the plot LOL

Funny to think this book was written 97 years ago.   
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: National Book Day
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 09:49:11 AM »
I've just finished reading Tom Hanks' novel "The Making of Another Motion Picture Masterpiece". I was a bit dubious when I was given it but I thoroughly enjoyed it. He writes really well.
I have now moved on to Daphne du Maurier's "My Cousin Rachel" (only 72 years old, Diane!) and the first few chapters are very promising.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 06:57:49 PM »
Its like time travel isn't it. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 03:21:26 PM »
Its like time travel isn't it.

Literarily (see what I tried to do there...?

I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 07:23:07 PM »
Perfect :-)

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 07:30:06 PM »
Best book I read this month was Somebody's Fool by Richard Russo - it is the last book in the North Bath trilogy. The first book was made into one of my all-time favourite movies, Nobody's Fool staring Paul Newman.

It was really lovely to revisit and find that Rub's jelly donuts were still taken care of.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 07:14:26 PM »
I'm still trying to get through "My Cousin Rachel". Absolutely loving it but trying to find the time is difficult as our granddaughter is with us three days a week. I've become brilliant at building with a set of bricks she has. (I can't remember the name of them but they're like double-sized Lego). The trouble is, when I create an architectural masterpiece, she comes along and either adds stupid, random bricks to it or knocks the whole thing over. I'm thinking about banning her from touching them.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 05:28:59 PM »
lol - there is probably a support group out there for your situation Roger - Grandpas in Garages - grandpas get together and build  with Duplo and eat all the good biscuits. 

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 06:28:43 PM »
Where do I sign up?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 03:19:23 PM »
I've become brilliant at building with a set of bricks she has. (I can't remember the name of them but they're like double-sized Lego). The trouble is, when I create an architectural masterpiece, she comes along and either adds stupid, random bricks to it or knocks the whole thing over. I'm thinking about banning her from touching them.

Is this the same reaction you had to the ChatGPT AI creating those Beau Peep strips?