Author Topic: England misses out again  (Read 6664 times)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: England misses out again
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 06:14:49 PM »
Scotland just have to beat Italy, Peter. England's footballers will sneak into the finals through the back door, as per.  England's rugby team massively over-achieved and went far beyond even their own expectations just to get to the final. And Lewis Hamilton is set to become the first UK sports billionaire, and may yet be crowned world champion in his rookie year depending on the outcome of appeals.

Who exactly are you weeping for?  ???
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 06:29:44 PM »
I weep for poor footballers like Ashley Cole who told his heart-breaking story in a masterly autobiography. Apparently, he wanted ?70,000 per week to stay with Arsenal and they only offered him ?65,000. The news was broken to him by his agent as he was driving his Merc. "I nearly crashed the car", wailed Ash "They were willing to let me go over a measly five grand!"
A measly five grand. Or quarter of a million pounds a year.
I weep for poor footballers like Ashley Cole. I really do.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 06:50:45 PM by Roger Kettle »

Vulture

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 06:47:32 PM »
Me, too. He was looking for the equivalent of three years' pension per WEEK! That's obscene.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 08:04:19 PM »
There's an argument that football is a multi-million pound industry and that footballers have every right to earn the money they do. To a certain extent, I agree with this. It's the ATTITUDE of some of them---like Cole---who treat an offer of ?65,000 a week with contempt. I've often heard these obscene amounts of money being justified by the fact that football is a "short career". It's almost as though footballers are incapable of doing any kind of work after the age of 32. I've simply never understood this argument.
By all means, take the money but, for God's sake, be grateful.

Roger Kettle, reporting for Grumpy Old Men.

peter

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 08:11:16 PM »
I weep for poor footballers like Ashley Cole who told his heart-breaking story in a masterly autobiography. Apparently, he wanted ?70,000 per week to stay with Arsenal and they only offered him ?65,000. The news was broken to him by his agent as he was driving his Merc. "I nearly crashed the car", wailed Ash "They were willing to let me go over a measly five grand!"
A measly five grand. Or quarter of a million pounds a year.
I weep for poor footballers like Ashley Cole. I really do.

Fairs faire He only wanted parity to other under paid workers.
If Lampard can ask for 150 grand per week Ashley would be a really underpaid super star.
If the under paid prime minister can get a guaranteed inflation pension plus directorships or after dinner speaker.
 Who are we to moan about our pensions

Vulture

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 08:40:40 PM »
Trust me, Peter. I'm NOT moaning about my pension. I'm very grateful to get it. When I was in paid employment it took me about eight years to earn what Cole was looking for on a weekly basis. I could have afforded to buy the kids shoes AND socks with that kind of money.

peter

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 08:59:35 PM »
Trust me, Peter. I'm NOT moaning about my pension. I'm very grateful to get it. When I was in paid employment it took me about eight years to earn what Cole was looking for on a weekly basis. I could have afforded to buy the kids shoes AND socks with that kind of money.

Was you shopping at Harrods for them there shoes.

Vulture

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 10:03:37 PM »
If I'd had ?70,000 a week, Yes!

Fyodor

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 06:26:43 PM »
I find sipping Krug eases my non-productive cough.

peter

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 07:06:15 PM »
I find sipping Krug eases my non-productive cough.

Is Krug a Klingon drink.