Author Topic: The Beano  (Read 12188 times)

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
Re: The Beano
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 05:43:08 PM »
I went to the same art college as Bob Godfrey, who created Roobarb and Custard.

Aw for f*** sake.

Am I the only pleb on this board?  >:(

No. My only claim to fame is ...

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 06:07:58 PM »

Aw for f*** sake.

Go on...Go on...

Malc

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 12:25:38 PM »
Sandy, Bob Godfrey used absolutely basic techniques in the old days. Roobarb and Custard animation was so rudimentary, he used the "boil" method, where matching the line and colour didn't matter, and after the pics were all held for a few frames only under camera, than played back in a stream, the animation looked like it "boiled" on screen. He used magic marker to colour in the characters, and worked so fast, (due to time constraints) he could spend NO time on finesse. It was a lot of fun and lent itself perfectly to kids TV.
I worked with him (as an unpaid intern) on the famous TRIO ads, where he was asked to recreate that method, but the directions he had to comply with from the ad agency meant he had to take a lot more time and trouble to fake what was originally a very simple process. Therefore the simply-rendered characters had to be cut out and mounted on see-through cel so that they could be used over painted backgrounds. Bob was paid a shedload of money to do it, he couldn't believe the budget, it went a great way to paying for his Covent Garden studio (a tall, narrow converted warehouse).

The guy who rented out the office underneath was the Guardian's Steve Bell, someone I was lucky enough to spend some time with. He was working on a spoof animation of Robert Maxwell at the time. I was given the great privilege of drawing some stuff for that. I'm not a huge fan of Steve's Guardian work I am sorry to say, but he is a great fella to talk to. He is, after all is said and done, Steve Bell.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 11:00:42 PM »
I find it amazing Malc, that the "boil" could be done so quickly. I always assumed that it must have took an absolute age, or been an incredible pain in the backside, to create what is for me, an absolute iconic cartoon style. I can't think of any other cartoon of that time that I remember so vividly. It always seemed so..."lively" on screen.

I seem to remember the TRIO ads as being a lot less "boiley" (if that's a word) than Roobarb, but the fact that I do remember them (Susie, hippy guitarist and bongo drummer?), says a lot about the actual advert and the quality of it overall. I always wondered how well adverts aid...I guess I've got a hint now, but I just hope not all of them pay as well, i.e. the fat twat from Gocompare.  >:(

I'm afraid I've never bought a copy of The Guardian, so I've never really seen any of Steve Bell's stuff. Now if he had maybe worked with the Sunday Sport...

;)

Malc

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 02:28:05 AM »
On ad agency rates: My favourite story is of my buddy on Count Duckula in about 1987. He was the lucky one to take the phone call from an ad agency in London. They wanted to use a Count Duckula image but needed it to be "real", i.e. drawn by a Duckula animator. He said he would do it, and took the return number, etc (no emails in them days).

He asked me "how much do you reckon I should charge? I thought about fifty quid?"

"Fifty? It's London rates, mate - gotta be a hundred, or a hundred and fifty"

Right up until the last, after he'd drawn, coloured and sent down the pic, he still hadn't made up his mind on the rate, so in the end the ad agency phoned HIM. He said he was a bit unsure, and had garnered the courage to blurt out "a hundred and fifty?" when they said "look, would a thousand pounds do?"

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 03:53:05 PM »
Suppose it beats Glasgow rates of 3 ginger bottles and a pie supper.  :P

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 11:45:53 PM »
Let me chance my arm and pick some brains a bit more then. Where/how did manga(?) animation develop? I know it's a Japanese thing, but that's about it. It seemed very popular when I was a nipper, and still remember "Battle of the Planets" with great fondness. In fact, why do cartoons have such longevity? It can't just be the bright, eye catching colours surely...that would be fine when you're a child, but not an adult.   ???

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 03:30:29 PM »

Aw for f*** sake.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 05:45:53 PM »
You're Hitler's missing testicle? WOW!!!!
I apologise, in advance.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 09:38:01 PM »
Don't be daft...he's Captain Hook's right hand man. You can clearly see the name-tag.  ..0

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 10:41:58 PM »
Me daft? Captain Hook didn't have a right hand.
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 10:43:35 PM »
Correction...  :-[
I apologise, in advance.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 11:37:51 PM »

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2013, 11:52:45 PM »
One night of filming for just about 3 minutes in the film. I can be seen for 1 second.  But it was a fun thing to do anyway.

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2013, 08:36:18 AM »
Did you get to keep the Nazi uniform? And if so, how often do you still wear it? What was it like working with Hitler?
I apologise, in advance.