Author Topic: Sookie Stackhouse for Bilthehut  (Read 14779 times)

Feather

Sookie Stackhouse for Bilthehut
« on: April 25, 2010, 04:47:20 AM »
I noticed that you said you had read all the Charlaine Harris Southern Vampire novels. Which was your favorite novel? 

I really wanted the Fairy War to be along the lines of the Were-creatures battles. That was an epic scene in the Shreveport warehouse.  :D

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
Re: Sookie Stackhouse for Bilthehut
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 10:29:34 AM »
Difficult to choose between them, especially as I've read them back to back. They lead naturally into each other, except for the missing extra bits , which are in the short stories. I suppose the second book comes to mind as it didn't have to explain the main characters. And the second series of True Blood is covering the main storyline.

I have just started the Harper Connolly series (Grave Sight), and it's gripped me already.  Charlaine Harris sure writes a good read.

The fairy war was a bit of an anticlimax, if you can describe the torture and near death of the heroine that way.  I agree about the Were battle.  I do hope that True Blood starts to include them in the storyline.   
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 10:32:33 AM by Bilthehut »

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »

The fairy war was a bit of an anticlimax

Was Mince involved?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Feather

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 03:03:52 PM »
I read the books one right after another too. With exception of the "Hadley affair," the books flowed into each other very well. Hadley was a surprise. I've ordered the short stories so I can "catch-up" with the left-out details. Charlaine Harris has a wonderful imagination. I especially enjoy how she blends humor into scenes which are really horrific and gory moments.  For example:  Sookie dancing with Quinn (I think) and a bloody head flew past spraying blood and signaling the start of a fight in New Orleans.

Who should Sookie end up with? I am hoping for Eric, but not the nice version of him.

I don't have HBO so I have not watched "True Blood." I have seen bit of it on You Tube. I think I like the books better.  Dare we post some clips?  ;)

Feather

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:32:19 PM »
For those who have not seen True Blood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxINMuOgAu8&feature=fvst

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 04:38:28 PM »
Dare we post some clips?  ;)

Don't get too ambitious.  Some might get affected by them.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 05:22:25 PM »
One of my puppy customers is a big fan. I had to register her puppy's official name as Sookie.  :)
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 11:21:02 PM »
Not peeing on anyone's parade deliberately, just putting this out there:

Is anyone else intrigued at this fascination women have with the prospect of having their necks bitten and blood sucked? Is it a sensual thing? I'm amazed at the constant flow of new Vampire/Werewolf stuff that's coming out, there doesn't seem to be a lip to this cup, it fills forever.

Jack

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 01:14:22 AM »
All of this teen-girl-vampire-boy-forbidden-romance-angsty-nonsense drives me up the wall.

You know what the best vampire show was?

Link to the excellent opening

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 01:44:49 AM »
It is mostly young women and gay guys that like vampires because they are youthful looking and therefore unthreatening. imho
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Feather

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 02:26:57 AM »
I have never read the Twilight series. It is geared toward teenagers. I did see the first film and thought it was incredibly boring. The first part could have been a teenage "coming-of-age" film and the end part could have come out of the "Angel" television series.

I enjoy the Southern Vampire series because it blends campiness, humor, horror, mystery, fantasy and romance.I also enjoyed the television series "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" and the series "Angel." I liked them for the same reasons I like Charlaine Harris's novels.   I loved the novel "The Historian" which dealt with the search for Dracula.  As a child, I remember watching the re-runs of "Dark Shadows," a 'scary' soap opera about the Collins family and it featured vampires, witches and werewolves. Oddly enough, I do not like horror films.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 10:29:19 AM »
I have never read the Twilight series. It is geared toward teenagers. I did see the first film and thought it was incredibly boring. The first part could have been a teenage "coming-of-age" film and the end part could have come out of the "Angel" television series.

I enjoy the Southern Vampire series because it blends campiness, humor, horror, mystery, fantasy and romance.I also enjoyed the television series "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" and the series "Angel." I liked them for the same reasons I like Charlaine Harris's novels.   I loved the novel "The Historian" which dealt with the search for Dracula.  As a child, I remember watching the re-runs of "Dark Shadows," a 'scary' soap opera about the Collins family and it featured vampires, witches and werewolves. Oddly enough, I do not like horror films.

Wot she said - ish.   Not read Twilight or seen the films, although I have had to suffer the after effects (music, posters, comments from my infatuated 23 year old daughter (only now getting over the 'crush' - maybe she's maturing?)

I loved 'Buffy, but then I'm male.  Saw some of the Angel series and have downloaded the whole lot onto DVD to watch sometime.
I don't enjoy horror films or read any other vampire books.

Malc

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 12:44:37 PM »
As someone who worked on Duckula (as an animator) I didn't even think of it as a vampire thing.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 01:59:45 PM »
I read the books one right after another too. With exception of the "Hadley affair," the books flowed into each other very well. Hadley was a surprise. I've ordered the short stories so I can "catch-up" with the left-out details. Charlaine Harris has a wonderful imagination. I especially enjoy how she blends humor into scenes which are really horrific and gory moments.  For example:  Sookie dancing with Quinn (I think) and a bloody head flew past spraying blood and signaling the start of a fight in New Orleans.
Correct
Who should Sookie end up with? I am hoping for Eric, but not the nice version of him.
So far, it's been Bill (Vampire), Alcide (Werewolf), Eric (good vampire), Quinn (Were-tiger), and Eric (bad vampire)
I don't have HBO so I have not watched "True Blood." I have seen bit of it on You Tube. I think I like the books better.  Dare we post some clips?  ;)

Feather

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 04:29:47 PM »
If you look below the surface of the stories, there is a lot of social commentary. For example, the vampires "coming out of the coffin" parallels that of the gay community coming out of the closet. Vampires cannot marry and they do not have the same rights as the rest of society.  And, of course, there is the church which wants nothing more than to help vampires "meet the sun." Didn't some of their members murder an entire nest without provocation?

I was not too sure about the Quinn-relationship. And how could Alcide truly forgive Sookie for shooting Debbie even though Debbie was a murderous &*(^% in her own right.