Author Topic: Debit/Credit card fraud  (Read 16117 times)

Joan

Re: Debit/Credit card fraud
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2008, 05:28:51 PM »
We have had problems in Australia, but I don't know anyone who's been scammed.  I usually have a good look at the ATM before I use it, but not always.  I try to use the ones in shopping centres - less chance of anyone installing anything.  Mind you, the one in our local centre was missing for a while - some people drove a van into the centre and took the whole ATM, which was right in the middle of the centre as well.

I've not taken any interesting pictures recently, been mostly of friends and relatives.  If the weather clears up tomorrow (who knows?) I'll take some of the centre of Edinburgh and the Castle.  I'm going down to Gloucester in England this week, so will probably take a few down there.  There will be lots of my nephew's son (I refuse to say what relation he is to me), so will pick a few of those as well.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 05:32:44 PM by Joan »

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2008, 06:02:18 PM »
Oddly, before my trip I remembered reading this thread about your experience. I mentioned it to Mince...

Peepmaster:  
Was there anyone else nearby that you can remember other than, er.. Mince?

Mince was the only one around then, and he graciously looked away when I put in my PIN number. He did have to help me use the machine though. It's a little different from those in America. Should I be suspicious?  

Peepmaster: 
Think hard, Calypso. On your travels with Mince, did you ever have someone a bit odd standing next to you?

Only Mince. Wait!  He is a computer wiz and a math genius.  Other than arguing a little, we aren't speaking much now.   Hmmmmm.....I wonder.

I'm on the case, Calypso. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but there is a picture forming...  ..0
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2008, 06:11:46 PM »
I never use the hole in the wall - however the thieves got my bank details, it was not through that. It must have been through my internet shopping or one of the many supermarkets where I flash my card willy-nilly!

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2008, 06:29:46 PM »
I never use the hole in the wall - however the thieves got my bank details, it was not through that. It must have been through my internet shopping or one of the many supermarkets where I flash my card willy-nilly!

I never flash anything in the supermarket, especially willy-nilly.

Jack

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2008, 07:21:29 PM »

Someone's clearly been buying dodgy goods from dodgy people over the internet!

Speaking of which, how many Beau Peep mugs are left nowadays?

Vulture

« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2008, 07:37:10 PM »

I never flash anything in the supermarket, especially willy-nilly.

You haven't lived!!

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2008, 07:51:52 PM »

Someone's clearly been buying dodgy goods from dodgy people over the internet!

Speaking of which, how many Beau Peep mugs are left nowadays?

We're down to the last few now, Jack!

Once these have gone, there won't be a re-order as the manufacturer, in Stoke, went bump. Mince still hasn't bought one by the way.  ..0

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2008, 08:48:52 PM »
I admit that I had to show her how to use the ATM but I did look away when she put in the pin.

As you still have your card on you, and the money was withdrawn in England after you left, you should have no problem sorting this out.

Calypso

« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2008, 10:21:14 PM »
It's possible that it was a glitch in the British bank's system which caused it to keep deducting the last transaction from my account. I think this because the conversion rate for the 14th, 16th and 18th was exactly the same. $93.10 and sometimes, it was $186. 20. The conversion rate is generally not that consistent from day-to-day.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2008, 10:28:50 PM »
I would not put it past the British banks.

Calypso

« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2008, 11:08:42 PM »
Frankly, I wish I had not even gotten money that day. As it turned out, I didn't even need it because what I was getting it for ended up being cancelled. I was sort of "stuck" with British money the day I left. Buying back dollars for it meant a loss for me so I ended up shopping at Heathrow duty-free Harrods to get rid of some of it. I was still stuck with about 8 pounds in coinage and 20 pounds paper.

I have searched for the receipt and of course I no longer have it. If I remember correctly, all three of the bank's receipts were mostly so light that they were illegible anyway. Naturally, their name was not.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:27:08 PM by Calypso »

peter

« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2008, 10:04:56 AM »
if you want to get rid of your english money i know of a good home for it.

me

Calypso

« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2008, 03:17:45 PM »
Take it up with Mince, Peter. I sent the money to him.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2008, 04:02:46 PM »
Mince isn't a gigolo, is he?  :o

Vulture

« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2008, 04:08:53 PM »
Mince isn't a gigolo, is he?  :o

No, he's a maths and English tutor, isn't he?