Author Topic: The Beano  (Read 12192 times)

Sandy Buttcheeks

Re: The Beano
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 11:56:03 PM »
Of course we all know you write Beau Peep, Roger, and so naturally we hold you in high esteem here on the Beau Peep website. Then it transpires that Malc worked on the Danger Mouse cartoon. Now I find out that a guy going by the name "Tarquin Thunderthighs III" didn't just draw but actually invented ****ing BANANAMAN?

I'm with you, Jack.   ****ing BANANAMAN'S Daddy !!  This site rocks.

May some of your combined genius (genii?) dribble over us uncreative peasants and mark us with the scent of the great.

We are not worthy.

:o :o :o

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 09:40:22 AM »
Not only did Tarquin create Bananaman, he also supports St. Johnstone. The man is too cool for words.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 06:26:23 AM »
Sadly, I don't know these cartoons - but TTIII does have proof that he was a cute little kid.  :)
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 08:36:41 AM »
Tarks, the animation may have been better if Cosgrove Hall had done it, but the scriptwriting would definitely have been better, especially if Brian Trueman had been involved. It was the writing wot made DM, the animation was rudimentary, at best, with many of the crew having taught themselves, from books!

I was one of the first "trained" animators to work on DM, and my animation course only existed as part of a graphic design course which set up its animation facility the year before I joined. On top of that, it had almost no equipment, so you can see those were very early days in British TV animation.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »
Surely though, it's about the package? There's certainly a world of difference between then and now, but the animation "fitted" perfectly with everything else. Both were simply just quality entertainment. Being a child *ahem* of that time, I loved both DM and Bananaman, and they were compulsive viewing in the household. Old computer games, where the graphics were, em...basic, to say the least, still get played today because they had that "hook" that grabbed you. Similarly, both DM and Bananaman had a "hook". Was it animation? Script? Voices? Don't know. I just know they were fantastic, and I loved every minute of them.

PS. What about the animation technique of my other old fav...Rhubarb and Custard?

;D

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »
Aw Jeeeez.

Now I've got the Rhubarb and Custard theme tune in my head.   >:(

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »
I went to the same art college as Bob Godfrey, who created Roobarb and Custard.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 10:10:26 PM »

Aw for f*** sake.

Am I the only pleb on this board?  >:(

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 10:12:05 PM »

Aw for f*** sake.

Anagram time: SYE
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 10:16:55 PM »

Aw for f*** sake.

Anagram time: SYE

Thank dog I'm exdyxslic, I thought that said yes.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 01:14:16 PM »
Tarks, the animation may have been better if Cosgrove Hall had done it, but the scriptwriting would definitely have been better, especially if Brian Trueman had been involved. It was the writing wot made DM, the animation was rudimentary, at best, with many of the crew having taught themselves, from books!

I was one of the first "trained" animators to work on DM, and my animation course only existed as part of a graphic design course which set up its animation facility the year before I joined. On top of that, it had almost no equipment, so you can see those were very early days in British TV animation.

I can't recall anything Cosgrove Hall produced that was less than excellent, Malky - all the  more remarkable given what you say.

I won't argue with you about the Bananaman scripting. It was a bone of contention at the time, with rumours that Thomsons were paying £1,000 a script to the animation company for some guy to 'write' the stuff, often cobbling together (badly) stories that I'd written for the comic, taking out any bits that would have been 'challenging' to animate. I'd have loved to have been given the chance to do the writing, and considering that the comic page rate for a script back then was about £4.50 (no, I'm not underplaying it), I'd have been very happy to do it for considerably less than a grand. Not a chance!
I apologise, in advance.

Diamond Lil

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 08:13:57 PM »

Aw for f*** sake.

[/quote]

No

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 09:21:07 PM »

Aw for f*** sake.

No
[/quote]

Woohoo.

Altogether now....Sweeeeeeeeet Caaaaaaaaaaaaroliiiiiiiiiiiiiiine     doo doo doo      ;D

Diamond Lil

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 06:33:09 PM »
Sandy, you made my day!

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 06:40:21 PM »
Admit it...it was the attention to detail in the "doo doo doo's", wasn't it?    ;)