Author Topic: A drug conundrum?  (Read 4919 times)

Redundant

A drug conundrum?
« on: April 23, 2012, 02:32:23 PM »
So here’s the thing.   I experience headaches on a regular basis, and to counter them I take medication which comes in the form of two soluble tablets, roughly the same size as the old UK halfpenny, or slightly larger than the current UK five pence piece or the American quarter.

Before dropping them in the water I [rather adroitly I might add] break each tablet into four roughly equal parts by dextrous use of thumb and forefinger.   On a superficial level I seemingly decided that this aided in the time taken to dissolve the tablets…but does it?   On the one hand I am dissolving four smaller tablets rather than one large one, but overall aren’t these four smaller tables the equivalent of the large one?   Have I created more area available for dissolving given that the dissolution appears to takes place on the surface area?

One of three any/all/other answers if you please, preferably with sound scientific supporting arguments, but I’ll settle for the “dip dip dip” or the “pinning a tail on the donkey” methodology as well.

The four smaller tablets dissolve quicker

Jussi Björling

The larger single tablet dissolves quicker

Keyser Söze

No thanks, I already ate

Both dissolve within the same rate of time

The Butler, in the pantry, with a knife

I like bubbles
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:19:24 PM by Redundant »

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: A drug conundrum?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 05:10:31 PM »
I dunno, I've got a headache from reading your post.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Redundant

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:20:15 PM »
I dunno, I've got a headache from reading your post.

I have some tablets for that.

Redundant

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »
I've added some extra possible answers and included a secret question in light blue font...

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »
The trouble is, you can't really get perfectly straight bananas.

If you want an intelligent answer from an intellectual heavyweight, you should ask Mince. I'm sure he once said he knew someone by that description that he could refer you to.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Redundant

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 06:52:20 PM »
That's three for "I like bubbles" then...

Jack

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 06:59:37 PM »
As you increase the surface area, you are increasing the rate at which the tablet will dissolve.

As to whether or not you are increasing it by enough to make a worthwhile difference...

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 07:36:05 PM »
As you increase the surface area, you are increasing the rate at which the tablet will dissolve.

As to whether or not you are increasing it by enough to make a worthwhile difference...

That sound eminently sensible. You could have the tablets specially made so they were wafer-thin, and about a metre in diameter.

Mind you, you wouldn't be able to get them in the glass of water then.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:29:17 PM »
Or you could just swallow them.

Redundant

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 08:59:39 PM »
I'm counting the Peepmaster as two "I like bubbles" at this point, and am assuming Roger is several hundred metres in height because he can swallow very, very big tablets...in which case couldn't you just stride across the earth to get to where Custer dropped the ball rather than the long flight in what would seem to be a very small aeroplane in comparision?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:29:52 PM by Redundant »

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 11:18:12 PM »
Having just arrived at this topic, I am concerned that someone else is using the same make of tablets and breaking them up in the same fashion as myself.  Is this deejahvoo or wot?

My scientific analysis, conducted over a number of days in the past ( and having some disgusting tasting erzatsch substitutes for the real deal to get rid of), concluded that breaking the tablets up reduced the time as the surface area was increased.  Try it having crushed the tablets into powder for the ultimate fizzy event.  Couple the maximisation of surface area with stirring the water ensures that fresh water is in contact with the tablet surface, rather than being blocked by a developing bubble.

We get through quite a few of the magic tablets as we seem to get a variety of headaches here in wet Dorset (we also share the immediate surrounds with 'George', our crackling power pylon).

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 11:25:25 PM »
Maybe BillyTheShed and RedAnt are both and the same? You never heard of Moses breaking his tablets.

Redundant

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 12:32:27 AM »
Maybe BillyTheShed and RedAnt are both and the same? You never heard of Moses breaking his tablets.

If I can get some scrumpy out of it I'll admit anything, as for Moses, they weren't actually his tablets he got them from a friend, although they were of the proscription variety.

Having just arrived at this topic, I am concerned that someone else is using the same make of tablets and breaking them up in the same fashion as myself.  Is this deejahvoo or wot?
I think it's wot.

My scientific analysis, conducted over a number of days in the past ( and having some disgusting tasting erzatsch substitutes for the real deal to get rid of), concluded that breaking the tablets up reduced the time as the surface area was increased.  Try it having crushed the tablets into powder for the ultimate fizzy event.
Love this idea, will experiment immediately, banging my head against the wall if necessary [it won't be] to create the relevant inducement. 
Couple the maximisation of surface area with stirring the water ensures that fresh water is in contact with the tablet surface, rather than being blocked by a developing bubble.
You lost me on maximisation but I may well make this my headache mantra from this moment on.

we also share the immediate surrounds with 'George', our crackling power pylon).
Bit greedy having your own power pylon, although I do enjoy a bit of crackling.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:54:32 AM by Redundant »

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 03:34:21 PM »
George is not crackling at the moment as it is not raining.

One tablet in 50 ml water takes 60 seconds to stop fizzing and be fully dissolved, having been broken up into about 8 pieces and stirred.  Another unbroken tablet took 80 seconds to dissolve in 50 ml water and stirred.

The case rests, mi'lud.