Author Topic: Vocabulary and world hunger  (Read 2935 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Vocabulary and world hunger
« on: November 18, 2007, 12:53:55 AM »
Help both here:
www.freerice.com
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

Re: Vocabulary and world hunger
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 06:41:39 AM »
Thanks for that, Diane (I think!!!). I thought I was fairly well-read but it took me 30 minutes just to get 640g of rice!

I'll try again when I've have a coffee and woken up properly.

peter

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 11:35:54 AM »
Thanks for that, Diane (I think!!!). I thought I was fairly well-read but it took me 30 minutes just to get 640g of rice!

I'll try again when I've have a coffee and woken up properly.

at least they tell you how to spell the answers

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 12:19:14 PM »
Nice idea, Diane. I've bookmarked it and am going to try to aim for a 1,000 grains per day (just done the first lot). It's a far more productive way of spending a coffee break than sudoku.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 03:59:06 PM »
I like this game - it is fast to load on dial-up service. But I wonder how many grains of rice are in an average meal.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 04:15:46 PM »
I like this game - it is fast to load on dial-up service. But I wonder how many grains of rice are in an average meal.

I have a sneaky feeling that rice is the only component of a meal in most of these countries. Here, rice accompanies vegetables and meat of some sort, and would be half a cup / approximately 100 - 150 g dry-weight per serving.   :(

Diamond Lil

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 08:28:18 PM »
good game, Diane...thanks!

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 09:08:59 PM »
Excellent, Diane. A far from frigorific experience.

Joan

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 02:41:12 AM »
Great find, Diane.  I tend to become addicted to these things, but at least with this one I'm hopefully doing some good!  BTW, if you play long enough, some words are repeated. Not convinced they give the same options, though.

Further to my tendency to become addicted to computer games, etc ... thanks a bunch to whoever posted this link some time ago now:

www.jigzone.com

Being on the computer has become a torture for me as I try to resist just to do one more!!  I really should get someone else to block it on the router for me (and change the password), but that means 'fessing up to my addiction.  ;D

peter

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »
Great find, Diane.  I tend to become addicted to these things, but at least with this one I'm hopefully doing some good!  BTW, if you play long enough, some words are repeated. Not convinced they give the same options, though.

Further to my tendency to become addicted to computer games, etc ... thanks a bunch to whoever posted this link some time ago now:

www.jigzone.com

Being on the computer has become a torture for me as I try to resist just to do one more!!  I really should get someone else to block it on the router for me (and change the password), but that means 'fessing up to my addiction.  ;D

Always do my daily jig saw don't know how people can do it  so fast.