Author Topic: Sunday night knitting woes  (Read 12195 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Sunday night knitting woes
« on: September 12, 2011, 01:05:28 AM »
I knitted a scarf when I was a teenager with chunky wool, but my mother both casted on and did the finishing row for me. Now I am stuck trying to make my daughter a "Harry Potter" scarf (after watching the first movie in the series last week) and I have made quite a mess of it. I was able to cast on a row but it is all uneven and a bit lumpy - this wool is a medium thickness (#4 for you knitters) and the faults show.

Do we have any knitters here? If so where to I mail my yarn and #8 needles to?

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Joan

Re: Sunday night knitting woes
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:15:47 AM »
I've messaged you on FB, Diane.  :)

Vulture

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 08:41:47 AM »
Ah! I see Joan has pointed your needles in the right direction.

Just as a matter of interest, do you cast-on with one needle and a thumb, or two needles?

Online Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:16:21 AM »
I think you need to ease off the tension in your himple stitch, and make sure your needles are properly lubricated
with Grade 3 or above, Smith and Sidebottoms' Original Purling Oil. Alpaca wool (#37) would also be advantageous. I'm sure Roger and Peepsie will concur.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »
When I was about five, I went to school in Glasgow and, one afternoon a week, we were taught knitting. Girls and boys. Knitting. In Glasgow. I still can't get over that. Shortly after that, my family moved to the Highlands where the locals were more interested in the sheep than the wool.

Diamond Lil

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:44:06 AM »
Now I am stuck trying to make my daughter a "Harry Potter" scarf

I'd trawl Ebay...saves casting on with or without a thumb...unless you really are up for the challenge :D

Vulture

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 01:02:57 PM »
I think it's such a shame that no-one knits any more.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 01:12:25 PM »
Is Joan going to have Diane's cast-offs?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 03:26:55 PM »
Ah! I see Joan has pointed your needles in the right direction.

Just as a matter of interest, do you cast-on with one needle and a thumb, or two needles?

Neither of those options. I am following the instructions that came on a free pamphlet in the wool isle and using my index finger of my left hand.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 03:27:58 PM »
I think you need to ease off the tension in your himple stitch, and make sure your needles are properly lubricated
with Grade 3 or above, Smith and Sidebottoms' Original Purling Oil. Alpaca wool (#37) would also be advantageous. I'm sure Roger and Peepsie will concur.

You sound like you know what you're doing - watch out for the knitting supplies in the mail.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 03:31:20 PM »
Joan has kindly offered to help (but that does not mean that she also wants to nip around and clean your kitchen Peeps) - however all I really need is someone to do the first "cast on" row so the stitches are spaced evenly.

I am thinking that I may pop in to the old folks home and place my wool and needles in someones knitting bag like cuckoos do with their eggs.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 03:34:44 PM »
When I was about five, I went to school in Glasgow and, one afternoon a week, we were taught knitting. Girls and boys. Knitting. In Glasgow. I still can't get over that. Shortly after that, my family moved to the Highlands where the locals were more interested in the sheep than the wool.

Is that the scarf you wore in book #5

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 05:56:21 PM »
Is Joan going to have Diane's cast-offs?

This would be a knitters' "in" joke.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 06:03:05 PM »
She probably purloined it.