Author Topic: Okay, I'll go first...  (Read 9909 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Okay, I'll go first...
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2016, 05:46:28 PM »
Oh, what a beautiful picture that paints, Diane. So, in summary, the Trump lesser-of-two-evils is the better choice in order to hold up a mirror to what America has become, and from that things may change. Is that fair?

Except that it's complete hogwash. What Trump will do is legitimise people like him, and empower and embolden them to be more open about the 'qualities' they share with the President Elect. And even that is false - there are things they will never share with The Donald. The last thing Trump will ever be is a Man Of The People - never was, never will be. He was born into wealth and privilege and will no doubt die in even greater wealth and privilege. He knows NOTHING about how it is to be an 'ordinary American', struggling to get by with everyday worries and responsibilities (and no, I'm not saying Clinton does either).

I completely accept Hillary Clinton was the wrong choice to run for the Democrats, and had I the choice, the only reason I would have voted for her would have been to try to stop Trump. That should never have to be a reason, but tragically it was, for so many. However, under the iniquitous electoral college system, sadly not enough.

Okay, perhaps the nearest we might get to any sort of accord on this would be to say that although we may not agree which was the lesser (or greater) of the two evils, evils they were and neither should have found themselves anywhere near the White House door. Had almost anyone else on the planet been in either pair of shoes in this election, they would have been defeated by a landslide.

There will never be a perfect President for all the people. There are too many tough decisions to be made for that to ever happen, and prejudices are part of the human condition, sadly. But from where I'm standing, had I the power to do so, I'd scrap the whole thing, let Obama stay another term, and do it all again when things settle down and two sane, rational candidates can be found. Either that, or put 300 million names in a hat...
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
When people vote with courage and kindness rather than fear and greed, things will change. It is logical that a society without a social safety net will make a population greedy and scared. It is a downward spiral. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2016, 08:00:45 PM »
When people vote with courage and kindness rather than fear and greed, things will change.

Bit of a chicken and egg one that though, Diane. Neither of the candidates would exactly match up to a courage and kindness ticket. I don't know enough about the other candidates to say any of them would fit the bill either, but in any case, to elect any of them would involve a paradigm shift of monumental proportions in how people vote. And the problem is that basic human nature dictates that we elect strong leaders, and although courage might be a part of that, sadly (and I do mean that) kindness is almost looked upon as a weakness when pragmatism is the main requirement of those who run our countries. For my money, Obama has come closer to pulling that one off than any other world leader I can think of in my lifetime. And yet, look who's following him...
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2016, 09:03:05 PM »
Jill Stein of the Green party was almost identical in platform as Bernie Sanders, I think at one point she even offered him the party leadership. They would have swept the young votes and a portion of the 43% that didn't vote - they could have won - free college and backing off the war industry.

I hope something good happens in 2020 but already with Trump, the TPP is dead in the water, so that is off to a good start. People want to have wealth for their own citizens not better trade and labour deals that only benefit the super rich. This could very well be the start of an uprising of regular people and I have more hope with him than with her. He is horrible but he grew on me in comparison. Like the Walking Dead show - the Governor is starting to look good to me now.

They say hindsight is 2020 :-)

Redundant

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2016, 09:21:05 PM »
I wish you well in your hopes for Trump, I'm an atheist so I don't do messiahs.   I look at America eight years ago and the election of President Obama and the world was polarised by how amazing it all seemed, eight years on and it's President Elect Trump, who can't even wait until he's President before kicking in the nepotism.   Incidentally three of the "family members" in his transition team are also allegedly to control a blind trust of Trumps businesses whilst he is out making America great again.   If it's a blind trust, they can't control it, by definition blind trusts are independently controlled.  If anyone, anyone, actually believes that Trump won't still be involved in his businesses [via his kids who "won't discuss the business with Dad, honest"] I want to know, because I have ten thousand acres of prime real estate at the bottom of the Atlantic, going cheap.

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2016, 09:29:29 PM »
They say hindsight is 2020 :-)

When we get to 2020, we'll see.  ;)

Greens plus Sanders would have got my vote, but I'm less convinced it would have been part of a Mexican (what wall?) Wave of support across America. Nice thought, but one for the future perhaps, once Trump is finished.
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2016, 09:31:52 PM »
I wish you well in your hopes for Trump, I'm an atheist so I don't do messiahs.   I look at America eight years ago and the election of President Obama and the world was polarised by how amazing it all seemed, eight years on and it's President Elect Trump, who can't even wait until he's President before kicking in the nepotism.   Incidentally three of the "family members" in his transition team are also allegedly to control a blind trust of Trumps businesses whilst he is out making America great again.   If it's a blind trust, they can't control it, by definition blind trusts are independently controlled.  If anyone, anyone, actually believes that Trump won't still be involved in his businesses [via his kids who "won't discuss the business with Dad, honest"] I want to know, because I have ten thousand acres of prime real estate at the bottom of the Atlantic, going cheap.

;D  I'm with the Atheist (forgive me, Lord!).  ;D
I apologise, in advance.

Redundant

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2016, 09:10:00 AM »

;D  I'm with the Atheist (forgive me, Lord!).  ;D

Great, now go out and sell us 500 acres of "ATLANTICA - The City of the Future" [I knew that course at Trump University would come in handy]

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2016, 11:01:35 AM »
I suggest free snorkels with every order.
I apologise, in advance.

Redundant

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2016, 12:12:43 PM »
It's a nice idea, but not big enough, I plan to sell them gills, surgically implanted on completion of their new undersea home.  Simpler this way, drug them, superglue some fish gills to their necks, wake them up when the boat's "overhead" of their property, throw them in and tell them to swim down.   Throw in some "Atlantica" iron ankle bracelets...another satisfied consumer.

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2016, 04:02:51 PM »
Trump needs you in his team!
I apologise, in advance.