Author Topic: DIY  (Read 6942 times)

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
Re: DIY
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 05:47:27 PM »
Why, thank you Ma'am.  I did mess up the angle piece ( you can see the gap at the end).  What was nice was the two horizontal bars had a square bead already on them (on one edge) as this wood was the side of the bed and the bead secured the slats.  This bead meant that the vertical bars fitted inside, and with the diagonal, all were within the overall thickness of the gate (horizontal bars plus bead).

The posts are already stained (mostly with grot at the moment, but there is some preservative there somewhere)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:49:45 PM by Bilthehut »

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 05:49:49 PM »
Here are the gates.  Notice, in traditional DIY fashion, I have yet to paint/treat the new gate, hence its aged look.  The old gate was really falling apart with pointy bits sticking out and a big hole for the dog to stick her had through.  I could not wait (forever in this cost-cutting climate) for the MOD to replace their gate, so I made another using the leftover wood from a pine bed (always save this stuff - you never know when it will come in useful). 

In fact, the only expense was a new latch (£9.99), the equivalent wood would have cost about £25 and a new gate already constructed would have cost £50+.

Why?

I fixed your old one for you - cost nowt...

I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 06:12:26 PM »
Heck, if only I known you could do that TTIII - could have saved myself all these months of dieting.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 07:42:08 PM »
I was born in Margate, and went to school in Ramsgate, so gates have been a big part of my life.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 07:56:15 PM »
My mind is now reeling with place-names which could have influenced people's lives. They're mostly rude.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 08:03:07 PM »
Many years ago, I was in a pub hotel in Leeds with my brothers, gathering refreshment shortly before my younger brother was due to wed his Yorkshire bride later that day. We were all wearing kilts for the occasion, naturally (yes, that does cover the obvious question). The barman being an observant gentleman approached our table and enquired, "Did tha come down here from Scotland?".
"Aye!", said I.
"Did tha come down M6 through Lancashire?"
"We did." said I.
"Did tha shut gate?..."
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 09:14:53 PM »
 ;D

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 10:41:13 PM »
Here are the gates.  Notice, in traditional DIY fashion, I have yet to paint/treat the new gate, hence its aged look.  The old gate was really falling apart with pointy bits sticking out and a big hole for the dog to stick her had through.  I could not wait (forever in this cost-cutting climate) for the MOD to replace their gate, so I made another using the leftover wood from a pine bed (always save this stuff - you never know when it will come in useful). 

In fact, the only expense was a new latch (£9.99), the equivalent wood would have cost about £25 and a new gate already constructed would have cost £50+.

Why?

I fixed your old one for you - cost nowt...

It's easier to do this digitally rather than for real.  The bar was originally from there but was rotten and could not be resited.  As the rest of the wood was also rotting, I put the bar across as shown to try and stabilise the gate.  This picture was taken in 2009 and the repair lasted until late last year.  That's when two other bars fell off, leaving sharp nails and screws protruding.  The only option was a new gate.
 :P

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 10:46:21 PM »
Many years ago, I was in a pub hotel in Leeds with my brothers, gathering refreshment shortly before my younger brother was due to wed his Yorkshire bride later that day. We were all wearing kilts for the occasion, naturally (yes, that does cover the obvious question). The barman being an observant gentleman approached our table and enquired, "Did tha come down here from Scotland?".
"Aye!", said I.
"Did tha come down M6 through Lancashire?"
"We did." said I.
"Did tha shut gate?..."

Well he wouldn't twant sheep ta git out.  :D
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 10:50:16 PM »
Bill, I'm sorry to say but that was an awful DIY story. 10 GBP in hardware and all that work and it fell to bits in a year? If you had put a coat of paint on it it would have hung together another year at least.  ;)

Vulture

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 11:10:30 PM »
Bill, I'm sorry to say but that was an awful DIY story. 10 GBP in hardware and all that work and it fell to bits in a year? If you had put a coat of paint on it it would have hung together another year at least.  ;)

No, Diane. I think the £10 in hardware was for the NEW bed-gate. The old MOD-gate was the one that fell apart -  by the looks of it, I don't think the old gate could have taken the weight of a coat of paint.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »
You are sooo right Vulture.  The new gate is shown in the picture I took yesterday.  Itttttttt is still standing and, yes, I will get some preservative on it soon.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 01:24:27 PM »
I knew someone who didn't have a gate. He mentioned that there had been a gate there at one time, but nothing more, so I don't know whether it had  fallen into disrepair and been intentionally removed, or what had happened to it. I don't even know when it had last been there (and didn't think to ask as it hadn't seemed important then).

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 05:33:37 PM »
Yes, I imagine you are kicking yourself now Nige.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 06:03:14 PM »
Yes, I imagine you are kicking yourself now Nige.

I think he owned the property, in which case the gate would have "belonged" to him too, so I suppose he was entitled to do with it as was his wont.