Author Topic: Alma Mater  (Read 4887 times)

Malc

Alma Mater
« on: December 14, 2008, 09:00:09 AM »
I was just showing a friend of my wife's my old school in Glasgow, North Kelvinside Secondary, which I attended from about '67 to '68.

I was trying to show her the frightening vision I had to contend with every day I attended, because the school was a dismal looking building - a Dickensian nightmare.

Anyway, there are a couple of web sites dedicated to it and they have photos. One of them mentioned "alumni" and I clicked to find that Robert Carlyle and Jimmy Somerville both went to the school too, and now I don't feel so bad.
They're both younger than me by a few years so I wasn't there at the same time.

I attended other schools too (my dad was in the army) and another of my old school chums who I never met was Ridley Scott.

Who went to your school we might have heard of?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Alma Mater
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:14:21 AM »
I was briefly at Mosspark Primary School in Glasgow before heading to the Highlands. I found out later that the other cartooning Malky---McCormick---went there too.

Rob Baker

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 03:23:21 PM »
Buckler's Mead Comprehensive, Yeovil:   Ian Botham

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 03:27:10 PM »
I never went to school much when I was a kid - maybe if I had I could be someone famous.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 03:29:20 PM »
Mosspark Primary is only five miles from Shakespeare St Primary (I was there for a year around 1967).

I went back to see the old school a number of years ago - it's local council offices now and seems so small, but as a pupil I thought of it as horrifying.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 04:01:23 PM »
Chatham House Grammar in Ramsgate. Frank Muir and Edward Heath.

Mince went to a school of fish. Here he is in a geography lesson.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 07:10:43 PM »
I'm feeling a bit bad about comparing Mince to a pilchard.

Does anyone think I should apologise?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 07:21:19 PM »
I'm feeling a bit bad about comparing Mince to a pilchard.

Does anyone think I should apologise?

Well, Yes! The poor pilchard probably need counselling; a difficult thing to get this close to Christmas.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 08:14:50 PM »
Aren't you already getting complaints from the Pilchard Appreciation Society?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 08:37:45 PM »
Aren't you already getting complaints from the Pilchard Appreciation Society?

No, Diane. Mince doesn't seem to have woken up yet.

peter

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 09:13:20 PM »
May be he is now a sardine and does not answer to pilchard, you know how sensitive he is.

Joan

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 10:41:54 PM »
St. Bride's, Helensburgh:  Deborah Kerr. 

John Logie Baird went to Larchfield Academy, which amalgamated with St. Bride's to form Lomond School.

Online Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 11:57:30 PM »
Can't claim any great statesmen, inventors, pop, film or TV stars as former pupils of Perth High School that I am aware of, but I played in the same senior football team as a number of lads who went on to have varying degrees of success in the professional game, the most notable of whom was Ian Redford, who played for Dundee, Rangers, Dundee United, Ipswich Town, St Johnstone, Brechin City and Raith Rovers. His move to Rangers was for a record Scottish transfer fee of ?210,000 - which won't buy you a week's worth of Wayne Rooney these days.

There was also Ian's cousin, Gavin (St Johnstone), Pat Ward (Celtic & St Johnstone), John Clark (Aberdeen & Forfar Athletic) and Kenny Johnston (Dundee United). Me? I had a few years with Dunning Heather FC. I know, I know.........
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 05:47:03 AM »
George Cowie, (West Ham, Hearts, Dunfermline, Morton) was my next door neighbour for a couple of years when I moved to Queensland. He's originally from Buckie, and there are loads of people from that wee Moray Firth town here in the south Brisbane area, for some reason.

He moved away to take charge of the Solomon Islands national team for a bit during a time when some foreigners were beheaded by rebel tribesmen, and returned to head Football Queensland's coaching development. I had a happy reunion with him when he took my senior coaching licence course.

Zesty White

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 09:50:19 AM »
No-one of any significance went to either of my schools (primary or secondary). I did used to work in Safeway with a bunch of guys who went to the same school as Craig Easton who used to play for Dundee United. That's about it.