Author Topic: That's Christmas over. thank god  (Read 6723 times)

Malc

That's Christmas over. thank god
« on: December 26, 2014, 07:50:28 AM »
I didn't want to say anything before, you were all so jolly   >:(

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: That's Christmas over. thank god
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 08:45:33 AM »
What's up mate?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 08:32:58 PM »
He's saying what the rest of us, well me at any rate, are thinking.

364 days to go till it all happens again.

:(

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 10:14:17 PM »
Well, while I sympathise with Malc's sentiment, I had a fine Christmas. There were eight of us around the dinner table and that's pretty much my entire family. My son's lovely partner had her own family commitments and couldn't make it and I do have a couple of (geographically) distant cousins but, basically, the whole Kettle clan was in attendance. That's probably why the occasion is less stressful for me---I don't have thirty siblings, nieces, nephews, grandchildren, aunts and uncles to shop for. Or even acknowledge. Hah!
Memories of loved ones, who are no longer around, are dealt with by an inward smile, followed by some warming drinks, a daft quiz game and lots of laughs. That's Christmas.
I was back at work today, writing some scripts about Colonel Escargot talking to his psychiatrist.
This may, or not be, significant...

Redundant

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 12:55:38 PM »
A number of years ago I made the decision to stop drinking, except for when I was on holiday in Crete for some reason, and since then my Christmas seems to mainly consist of picking up sober relatives in my car, waiting several hours and then dropping off drunken relatives, and this year was by that standard very pleasant, only one drunk to get home and that was a short walk [it would have been a lot shorter without the weaving].

My wife continues to make progress health wise so I am in a happy place until fate notices and makes it otherwise [insert sister-in-law joke of your own here].  Had a great time reading new [used] Beau Peep books, discovered I had omitted to purchase book 10 which I need to rectify, and got my regular big chunk of my Daughter's homemade Christmas cake which carries it's own "don't eat and drive" warning...awesome!

Malc

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 12:59:55 PM »
I'm getting worse as I'm getting older. I'm back in Oz at the moment, spending quality time with my two lads here. Unfortunately it's apparent that they're very much doing their own thing, which is natural, though they did spare time to be with their old dad *snif* on Christmas Eve for dinner at the pub.
My oldest is in Bristol, and he made his way back to Kilmarnock to spend time with his mum for Christmas, but I wanted to make sure I was with these two here for this Christmas at least because the way things are going it might be the last we'll spend together for a while - the older one is now a 3rd year electrical apprentice and very heavily involved with his girlfriend and I can see an engagement on the horizon before too long. The youngest bemoans the fact that his brother and playmate isn't around so much these days, but he wouldn't mind a serious relationship either. Not that he's short of female company, judging by the occasional lovebites.

I'm planning to be back in the UK before too long, but at the moment I'm heavily into recording my album. I'm going to be a rock star, I've decided, probably target the indie market, as there's not much call for fat over 50s just breaking in to the biz.

But seriously, I'm recording tracks at the moment, and writing new ones as I go. I've had to force myself to do it by finding and booking a studio, and jumping in the deep end. I thought I'd get a bit of stick and be treated like a silly arse, but the guy I'm working with seems to dig what I'm doing and treats me with respect, so that's a bonus. It's a bit weird recording in the sub tropics, the heat is stifling, and I find it hard to concentrate on anything - music or drawing, but I'm putting it all down to life's rich tapestry. I'm changing my shirt twice a day on average, but last night there was a fantastic monsoon and the temperature dropped to a pleasant 15 degrees or so.

I know you lot are suffering freezing temperatures and snow, and I hate to over-egg this pudding, but I would rather be there. I don't mind rugging up to keep the cold out, but the house I'm staying in has no air conditioning, so I work with a ceiling fan and a pedestal fan blowing full blast to keep cool.

Australia is worse than the UK for Xmas. The bloody country stops at the beginning of December until the beginning of February, it seems as everybody shuts up shop - the TV goes into what they call the "non ratings period", in other words they put any old sh*te on until the competition starts again (for which they have to actually buy new shows).

These odd new faces start showing up to read the news whilst the regulars disappear for a month or more, and they're often better than the useless pr*cks who do the job most of the year. Australia has very much adopted the US attitude to TV, and it's riddled with personality-less coiffured grinning baboons.

Yesterday I drove past a shopping mall and there was a queue out the door waiting for the main supermarket to open. When the auto shutters went up, they flooded in like they'd been marooned on Mars for a year, the shops had only been shut for one day, and people were nearly weeping as they surveyed this cathedral of well stocked shelves and fresh fruit and veg.

I went to my usual coffee shop this morning after a two day hiatus, and it was like being let out of jail. Everything slowly getting back to a semblance of normality.

I have a very good friend who loves Christmas. She buys presents throughout the year when they're at bargain prices so she can fill stockings for her nearest and dearest which she stores for months, and by December 5th her house is like Santa's Grotto. Lights strung everywhere, tree decorated, bless her. Then after Christmas, when the decorations are all back in the loft, she goes into a state of depression for weeks. So who's REALLY got the healthy attitude, her or me?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 03:05:03 PM by Malc »

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »
Malc, I'd love it if we could share even a snippet of your new album on here. I'm not asking for free downloads or anything---just a wee sample when you've got everything down as you want it. I wish you huge success and I'm both envious and delighted you took the step.
My pal, the rock star! Sounds good.

Malc

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 02:03:47 AM »
It will be my pleasure  :D

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »
And you should write the Queen's Christmas Speech next year.
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 06:26:41 AM »
I would write it, but I doubt if she would, er .. . speech it.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 02:14:07 PM »
Malc, do you still have your recording of the song I wrote for you, "If You See Kaye"?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malc

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 05:56:29 AM »
I cancelled that project, owing to potential intellectual copyright conflicts.   ;D

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 01:44:31 PM »
Malc, do you still have your recording of the song I wrote for you, "If You See Kaye"?

;D ;D ;D
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 06:05:54 AM »
Here's the rough mix of "Crossroads", hopefully you can all access it via Drop Box.

The final mix probably won't be for a few weeks as I'm keen to get onto other songs, and the tech/engineer likes to fiddle around with it on his own first and present me with his version. Then I get to "tweak".

Or, as usually happens, I change the whole damn thing.

So in this version all levels are wrong (vocals too high, bass not beefy enough) but have a listen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u44tsxi85juwicb/the%20Crossroads%2008.01.15.mp3?dl=0

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 09:13:09 AM »
Superb stuff, Malc. Love the jangly treble of the guitars, reminded me a bit of Wilko Johnson in parts. Very impressive.

As a guy who's been playing guitar since age 12, I now feel it only fair to hate your obvious over abundance of talents. 

Next dive, I'm staying down.   >:(

Pst...more please.  ;)