Author Topic: Glug glug glug  (Read 10726 times)

Sandy Buttcheeks

Re: Glug glug glug
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 09:42:26 PM »
And if so, that was a bit careless, wasn't it?!

It's ok, it's divx.   ..0

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 06:51:59 PM »
Do you have an underwater camera Bill?
Olympus Ixus 950 IS with waterproof case (to 40m)  but only used it in the pool before we stopped diving.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 01:00:25 AM »
Well there probably isn't much to see or should be seen in a public pool is there. It will be nice when you get out in the sea.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 11:19:47 PM »
Diving update...

Week 4 and I have now swapped regulators (and saliva) underwater with my buddy. I have cleared my mask many times by snorting out the water (and saliva). I have cast aside (and retrieved) my regulator and I have learned to walk into the pool like a real diver.

Does life get any better?   :)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 09:03:06 AM »
Does life get any better?   :)

Unless your "buddy" is Scarlett Johansson, definitely!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »
Did you step into the pool or forward roll?
Were your eyes closed when you ditched and retrieved your regulator?

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 07:23:03 PM »
Did "The Big Step"...as they cleverly call taking a big step into the pool. I am also quite proud that I managed to keep both mask and regulator attached to my person. I believe we roll on in next week.

I had my eyes open for the retrieval as we did it with mask on. In fairness though, I did do the mask on and off too and that went well. Eyes closed but no outrageous panic...just a bit of trying to keep calm and remember to use the mouth for breathing.

Great fun Bill, just wish I had started it years ago (with Scarlett Johansson, of course!)

:)

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 06:43:52 PM »
The forward roll is most spectacular ... providing you get it right.  Otherwise you just look stoopid.

The secret is not trying too hard and letting gravity work.

The hardest thing I've had to do is the ditch & don (just like James Bond).  Wearing full gear, pootle to the 4m point of the pool, remove all gear and make safe (including switching off the cylinder), then return to the surface.  Then return to the kit and put it all back on again.  Sounds simple, but you use most of your breath just swimming (no diving down) down to the kit.  Then its get the bloody regulator in the mouth, breathe in some water, curse, then switch on the cylinder, breathing in some more water then air.  After that its relatively simple - providing you put your weight belt over your knee as you are kneeling on the bottom.  The alternative is hilarious.

p.s. I did this for my Master Scuba Diver qual (under NAUI regs) and not through BSAC. 

Another fun thing before this is to hold the BCD, cylinder (and loads of hoses) and mask, then jump in.  Get down to the 4m point, then switch on the air and breathe, then don all the gear correctly.

Fun times.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 04:41:17 PM »
I'm impressed, Bill. It was nerve wracking enough taking my mask fully off, let alone do an underwater striptease. It's amazing though, how experience always tells. Our own Dive Master came in to oversee the lesson and when it came to do the mask off manoeuvre, a simple action from him was a major factor. As we went to take the mask off, he laid a hand on the shoulder. Instantly made things calmer because you physically felt the presence.

Like I said, I wish I had started this years ago when I first thought about it. Amazing.   8)

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 04:45:23 PM »
You're so right about the calming effect.  Just remember to breathe calmly and chill out (although 8 degrees water temp in March off a RIB in Kimmeridge bay) does to chill you if you are only wearing a wetsuit).

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 08:42:16 PM »
You can't wear a duffel coat, then?

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 06:54:11 PM »
I'm designing thermal pants.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 12:52:32 PM »
You can't wear a duffel coat, then?
There's nothing wrong with wearing a duffel coat.  Might make the knees a bit cold. Oh, and probably you won't be able to get back out of the water with the weight.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »

Not heard of the wooly bear suit you wear under the drysuit?

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 04:22:37 PM »

Not heard of the wooly bear suit you wear under the drysuit?

Oh aye....nice and cosy looking too. The cynical part of me, however, thinks that seeing as how the dive club haven't mentioned how cold a Scottish Loch is in March, it means that it's really bloody freezing and they don't want to scare me off !!

Might even treat myself to some nice fleece shorts...mmmmmmmmmmmm !  ..0