Author Topic: You Tube Coincidences  (Read 3078 times)

Malc

You Tube Coincidences
« on: December 07, 2009, 03:47:53 PM »
As some of you know I like to while away my leisure hours on You Tube, looking for anything that takes my fancy, but tonight I was treated to an amazing "full circle" coincidence that I didn't plan.

Driving in the car earlier, (I like to listen to classical music) I heard "I, Don Quixote" from the musical, one of my favourite tunes. When I got in, I looked it up on You Tube, carefully avoiding the totally crap Peter O'Toole version, and enjoyed the two or three professional renderings. I then looked at a couple of other things, including Neil Young's "Long May You Run" which I'm practising on the guitar.
I then looked up another favourite band, They Might Be Giants playing "Little Birdhouse In Your Soul", the version where Doc Severin's band backs them on Letterman, a truly classic moment, and that reminded me of one of my favourite films "They Might Be Giants" starring George C Scott and Joanne Woodward, where Scott plays a brilliant New York judge who loses his mind after his wife dies and believes he is Sherlock Holmes. His deductive logic is so Holmesian he ends up solving crimes and enlists the help of Woodward's character, a psychiatrist called Doctor Watson.
The band named themselves after the name of the film "They Might Be Giants", which comes from....? Scott's reference in the movie to to Cervantes novel, Don Quixote.

...and I'm back full circle.

Well I thought it was interesting.

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: You Tube Coincidences
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 04:28:42 PM »
no wonder you are winning the BP daily trivia
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 04:39:48 PM »
That was so amazingly interesting that I... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 06:03:01 PM »
That's astonishing, Malcolm, because only last night, we were watching the the DVD of the lesser-known version of 'A Christmas Carol', starring George C. Scott, and Edward Woodward (the Ghost of Christmas past), and guess what - it was shot entirely on location in Shrewsbury, which is where they hold the UK's only cartoon festival, and featured prominent shots of The Square... where I first met Peepsie in 2004. I swear that's all true. My spine is tingling!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 06:51:34 PM »
I just can't get into YouTube at the moment and it's driving me mad. It keeps telling me it's phasing out my browser soon but won't let me upgrade to their suggestions. We're fast approaching laptop-through-window stage.

Tom

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »
Roger, if you are using an old browser you'll get that message. On my other computer, I used to get that message every time I went on to You Tube, and I was on dial up, so never saw the clip anyway. I installed Google Chrome and that stopped the message. I still never saw the clip due to being on dial up, but now that I'm on my new computer and broadband I don't get the message and see the clips! And I still use Google Chrome.

Now that's going round in circles!  ;D

Diamond Lil

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 08:02:50 PM »
Malc, I love stuff like that....you must be a whizz at "6 steps to Kevin Bacon"

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 09:25:28 PM »
Roger - why don't you download a more up-to-date browser?

Firefox
Chrome
IE

Just Google for the links.

Honestly, a six-year old could do it.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 10:08:48 PM »

Firefox
Chrome
IE

Has Roger got any six-year old grandchildren?

Malc

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 10:22:11 PM »
I'm not telling you idiots anything interesting again.

Except for Diamond Lil, she, like, totally gets me.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 11:00:42 PM »
Hmph! Last time I humour you then.  :\
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 11:01:37 PM »

Firefox
Chrome
IE

I'VE TRIED!! Nothing seems to work and I've installed every bloody system going. Expect a phone call, mate.

Vulture

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 11:25:44 PM »

Firefox
Chrome
IE

I'VE TRIED!! Nothing seems to work and I've installed every bloody system going. Expect a phone call, mate.

You know how to use a phone? Then there's hope for you yet!

Malc

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 02:14:06 AM »
No, expect a phone call from someone who knows how to use a phone. They will be standing next to Roger passing on the information.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 02:22:53 AM »
Sometimes I have that dream where I am looking at an old rotary phone and can’t remember how to dial it – but I suspect we all have that dream eh.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad