Author Topic: New "Does This Work"? cartoon  (Read 15386 times)

Malky McGookin

New "Does This Work"? cartoon
« on: January 18, 2007, 09:20:50 AM »
Like the title says, does this work?
I'm happy to say my missus does, but that doesn't mean anything.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: New "Does This Work"? cartoon
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 10:19:43 AM »
Malky, I like this gag a lot but it took me a moment to work out---and there's nothing wrong with that. Because their uniforms are similar, I originally thought they were on the same side. I looked at it again, re-read the caption and it fell into place. Maybe if one of the guys was wearing a Che-type beret and a bandolier?

Malky McGookin

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:12:36 AM »
That's good feedback, Roger, thanks.

When I post anything like this it usually means there's something about the cartoon that bugs me but  I'm not sure what. I think the uniforms are the problem, they do look alike and it "throws" the thinking of the observer.

I asked my wife (before I typed the punchline) what she thought the two guys were?
She said "Mexican generals", so I knew I was on track there, at least. Che Guevara might be too noble an image, these two are self-aggrandising clowns.
One of them needs one of those ridiculous Goering-style white uniforms, I think.

Malky McGookin

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 11:45:51 AM »
Just to clear up any confusion, the image at the top of the page is the re-draw AFTER Roger's comment.
When I changed the image on my host site, the image above also changed, automatically.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 12:34:02 PM »
I concur with Mr Kettle for what it's worth, but would perhaps add that a slight alteration to one of the protagonist's faces may also help. As it stands, they could be twins.

Excellent gag though.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 06:53:27 PM »
I can't let this pass without mentioning the artwork.....simply superb. I love the slight "downview" and the way you've taken the trouble to draw the glasses behind the counter. Malky, when you come up with a gag idea, does the viewpoint come to you immediately? Do you ever start drawing and then think it would look better from a different angle?

Malc

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 12:41:33 AM »
Thanks for those kind comments, Roger,  I’m certainly enjoying my cartooning more now than ever, still developing my style.
I perhaps spent a little too long in the animation biz, especially after I came to Queensland, which for cartoonists/animators is the equivalent of Siberia.
Once I decided I was just too small a fish to get decent funding for animation projects, I started sending cartoon samples to ad agencies and gag cartoons to mags, and reacquainted myself with actually earning a living.
I’ve sort of been playing catch-up ever since. I’m fifty, but my style is at the stage it should have been when I was thirty-five or forty.
My learning curve is pretty steep, however, and I’m going like the clappers.
To answer your question, the cartoon image you see is almost exactly as I visualized it, though it was one of three or four competing scenarios.
The downshot is a legacy from animation, I do like that angle because it enables one to establish the characters and the whole atmosphere/world they’re in.
I find I can set the scene in my mind from the first moment, almost as soon as the gag occurs to me. I found out after many years of dissatisfaction and frustration that to cut corners or chicken out on that first impression leads to a watered down and second rate version of what I wanted. Even after I’ve sold a cartoon, I feel annoyed that I could have done it better, but that’s life.

I’ll upload a Frankenstein cartoon to illustrate what I mean by “almost as I visualized it”. In my mind, I saw this as gothic in incredible detail, grain in the stonework, cobwebs, thousands of peasants, massive, dark, cold interior, etc, then I realized I was imagining a scene from a film, not a cartoon. I basically kept with the spirit of the original scene, keeping in what was needed for atmosphere, and cartoonified the rest, going for laughs rather than gothic realism.

EDITED BY MINCE: http://www.thewisenheimer.com/wisenheimer/w/im/114796.gif
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 07:57:30 AM by Mince »

Diamond Lil

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 07:36:54 AM »
Just to say how much I've enjoyed this exchange, having long been in awe of the way you guys can come up with ideas time after time

When I tried to access the second cartoon you mention - only the red cross in its place and so I right-clicked to 'show picture' - all I get is a pop up to connect to www.the wisenheimer.com, requiring a user name and password.  Some advice please, Mince!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 07:56:09 AM »
The second cartoon Malc posted is clearly password protected on his site. There is nothing I can do this end.

Malky McGookin

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 09:35:27 AM »
Mea Culpa, I was lazy and decided I would use the code from a cartoon I'd posted on the Wisenheimer rather than go to the trouble of uploading it from my hard drive to my blog, etc, etc..

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 06:25:32 PM »
More terrific artwork, Malky. The blue and grey tones make the whole thing atmospheric. Just to be annoying.....shouldn't ALL the bannister supports be perpendicular to the floor?

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 06:32:08 PM »
Just to be annoying.....shouldn't ALL the bannister supports be perpendicular to the floor?

I was going to ask that. But I was scared.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 07:31:43 PM »
Just to be annoying.....shouldn't ALL the bannister supports be perpendicular to the floor?

I was going to ask that. But I was scared.

I didn't want to deliver anything but praise, but I was slightly bothered by the taps being on the wrong side of the sink in cartoon 1. On reflection, however, I don't think I'll mention it.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 07:41:12 PM »
Also, in the second cartoon, why is there a shadow at the bottom of the moon?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 08:04:03 PM »
Also, in the second cartoon, why is there a shadow at the bottom of the moon?

That's a wisp of cloud.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 08:36:28 PM by The Peepmaster »
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟