Author Topic: Wish me luck ...  (Read 38262 times)

Joan

Wish me luck ...
« on: November 05, 2009, 06:23:42 PM »
I'm off to hospital today to have surgery.  I've joined that elite group of women who have (had, hopefully) breast cancer, I'm afraid.  The biopsy says the cells are low grade and the surgeon was impressed that I'd found the lump (or so he kept saying), as it's not very obvious, so hoping that it hasn't spread.  He'll take the lump out and some of the lymph nodes to check if it has spread.  Whatever happens, I'm very positive now (was a bit shaken when we found out - the waiting for the results was the worst) and determined to fight this just like my sister did and thousands of other women have successfully.  Just want to get this part over and get on with the treatment.  Should be back home after 24/48 hours, depending on the operation.

I have very good support from friends and family....... (Slight pause there to finish my coffee as I have to fast now.)  Your job, my friends, is to make an extra effort to make me laugh over the coming months.  Things like the 'Malcolm's Birthday' thread are the go.

Strikes me that this is a good place to come and vent - I'll put a warning in the title if the language is extra colourful, but I'm sure you guys can take it.

So fingers crossed, everybody, and I'll keep you posted once I'm in a fit state to do so.  May be typing with one hand for a wee while.

Take care all of you and check those breasts!  Take that seriously, but feel free to play with it if you feel the urge.

Joan

Malc

Re: Wish me luck ...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 06:51:53 PM »
Sorry to hear, Joan, My mum (73) just went through a Mastectomy on the advice of her doctor, but the fact that your sister has battled successfully is a very very good sign.
I'm thinking of you, as we all are. I know you're anxious, but you are young, you've caught it early, you will get through and you'll be fine. Vent away, love!!!!

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 06:52:19 PM »
Joan, my thoughts are with you. Although you obviously have a wee battle in front of you, I am certain, given what you say, that everything will be absolutely fine. I know about horrible times----McGookin came to visit me today! Seriously, there is no need for me to speak for others---I'm sure they'll soon join me on here---but every one of us wishes you a speedy recovery. Try to keep us up to date when you get out of hospital. All the best and take care.

Rob Baker

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:14:19 PM »
All our thoughts are with you Joan. I hope all goes well and you're able to post back here soon -- as Malc says, 'vent away'!.   All the very best , Rob

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 07:15:16 PM »
Thinking of you too, Joan. Caught early, so I KNOW things will be fine - trust me. (My sister-in-law had a similar early-spot, and is now back fit as a fiddle.)

One thing you must do is keep your spirits up. Try and think of a good joke now and again. (Maybe Tarquin will send you a picture of Mince.)

Of course, during your recuperation, you'll need to be tended hand and foot, like royalty. I hope you've conveyed this message to the other half!
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Tom

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 07:18:55 PM »
Joan, here's another speedy recovery wish from me!

Just keep yourself positive --- and you are right, laughter will help you there!

I have to type with one finger.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 07:52:34 PM »
I’m sorry to hear this news Joan – bloody awful.  :'(

Like you say, you have everything going in your favour to beat this medically and emotionally.

I’m rootin’ for you. Now if we could only somehow arrange for Malc to give you a big slobbery kiss on behalf of us all.

Here's one from the C.B.P.F.C.  :-*
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

robbie62

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 07:56:54 PM »
good luck dear...hope it all turns out alright

Offline Max

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:38:04 PM »
Hi Joan. Just like everyone else on here I wish a complete recovery as soon as possible.

We'll do our best to make you laugh I promise, you just do your best to be better.

Max.

Vulture

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 08:57:09 PM »
Hi, Joan. I have my fingers crossed for you although, with your positive attitude, you probably won't need them.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 09:20:50 PM »
Joan, this isn't probably the best time to ask this question, but can you lend me a tenner?

Joan

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 10:34:09 PM »
Joan, this isn't probably the best time to ask this question, but can you lend me a tenner?

;D Thanks, Nige, just what I needed!

And thank you all for your messages of support and good wishes.  Can't wait for that big slobbery kiss, Malc - stop off on your way back.  :-*  Right back at you, Diane.  The other half is pretty good at that, Nige.  Can't grumble in that department. 

I was having a rest earlier on, as I got up at 4am and that last sentence I wrote suddenly popped into my head.  Can't believe I said that - actually I can - not thinking very straight at the moment.  Anyway, off in about 15 minutes.  God, I'm thirsty - could go about a litre of water.  Will keep you updated and thanks again for all your support - it really helps.  :)

Malc

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
Slobbery kiss on its way!

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 12:39:02 AM »
Bloody hell, I'm beginning to wish I'd never mentioned that big slobbery kiss of Malcolm's.

Feather

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 12:59:12 AM »
Joan, I'm thinking of you.