Author Topic: The Fine Art of Strip Writing  (Read 5539 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

The Fine Art of Strip Writing
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:05:40 PM »
How about having a thread where aspiring strip writers can put forward story-line ideas, and experts like Roger, can say why they would or wouldn't work?

Here's one I've just thought up:

Bloke (in flat cap) leaning on a pub bar, says to barman: "And then I said "If that's your attitude, I'm never drinking here again".

Another guy walks in saying "Hey, Arny - any idea why the landlord of your usual boozer's throwing an impromptu party?"

Would that work, and if not, what's not quite right?

Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malc

Re: The Fine Art of Strip Writing
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 05:21:57 PM »
Is it only Roger who's allowed to take the p*ss offer constructive criticism?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 05:27:52 PM »
Sorry, Malc - you're welcome to as well.  ..0

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »
I'm now extremely suspicious when, after a couple of days of silence on this site, I'm then asked for my opinion on something!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 10:59:44 PM »
How about having a thread where aspiring strip writers can put forward story-line ideas, and experts like Roger, can say why they would or wouldn't work?

Here's one I've just thought up:

Bloke (in flat cap) leaning on a pub bar, says to barman: "And then I said "If that's your attitude, I'm never drinking here again".

Another guy walks in saying "Hey, Arny - any idea why the landlord of your usual boozer's throwing an impromptu party?"

Would that work, and if not, what's not quite right?

It`s the flat cap that`s all wrong - you need a wooly toque
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 12:03:08 AM »
I'm now extremely suspicious when, after a couple of days of silence on this site, I'm then asked for my opinion on something!

I'm aspiring to be as good as yourself, Roger, and I want to be able to feed you ideas to make your life easier.

Malc

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 12:50:01 AM »
Roger, if it's any consolation I'm not in on this either, so it may be a joke played on me, along the lines of "let's ask for some help from Roger on punchlines and see how long before Malky chimes in".

Thought I was to dumb to notice that one, eh, lads? Well you've got to be up early in the morning to get one step ahead of the Gookster.

But to the punchline: Peeps, it's a little wordy and it needs a middle step to take the audience through the gag...

Vulture

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 06:03:51 AM »
Roger, if it's any consolation I'm not in on this either, so it may be a joke played on me, along the lines of "let's ask for some help from Roger on punchlines and see how long before Malky chimes in".

Thought I was to dumb to notice that one, eh, lads? Well you've got to be up early in the morning to get one step ahead of the Gookster.

But to the punchline: Peeps, it's a little wordy and it needs a middle step to take the audience through the gag...

Thanks, Malc. My thoughts were that there was too big a gap between the two conversations ... you've put exactly what I meant succintly.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 09:21:45 AM »
That's really interesting. Of course, it needs a third frame. I was just wondering how the master would revise it to make it work perfectly.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 09:54:12 AM »
I'd shred it.

Only joking but Malc's right about the wordiness of the punchline. These are difficult to get right when you're having to explain the scenario in them and, in this case, you're having to explain about three things. (That the speaker has just passed a pub, that the landlord has thrown an impromptu party and that it's "Arny's" usual haunt).
The BASIC idea is not too bad.

Online Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 10:24:15 AM »
I'd shred it. No, I'm not only joking. Playing editor is fun!

'Convoluted' is the word everyone's looking for, I think.

Do try again though, Mr Peepmaster (I know you can do much better - and you do too).
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 10:37:50 AM »
Panel One - Bloke (in flat cap) leaning on a pub bar, saying to barman: "Then I said "If that's your attitude, you won't see me again".

Chalkie walks through the door, saying: "Just been past your old boozer, Arny"

"How come the landlord's throwing a party?"

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 10:42:07 AM »
Perhaps we should have a go at five strips for Roger's idea of Dennis "Missing, Presumed Dead".

I'll go first.

SERGEANT BIDET (late at night, to Beau Peep who is in his pyjamas): Dennis is still missing.

BEAU PEEP (face intent, getting dressed into his uniform): Can't sit here and do nothing.

SERGEANT BIDET (surprised): You're going out there to get him?

BEAU PEEP: No, I'm going to get Mad Pierre to go out there and get him.

Surely someone can continue with something better.

Malc

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 11:21:07 AM »
Can we just ruin one bloke's career at a time, please?

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
Notice how there was no superfluous tree branch in the background. Mine is minimalist humour.