Author Topic: DIY  (Read 6977 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

DIY
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:51:49 PM »
Today we are doing DIY at our house (living room). It is a pretty big mess but it is going to be fab.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Max

Re: DIY
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:22:52 PM »
Diane, I hope it's fabulous, I don't do DIY because I admit to being crap at it.
However I'm a master at PSE (Pay Somebody Else) and my kitchen looks brilliant!  ;D

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:34:49 PM »
I stand shoulder to shoulder with Max. There is not a single job in our house that I can't do with a quick phonecall.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »
I stand shoulder to shoulder with Max. There is not a single job in our house that I can't do with a quick phonecall.
.. And an open chequebook.

Offline Max

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 11:27:50 PM »
You got to share the wealth brother Bil.
It keeps the world ticking over.

Besides, having to wade to the sink is a real pain in the butt.  ;D

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 04:45:20 PM »
I ought to have shares in B&Q, Homebase, etc with the custom I've given them over the years.  But there is satisfaction in getting a job done well.

Recently, I saved over £30 in making a new gate using wood from an old pine bed. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:47:23 PM by Bilthehut »

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 05:06:20 PM »
I ought to have shares in B&Q, Homebase, etc with the custom I've given them over the years.  But there is satisfaction in getting a job done well.

Recently, I saved over £30 in making a new gate using wood from an old pine bed.

We need a photo...
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »
Glad to know there is another DIYer here Bill - there is a lot of fun to be had with a hob of putty and a new tin of paint.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »
I wonder if other forums are as exciting as this one.

Vulture

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »
I wonder if other forums are as exciting as this one.

I know - this forum should have a health warning on it. I had to have a lie down after I read about the recycled pine bed!

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 07:11:12 PM »
Now, if he'd made a bicycle out of his bed, that would have been interesting!

Tom

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 08:39:57 PM »
Diane, I have a new name for DIY. DIA. Do It Again.

So I don't bother to start off with.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 12:17:30 AM »
Things here are far from perfect (some runny paint bumps) but even so - better than how it started off and that's the main thing.

I sold a pup today to a posh plastic surgeon and made her sit in the midst of all my painting muck to take a photo with the parents - that's when I knew the woman was a gem and my baby Rudy was getting a good home.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 04:08:37 PM »
Here are the gates.  Notice, in traditional DIY fashion, I have yet to paint/treat the new gate, hence its aged look.  The old gate was really falling apart with pointy bits sticking out and a big hole for the dog to stick her had through.  I could not wait (forever in this cost-cutting climate) for the MOD to replace their gate, so I made another using the leftover wood from a pine bed (always save this stuff - you never know when it will come in useful). 

In fact, the only expense was a new latch (£9.99), the equivalent wood would have cost about £25 and a new gate already constructed would have cost £50+.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 04:39:38 PM »
I would be just itching to stain that gate and the posts it's attached to - but it is a very nice gate.