Author Topic: Bon Voyage, Peeps!  (Read 6216 times)

Malc

Re: Bon Voyage, Peeps!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 10:43:24 PM »
....and Joan lives in New South Wales. Imagine what it's like up here in the sub tropics!

Ok, I'm trying to steal Joan's thunder, but those bloody ticks are killers. I know a couple of dog owners whose animals have nearly died as a result of bush ticks. There are warning signs, and as soon as the dog seems listless or vomits, dog owners start combing their fur to see if they can spot the tell-tale lump or raw area. One case ended with the dog's hind leg permanently paralysed.

I've never been as badly "ticked" as Joan, but I don't do any gardening out here, owing to the fact that it's not about trimming the rose bushes or edging the lawn once every month like in the UK. We have a small citrus grove, plus palms and bushes twelve feet high which grow like triffids.
Trimming them often means being attacked by swarms of something or other which leave millions of bites.

OK, I hate gardening anyway.

Hope you're feeling better Joan.

Joan

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 12:36:42 AM »
To recap: Joan invites Nige and Lucy to Sydney where there are giant slugs and evil sleeping sickness ticks that will knock a man out for two days.
(Hope you feel better soon Joan!)

I didn't mention that when we were clambering up the hill through the bush, Trevor remarked that this was definitely not a summer walk.  "Why?" says I, "Surely it would be drier."  "Snakes," says he.  "Oh, definitely not, then." Trail walks only in summer.  Can stand the bugs, but the snakes are something else. Had a couple of those in the garden and one tree snake (no fangs) in the house. Oh, and one in the water heater, which is outside.

Don't let me put you off - all visitors welcome!  We haven't lost anyone yet. We only put Australians and New Zealanders to work in the garden.  The rest get to have barbecues round the pool where the only hazard may be the odd golf ball on the noggin.  Tuesdays and Thursdays are the worst - corporate days.  When we take you sightseeing you go in the car and if you have to walk through the bush it will be on a path - the only wildlife I've seen with visitors was a friendly  bandicoot.

Ben got a paralysis tick too, Malc - they're viscious things - I thought it was a bit of mucous under his eye, so didn't bother about it until it had been there for a while.  I got it off and he was okay for a couple of days, but then got left in the hot house and went downhill fast.  He pulled through but it was touch and go there for a while.  Mine were just little grass ticks, but they obviously still pack a punch.  I'm very allergic to all things like that as well.  Feel fine now, but still getting the odd dizzy hit.  Went to the movies with a friend last night to escape Origin fever (Malc will know what I mean) and she said that there's been a rash of people who have had ticks in our area who have gone into anaphalitic (sp?), you know when you need the adrenaline, shock when they've eaten meat.  :o  I've had meat and nothing seems to have happened - yet.

It's Thursday, bushwalk day, too.  Better go hunt out the Aeroguard and find those thingies you put over your boots to stop the leeches getting up your legs.

Bloomin' Ada, Peepsie - I thought you were trying to sell the concept of these trips? Surely you meant it was a fun-filled flight of non-stop mirth and merriment?

I've had one of those TT - once.  Can also beat you on the length of time being up when enduring long flights and crossing time zones, Peepsie.  That particular one, it was 37 hours from when I got up in Sydney to touch down in the UK.  Had about four hours sleep on the plane, but that was still after about 32 hours awake.  I then stayed up another 14 hours - don't know what I was running on - even went for a walk in Balerno, which admittedly wasn't hot and sticky, but still.  Slept for about 12 hours and was as right as rain.  Coming this way was a different story though - not sure whether it's the direction or the fact that I'm coming back to the daily humdrum of normal life. On which note, I'd better stop rambling and get on with it.

Enjoy KL and Singapore, Nige.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:12:55 AM by Joan »

Malc

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 05:31:21 AM »
It's odd to see how Poms change their attitude to things like spiders and lizards over the years. We used to freak if we saw anything that we considered an "outside" creature inside the house. Spiders, geckos and other lizards included. I happen to know for a fact that we have about three or four redback spiders in the house, two in the pantry. In the old days I would have killed them and any others around the house, but then my boys were just babies.

No funnelweb spiders, thank goodness - oddly they are more prevalent down where Joan lives, and they are lethal.

Geckos we welcome. They are lovely, with their cute sucker feet and loud call. We have two who live in the air conditioning unit in the living room. It's supposedly not good for air conditioners to have geckos in them-they eat rubber seals, apparently, but we can't be bothered chasing them.

Other friends have carpet pythons in the roof space, which they are happy to leave there because they keep the rats and possums out.

Joan

Re: Bon Voyage, Peeps
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 08:25:26 AM »
I do have two or three stories about funnel webs, but will refrain from telling them, as I don't want to put everyone off any more.  As Malc says, you just get used to it and know how to deal with them.  For instance, I would never put shoes on which have been outside without standing on the toes first and giving them a good shake, especially in summer.  Funnily enough, spiders don't worry me as much as snakes, even though you're more likely to be bitten by one.  We would let the huntsmen stay in the house if Kate wasn't petrified of them.  They're very good at eating other nasties.  They just look a bit fierce, but not as fierce as a funnel web rearing up and pointing its fangs at you.

We have loads of little skinks, but no geckos, I think they like it a bit warmer.  No ticks or leeches on our Thursday bush walk.  It was very long though - 13.3km and a lot of climbing up and down - I was exhausted by the end, but it was still enjoyable.  We're very lucky to have the national park on our doorstep.  Got to stop for a coffee at the marina half way through!  Here are a couple of pics:

I had to climb up this after about 12 km.

There are more here

Sorry, Nige.  Seem to have hijacked your thread somewhat.  You'd better start another one for your updates.  :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:33:50 PM by Joan »

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 09:57:55 AM »
Great photos, Joan. I must admit I admire how you and Malc have adapted to life down under. I don't think I'd ever get used to shaking out my shoes in case there was something lurking inside that might kill me. I'm also not that keen on barbecues.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 02:33:18 PM »
13.3 KM through swamps: snakes, ticks, leaches... up slippery craggy hills. I think it is time to at least consider the question: Is your hubby trying to do you in?

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Joan

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 01:08:48 AM »
The swamps, snakes, (hopefully they're all asleep), ticks and leaches were on the other walks, Diane.  The 13.3km one was just up and down slippery craggy hills. It's obviously not the right time yet for hubby to knock me off, as he would have had numerous opportunities on any of the walks we've done.  ;)

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »
I've got a bite on my arm, which turned into a blister, and has been weeping all day!

Kuala Lumpur was great. Never seen such a melting-pot of different nationalities. The Petronas Towers are fabulous, especially at night.

Also really liked Singapore. Very clean and modern. Have been in Manila since Saturday.

I've put a few pictures online. I'll add more as we go on. http://picasaweb.google.com/nigel.sutherland/NewAlbum250620091158?feat=directlink
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 01:19:20 PM »
Fabulous pictures, Peepsie. You're not in any of them. No that I'm correlating...

I hope whatever bit you is doing okay. It's awful when your arm turns into a blister.
I apologise, in advance.

Joan

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 01:49:05 PM »
Great pics, Nige. TT is right though - we want some of you!  Don't like the sound of your arm - nasty when it blisters.  I've been on that cable car - many years ago now!

Look out for Charley Boorman he and Vonplanta are in the Philippines - not sure where exactly - been following them on Twitter, but Charley's not very good at typing on his Blackberry obviously - bit hard to work out what he's trying to say.

Hope the arm heals.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 07:47:19 PM »
Great photos, Nige. I take it you were also brave enough to pose with the python but simply to shy to post the picture on here?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:44:25 PM by Roger Kettle »

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 09:03:54 PM »
It looks like you are all having a great time.  ;D
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 09:59:56 AM »
Great pics from both of you.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 05:11:58 PM »
We're now in Puerta Galera, on the island of Mindaro, not far from Manila. It's such a beautiful place. We are by lovely beaches, beneath mountains. It has rained today, and I can hear loud sounds from outside, which are from frogs or toads.

There are so many great bars along the front, and we sit watching the lightning dancing in the sky, as we see every night in this country. The people here are the friendliest I've ever met in my life, as I've said before.

Believe me, this country is still very rough and ready in paces, but it has so much going for it, and it is heaven on earth. I saw the loveliest girl I've ever seen today, and she was a lady-boy! Unbelievable. Totally accepted as are many others, but these people are beautiful. Everyone is so polite and charming.

We sailed around much of Mindoro today, hiring a boat, which cost around ?13. The place is stunning. David thought he saw a turtle. Go to The Philippines before it urns into Thailand!

P.S. I typed all that after an evening at the bars on the beach, and have just had to go through it to make corrections! Just uploaded more pics to the web album too.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 08:46:42 AM by The Peepmaster »
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Joan

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 09:52:30 PM »
It sounds wonderful, Peepsie. I am extremely envious. Kate's off to LA and New York tomorrow with a friend and apart from being a bit nervous for her as this is her first trip overseas alone, I've got itchy feet and I want to go too!  Actually, her friend wanted me to come with, as she's never been overseas, apart from a trip to Armenia when she was little.  Kate was having none of it, though - can't think why.  :D