Author Topic: A dead cat.  (Read 6982 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
A dead cat.
« on: February 09, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »
One of our two cats died the other day. She was 18 or 19 years old and I gather that's a fair age for these feline freeloaders. She leaves behind a sister of the same age who is fat, glossy and destined to go on forever. When my wife informed me of Katie's passing---Katie being the name of the late cat---it happened to coincide with me getting something in my eye. The resultant watery effect was absolutely and completely down to a bit of stray grit.
Anyway, the local vet charges £27.50 to have your cat cremated and £45.00 if you want the ashes returned afterwards.
I have my memories of Katie, if not the ashes.

Sandy Buttcheeks

Re: A dead cat.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:52:37 PM »
Shame. Always sad when a family pet passes on, even a freeloading feline.

Did you know that cremation remains are called...cremains. However did they think of that ??   ..0

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 02:48:50 AM »
Awww, sorry to hear you lost Katie Roger.  :(  It will be hard on her sister being left alone.

We burry our dead pets, which can cause issues if they pass in winter when the ground is frozen solid.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:42:32 AM »
There's no accounting for grit's timing, is there?

Sorry to hear this, Mate.
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »
I had to take my partner's cat to the vet to be put down, as she was getting too old to take care of even the basic cat stuff. She wasn't eating, was deaf, had no teeth, cried all the time and had started pooing all over the place.

I volunteered to do it, as Lynn just wouldn't face the truth. I mentioned that I'd be prepared to take Sooti to the vet if she felt that she couldn't. Lynn took me up on the offer.

I was there when Sooti died. I bubbled like a baby, and the vet and her assistant scuttled off as fast as they could go to let me have "private time". All I could think of was "why couldn't I let her have just one more day?"

I'm still not over it.

I'm never getting a pet.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 05:33:45 PM »
We 'lost' our oldest feline to old age (17) last year - and did not need the cremains.

On a sadder note, the father-in-law passed away last week at the ripe old age of 91.  We are getting his remains back.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 08:23:28 PM »
Sorry to hear about your loss, Bill. The consolation, I guess, is that your father-in-law had a long and, hopefully, happy life. As a species, we humans seem to be cracking the longevity business. I recall quite clearly the days when reaching the age of seventy (the old "three score years and ten")  was regarded as a "good innings".
On a similarly sombre note, I missed out a couple of details regarding our cat's death. At 7.30 on the morning it happened, my wife had just left the house to pick up her 92 year-old mother who lives just across the road from us. She was taking her mother to the funeral of her 95 year-old brother. It was then my wife noticed the late cat lying in the garden---she'd only let it out half-an-hour earlier. One of those moments when you look skywards and say "Thank you SO much---anything else?"
As for Malc "bubbly" McGookin----what a girl. Like I said, I had grit in my eye...

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 05:56:19 AM »
Sorry for your loss Bill - never easy no matter how old. Best wishes to you and all who loved him.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 06:08:46 AM »

Pets never live long enough and always take a little piece of your heart with them when they die - but at the same time life would be pretty sad without someone in it who was always glad to see you.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:07:17 PM by Diane CBPFC »

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 06:16:13 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments Peepsters.   He was a gentleman and had a trying final year.  But there were smiles on many occasions, especially when he got a hug from his daughter (my better half).

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 08:10:21 PM »
I will never forget the look between my wife and my father-in-law as he lay passing away, Bill. It's  the look that said everything in an instant and the look that no writer, no matter how great, could ever put into words. They both knew how blessed they had been to have had each other.

Me? I just picture my kids at my death bed, rubbing their hands, and whispering "Don't fight it and walk to the light...run if you feel you need to. Your wallet and bank books are safe with us! "

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 07:23:53 AM »

Me? I just picture my kids at my death bed, rubbing their hands, and whispering "Don't fight it and walk to the light...run if you feel you need to. Your wallet and bank books are safe with us! "

Sniff...choke......damn, that grit..........
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 09:35:45 AM »
My wife's been clearing out our son's bedroom---he's long since moved out---in preparation for a re-decorating job. Much to her amusement, she came across a remote-controlled fart machine that she'd given him years ago. She's decided it's going in my coffin---with the remote control tucked in her handbag (black, of course, as a mark of respect).

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 10:10:45 AM »
 :D ;D ;D :D :) ??? :-\ :'( :'( :'(
I apologise, in advance.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 07:17:08 PM »
My wife's been clearing out our son's bedroom---he's long since moved out---in preparation for a re-decorating job. Much to her amusement, she came across a remote-controlled fart machine that she'd given him years ago. She's decided it's going in my coffin---with the remote control tucked in her handbag (black, of course, as a mark of respect).

So will that be a skidmark of respect?