Author Topic: Alma Mater  (Read 4889 times)

peter

Re: Alma Mater
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 10:00:51 AM »
the only people of importance that went to my school were the pupils

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 10:48:30 AM »
Oh, friends and neighbours now, is it?

Right - my Granny (may she rest in peace) lived next door to the uncle of a lady who bought a hat from a shop owned by a one-legged man that served in the army with a corporal whose grandfather's doctor's niece married a carpet salesman who happened to have sold a Persian rug to a family that lived above a grocer's shop which was frequented by two gentlemen who once shared a lift with Quentin Crisp. Beat that!  :\
I apologise, in advance.

peter

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »
I once serve Barbara Windsor with a rug in watford.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 03:19:13 PM »

Right - my Granny (may she rest in peace) lived next door to the uncle of a lady who bought a hat from a shop owned by a one-legged man that served in the army with a corporal whose grandfather's doctor's niece married a carpet salesman who happened to have sold a Persian rug to a family that lived above a grocer's shop which was frequented by two gentlemen who once shared a lift with Quentin Crisp. Beat that!  :\

Don't you just hate it when people drop names.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 12:43:51 AM »

Only if they're interesting...

Joan

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 05:25:36 AM »
Define "interesting ...", Malc.

Malc

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 12:53:14 PM »
Right. Seeing as you ask. Your neighbour has to be interesting to me.

If you're not sure whether I would find your neighbour (or former neighbour) interesting, please send me a private email, giving their name and accomplishments.

Under NO circumstances is anyone to post anything about their allegedly interesting neighbour unless they have clearance from me. That is final.  >:(

Joan

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 10:54:19 PM »
Pphhht!  Like that's going to happen!  Anyway, I've already told you about the only former neighbour of mine that would be of the remotest interest to you, Graham Arnold (football connection, boys).

Other people may (or may not) be interested to know that Bill Turnbull, presenter on the BBC breakfast show, was a friend at uni.  He went out with my friend for a year or two.  I always forget when I go back to the UK, and even if I see the program, it takes me a little while to "click" again, as we only knew him by his nickname (which I am not going to reveal).  That's because I never really watch morning shows - have them on in the background and only pay attention when something peaks my interest.

Gordon Brown was also Rector of Edinburgh uni when I was there - he's a bit older - and because of Bill's and other friends' student politics connections, I did cross paths with him occasionally.  Last time I was in the UK, I learnt very quickly this was not something about which I should boast!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:56:20 PM by Joan »

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 11:24:54 PM »
I have been talking online with Roger Kettle...yes THE Roger Kettle since the year 2000.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Zesty White

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 10:12:57 AM »
I always forget when I go back to the UK, and even if I see the program, it takes me a little while to "click" again, as we only knew him by his nickname (which I am not going to reveal). 

Oh go on. How bad can it be?

;D

Malc

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 11:02:26 AM »
I bet it was "Brownie". They're feral, those Edinburgh students.

I don't know whether you lot are into nature docos, but there was a huge hit called Meerkat Manor a couple of years back.
Caroline Hawkins is the creator and producer of that series and I went out with her at college.

Zesty White

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 11:05:33 AM »
Is that what scared her away to live with Meerkats?

Malc

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 11:15:58 AM »
I wish it was that simple. However, she did go to live with Meerkats.

Well not WITH them, sort of next door in a disguised shed (apparently) where she and her team could film them.

Elizabeth

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 11:29:55 AM »
Roger Kettle went to the same primary school as me... but not at the same time (he is a little younger than me)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 11:49:12 AM »
Annoying, isn't it, Elizabeth? My wee brother went to the same school as me too.
I apologise, in advance.