Author Topic: The Beano  (Read 12190 times)

Rob Baker

The Beano
« on: July 30, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »
This first edition of the Beano appeared on 30th July 1938 - 75 years old today.  Stories included Big Eggo, the ostrich, Pansy Potter: The Strongman’s Daughter;  and Lord Snooty and his Pals.

I've looked on Wikipedia but they can't confirm if Mr Kettle was a contributor to the first issue.

Offline The Peepmaster

Re: The Beano
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:31:01 PM »
Yes. He did Beryl the Peril. That, Beau Peep & Horace - the guy's a legend.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »
Very funny, Mister Baker!
As Nigel said, I wrote Beryl the Peril in The Topper and various others....Desert Island Dick, Danny's Tranny and Ghastly Manor, to name but a few. It was a great way to learn the basics of strip-writing and helped me enormously when I made the step into freelance work. My starting wage at D.C. Thomson was £9.50 a week. I think they pay over a tenner these days.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »
A grand old institution. I'm surprised at the longevity if I'm honest.

Malc

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 07:18:17 PM »
Danny's Tranny? How very DARE you... >:(

Malc

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 07:22:59 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but is the Beano still going in print? I know the Dandy wrapped up (I was sorry to hear) and is now web-only. Does this mean the Dandy cartoonists are still employed?  Feel free to PM me rather than broadcast this stuff.

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 08:15:05 PM »
Malc, I think The Beano still comes out every month. It now tends to feature "celebrities" making guest appearances in established strips---Andy Murray and the likes. Recently, Charles and Camilla were in Dundee to open a new printworks and were then caricatured in The Bash Street Kids.
D.C Thomson are simply trying to keep these titles alive in order to maximise what merchandising opportunities are still available. At its peak, The Beano sold around two million copies a week. The current monthly edition sells less than ten thousand. In this computer age, kids' tastes have changed and the Beano/Dandy industry is now a largely nostalgic one.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 09:12:12 AM »
Malc, I posted this link in the Cartoonist Club Facebook Page the other day.

I thought you would have seen it...  ..0

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 05:51:58 PM »
As far as I'm aware, Roger, The Beano is still running weekly (confirmed by Wikipedia, so it must be true!). You may be confusing it with Beano Max, the monthly spin-off which has recently ceased production after six and a half years.

The Dandy launched an online version after the print one ended on its 75th birthday last year, but I understand it is now also terminal. I fear The Beano may not be far behind. Many of the current cartoonists are now struggling to stay full time, or even part time in the industry, sadly.

It's very sad for me. Like Roger, I started my working life as a DC Thomson sub-editor, aged 18, one week out of school, hired as the office junior on the Beano itself (I had no idea until that first day I was about to start a career in comics, and actually thought I was about to become a cub reporter on one of their newspapers, arriving with brand new trench-coat in readiness). Four days later, I wrote my first script, had it passed unaltered, on its way to being read by over a million people. Can't describe the kick that gave me. Another week later and I found myself with the responsibility of writing four weekly strips for the biggest-selling comic in the UK. 18 months later, I was asked to move out, to become part of a 2-man think tank charged with creating a brand new comic. This eventually turned out to be Nutty comic, and my very first task on day one was to come up with a superhero character we called Bananaman.

Four and a half years later, I quit, walking out on a Friday that was to be my last day as a sub-editor, only to return the following Monday with my first pencil sketch as a freelance cartoonist, and continuing to work for DC Thomson on and off for the next 30 years.

I vividly recall going for a 'slap up feed' (comic talk)  to celebrate the Beano's 40th anniversary, just a few months after I started working there, and feeling like a right fraud, having only just stepped in the door of a four decade history. It's rather surreal for me to think that I've now been working for both the Beano and Dandy for more than half their lives, not to mention two thirds of my own.

I used to think it would be a grand exit to go out like the great Dudley D. Watkins, who died at his drawing board, half way through a Beano page. I never for one moment thought I'd actually outlive either of the Big Two comics. With one down, no bets are being taken!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:18:05 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 11:14:15 PM »
Did you use that trench-coat for any other purposes?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 08:54:34 AM »
MI6, Diane... can't say much more than that, sorry.
I apologise, in advance.

Jack

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 08:09:24 PM »
Hang on, can we just clarify something here. Are you saying, Tarks, that YOU invented Bananaman?

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »
Yes, he did.
I know loads of famous people.

Jack

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 09:09:47 PM »
My next question is "How much money did you make when I bought a pair of Bananaman undies?"

Of course we all know you write Beau Peep, Roger, and so naturally we hold you in high esteem here on the Beau Peep website. Then it transpires that Malc worked on the Danger Mouse cartoon. Now I find out that a guy going by the name "Tarquin Thunderthighs III" didn't just draw but actually invented ****ing BANANAMAN?

I'm beginning to feel like, of the people on this forum, I'm the one who was least involved in my glorious childhood memories. Next we'll I'll probably find out that the Peepmaster created Roger The Dodger, and that Diane is really the Rev. W Awdry in hiding. Vulture's probably Jennifer Aniston. Haven't seen much of her since you dumped her.

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 11:26:01 PM »
Roger dumped Vulture?  :-\

Jack, I hate to break this to you, but Peepsie is the Easter Bunny, and Mince was the big fat geezer in the red suit and white beard who climbed down your chimney and nicked half of your presents. Still doing it, I hear.

Just to keep the record straight, Bananaman was created under my Nom Day Ploom, and first appeared in Nutty comic in the February, 1980 - the same week as my 21st birthday. He was drawn back then by the late, great John K. Geering, and it was many years later, after John's untimely death, that I eventually got the opportunity to draw the character for The Dandy (Nutty having long disappeared). But yes, I wrote all of the early scripts, the first shortly after my 20th birthday, which I sketched out for John, and which he followed very closely, to my great delight. Eric, Bananaman's alter ego, is my middle name.

A couple of years later, whilst DC Thomson were considering their first foray into TV animation, with Dennis the Menace and Desperate Dan being the obvious candidates, the animation executives apparently caught sight of Bananaman whilst in Dundee for preliminary talks, and insisted that he was the one to bring to the small screen. And so they did.

I wasn't a great fan of the animation, if I'm honest. I wanted Malcolm's chums at Cosgrove Hall to do it, but had no say in the matter, and a cheaper route was taken, and it showed. Or so I thought. John Geering seemed happy enough with the early viewings however, and he knew far more about these things than me, so perhaps I was wrong. The televised cartoons enjoyed considerable success back then, having opted for the whole thing to be voiced by The Goodies. Other voice options included Brian Blessed (brought in initially when they thought Desperate Dan might be chosen), but my own favourite was Ian Lavender, who did a demo tape using his Private Pike voice for Little Eric, and a wonderfully deep version of the same for Bananaman, which I thought was perfect.

But I digress... no, I'm almost relieved to say I didn't earn a penny from your underpants, Jack.
I apologise, in advance.