Author Topic: Debit/Credit card fraud  (Read 16030 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

Re: Debit/Credit card fraud
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2008, 10:01:01 AM »
Personally, from the very first moment I chose machoman as my password, and 0077 as my pin number, I've resolved to be extremely careful on this issue.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2008, 12:35:24 PM »
Money is withdrawn without the client's knowledge
A bank or building society may be reluctant to admit that money can be withdrawn without the client's permission. It may suggest one of the following three reasons, and allege that the client is responsible:-
? the client used the card but has forgotten
? somebody else used the card and PIN with the client's permission
? somebody else used the card without the client's permission and, due to the client's neglect, obtained the PIN.

If the client discovers that an unauthorised withdrawal has been made, s/he should tell the bank or building society immediately. If someone else uses the card before the client informs the bank or building society that it has been lost, stolen, or someone else knows the PIN, the most the client will have to pay is ?50, unless the bank or building society can show that the client has acted fraudulently or without reasonable care, that is, s/he has been grossly negligent. If someone else uses the card details without the client's permission, and the card has not been lost or stolen, the client will not have to pay anything, unless the bank or building society can show that the client has acted fraudulently or without reasonable care, that is, s/he has been grossly negligent.

Under the Banking Code, the burden of proving that the client has acted without reasonable care is on the bank or building society, although cooperation from the client is expected.

The Ombudsman has defined gross negligence as 'if not recklessness, something more than ordinary carelessness'. He has also stated that 'it cannot necessarily be inferred from the fact that a fraudster was able successfully to use the card at the first attempt, that the PIN must have been written down, and that the card holder was grossly negligent'.

Except....
The card is, and always has been, in my possession.
It was not a 'withdrawal' in the accepted sense of the word.
The number of the card was used to pay this company for goods unspecified (three times!):
CARD PAYMENT TO ADMIRAL SPORTWETTEN ON 2008-04-14
The PIN is only used if you're withdrawing money or paying for something in person.

I'm hoping the letter the bank is sending me will throw some light on how the thieves managed to get my number AND the 3-digit number on the back.

Malc

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2008, 01:39:57 PM »
Coincidentally, whilst attempting a withdrawal, my card was eaten by the cash point today....

I smell a conspiracy.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2008, 01:55:49 PM »
Typical. I told 'em "Mince", not "Malc"!

Vulture

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2008, 07:22:58 AM »
UPDATE:

Yesterday I received this months' bank statement - with ?100 in charges for letting my bank account get overdrawn!

That little notification arrived quicker than the 'form' they were sending me three weeks ago so I could apply for my money back; the money the bank allowed to be stolen from my account.

I phoned Customer Service and explained what had happened (you're right, Malc, there's going to be a lot of irate phone calls!) and while the guy was waffling about how it wasn't his department, I told him I didn't want him to do anything but tell me the address of the Ombudsman so I could get them to deal with this. With that, he said he would deal with it now, he'd take off the charges, make sure that if I got overdrawn anytime during the rest of the year, charges would be waived, and he'd chase up the missing form!

I'll take a little trip to the bank later today and see if this has been done!

Malc

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2008, 07:33:39 AM »
The Ombudsman DOES work, we have invoked the telecom Ombudsman here in Australia recently and received a grovelling reply from our telco supplier, the incompetent bastards.

Vulture

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2008, 07:36:06 AM »
They most certainly do; just the threat of him/them got a jobsworth off his bum to actually do something!

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2008, 08:06:52 AM »
The Ombudsman DOES work, we have invoked the telecom Ombudsman here in Australia recently and received a grovelling reply from our telco supplier, the incompetent bastards.

I wish British service-companies had more accurate business-names like that. It would help when deciding who to use.

Vulture

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2008, 08:26:12 AM »
 :D :D :D

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2008, 03:42:33 PM »
I wish British service-companies had more accurate business-names like that. It would help when deciding who to use.

That made me chuckle as well.  :D

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2008, 06:04:44 PM »
me three  ;D
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2008, 06:13:08 PM »
Mind you, having a business name of the incompetent bastards with no capitals is rather stylish.

Tom

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2008, 07:29:42 PM »

;D I like it!  :D

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »
Perhaps we should frame it or something.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2008, 08:11:42 PM »
You could always present me with an award.