Author Topic: Debit/Credit card fraud  (Read 16024 times)

Vulture

Debit/Credit card fraud
« on: April 22, 2008, 06:58:03 AM »
I was checking my bank balance at 5 am this morning only to find some kind person had cleaned out my account and left me with -?87.00. They'd taken ?200 over three days, starting the day my pension went in. Was this good timing or insider information?

I've always considered myself immune from this kind of fraud as I never give my number out to anyone I don't know; I'm very careful keying in my password at the supermarkets and I don't let my card go out of my sight.

The main problem is - who can you contact at five o'clock in the morning? My friends and family are all asleep, the bank is only contactable from 8am to 8pm (unless I have a Gold Visa Card, then it's 24 hour!!). Even when the telephone lines open, it seems there is no dedicated lines for distressed (and broke!) pensioners. I'll probably be held in a queue - call number 93 of 200 other distraught accountholders who have just found out they have been cleaned out.

A slightly lesser problem - I've been with my bank since 1960; why on earth would I give permission for a company to take out three lots of ?200 over three days when I have a ?500 limit. The very fact that the money was taken that way should have made the bank suspicious - hang on, sorry, it's only in films that the bank manager contacts the girl and tells her of unusualy activity in her bank account.

Anyroad up - I've still got another 65 minutes before I can phone the bank and get put on hold.... I suppose I could do some ironing.

Vulture

Re: Debit/Credit card fraud
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:04:41 AM »
No - I have another hour of waiting. They've given me the number of the fraud line. They get a lie-in. They open at 9 o'clock.

Time to make porridge, I think.

I'm BORED!!

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 08:31:06 AM »
That must be a worry, Vulch. I'm sure the bank will rectify things once they see there's obviously been fraudulent activity. You could do without the worry, I'm sure.

There is a suspect that springs to mind, but we didn't blame him on Diane's weather thread, so I won't name him here either.

I suppose it's the wrong time to ask if you want to buy a Beau Peep Mug....
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:00:54 AM »
Thanks, Peepmaster.

I looked up who the recipient of my cash was. It appears to be a gambling firm in Austria!

I don't think we can blame the usual suspect in this instance, although he's never posted anything to the detriment of betting.

Beau Peep Mug ....... not at the moment, thanks.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 09:29:58 AM »
That's awful, Vulch---I hope things get sorted out quickly.

Tom

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 10:06:10 AM »
I'm sorry to hear of this too Vulch... I'm sure it will be sorted soon though!

peter

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 10:28:38 AM »
I also am sorry this has happened but I bet it is not sorted quickly and the bank will assume you are guilty until you prove otherwise.
sorry to be negative but I have had dealings with banks befor.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 02:24:53 PM by peter »

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 10:30:56 AM »
Apalling! I wish them boils - large, painful ones. The low-down stoopers!

Keep us posted, Vult - if the bank don't help out, we'll send the boys round to persuade them.

So sorry!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 10:38:22 AM »
I also am sorry this has happened but I bet it is not sorted quickly and will assume you are guilty until you prove otherwise.

I know you're being a good father, Peter, but that's a bit much.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 11:19:18 AM »
Yep, the vermin who did this ought to be hung, drawn and quartered.

Keep us updated on what happens.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »
What happens if I do fall victim to credit or debit card fraud?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3256799.stm

The law states that cardholders are not liable for fraudulent transactions as long as the original card is still in their possession.

Any bank or business turning down a refund request is on very shaky legal ground.

The problems arise when a card is stolen or lost and is then used fraudulently.

Under these circumstances according to the terms of the Consumer Credit Act and the Banking Code you are liable for damages up to a maximum of ?50.

However, an Apacs spokesperson said that banks often waive the ?50.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »
Yep, the vermin who did this ought to be hung, drawn and quartered.

I agree, except I'd have used the correct word hanged.

I'm also not sure about capital punishment, cartooning, and dismemberment.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 12:08:29 PM »

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 12:11:10 PM »
I'm also not sure about capital punishment, cartooning, and dismemberment.

Sounds like the perfect solution to me! Not to mention a new career opportunity.
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 12:13:23 PM »
dismemberment? Is that where your membership is cancelled?

On a serious note, Vulch, my wife Mel has worked for a bank since the dawn of time and she says that your next move should be to go into your nearest branch and fill out a Disputed Transaction Form. Your bank can't act upon anything until they have written documentation to support your request.
Upon receiving this, your bank has ways and means of tracing and refunding your money.
Your bank has a fraud dept, who have extensive experience in this field.

Do you have internet banking with your financial institution? If so, you can contact them via the web. If not, go on your bank's website anyway, there will be a link for for lost or stolen cards, there should be a service 24/7, 365 days per year.

Mel reckons you will get your money back, but it's a pity that these hurdles have to take up so much time and effort.