Author Topic: Okay, I'll go first...  (Read 9911 times)

Redundant

Okay, I'll go first...
« on: November 09, 2016, 02:32:16 PM »
...America!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(   What did you do?  <- <- <- <- <-   What the......  (*coat*)

I won't go into detail, it's all there in all its glory on the various news sites.   What was particularly unique about the American election, which surprisingly none may have noticed, is that it is the epitome of an earlier post of mine, the theory that "Stupidity is the new normal" which can be found here: http://www.cameldung.co.uk/index.php?topic=2854.0.

To be fair that topic was primarily not about stupidity itself, but it's acceptance as the new normal, and how pointing out something stupid could make you the bad guy, despite some other idiot actually doing the stupid bit.   Because stupidity is the new normal.

Nevertheless I am less than absolutely delighted that the American voters [let's be more specific, essentially all the white guys] took note of that theory, and made it their own, a father couldn't be less proud at this moment.

One comment I did like went something like "Out of a population of 321 million, how come this is the choice we ended up with?"

So there you have it, one theory utterly and completely vindicated, and all it took was the emasculation of America to do it...a small price to pay I think you'll agree.

Sadly it's a theory that may soon have had its day, just as technological changes are accelerating, so to is stupidity, but fear not, the theory that "The inmates have taken over the asylum" may well prove to be a worthy successor.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:34:35 PM by Redundant »

Madmalc

Re: Okay, I'll go first...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 06:13:49 PM »
...America!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(   What did you do?  <- <- <- <- <-   What the......  (*coat*)

I won't go into detail, it's all there in all its glory on the various news sites.   What was particularly unique about the American election, which surprisingly none may have noticed, is that it is the epitome of an earlier post of mine, the theory that "Stupidity is the new normal" which can be found here: http://www.cameldung.co.uk/index.php?topic=2854.0.

To be fair that topic was primarily not about stupidity itself, but it's acceptance as the new normal, and how pointing out something stupid could make you the bad guy, despite some other idiot actually doing the stupid bit.   Because stupidity is the new normal.

Nevertheless I am less than absolutely delighted that the American voters [let's be more specific, essentially all the white guys] took note of that theory, and made it their own, a father couldn't be less proud at this moment.

One comment I did like went something like "Out of a population of 321 million, how come this is the choice we ended up with?"

So there you have it, one theory utterly and completely vindicated, and all it took was the emasculation of America to do it...a small price to pay I think you'll agree.

Sadly it's a theory that may soon have had its day, just as technological changes are accelerating, so to is stupidity, but fear not, the theory that "The inmates have taken over the asylum" may well prove to be a worthy successor.

is this from the same country that voted to leave the EU and elected Boris Johnson as Mayor of London? ;)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 06:50:58 PM »
I can't help thinking that this whole business is like Mel Brooks' "The Producers". Instead of "Springtime for Hitler", the grotesquely inappropriate focal point is Donald Trump. In both cases, neither was supposed to actually succeed.

Redundant

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 08:14:47 PM »

is this from the same country that voted to leave the EU and elected Boris Johnson as Mayor of London? ;)

Nice try MadMalc, but sadly...no it's not.   It's from the Isle of Man, which can be found wandering the Irish Sea with the English to the East, the Irish to the West and the Scots to the North [no point mentioning Wales, it ruins the whole compass thing otherwise].  The Isle of Man is independent [mostly] and gets no votes in British politics including anything to do with the EU.  We have our own Parliament [and I use that term loosely] and there I concede, we vote the same trolls into power time and time again, and then Bi*ch about it for four years afterwards.

SO Brexit...not my fault, Boris Johnson...not my fault, I might have used either to prove the stupidity theory, but I was waiting for stupidity so humongous as never to be repeated...unless he stands for re-election of course...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:25:53 PM by Redundant »

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 08:58:20 PM »
SO Brexit...not my fault, Boris Johnson...not my fault, I might have used either to prove the stupidity theory

It might turn out that neither proves to be stupid. Mind you, I can't see me giving a toss either way.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 12:14:30 AM »
See, this is the problem with democracy.

You give people the right to vote, and what do they do? They use it, that's what! Before you know it, you have someone in power that the majority of the people wanted!

;)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 08:28:17 AM »
Yes, but even that didn't happen. The majority voted for Clinton. They have an even more unfair General Election system than we do.
I apologise, in advance.

Redundant

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 08:46:17 AM »
Yes, but even that didn't happen. The majority voted for Clinton. They have an even more unfair General Election system than we do.

Nice work my friend, not jealous in the least that I have to come up with dozens of words and frequently fail to say what I mean, and your picture...   If you're the "glass is half full" type you might imagine President Elect Trump might actually do some good, those of other disposition might be hoping he steals President Harrisons record.   I no longer care, it's one thing to come up with theories about stupidity, it's another thing to watch it in action.

My next theory will almost certainly relate to flowers, and how the scent of them seems to be increasing in a delightful way, bringing harmony and peace to a cynical old world, oh and there will be rainbows and possibly unicorns.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 09:37:16 AM »
Of course, no-one would wish the same end that cut short Harrison's tenure at the White House (32 days, before pneumonia finally removed him from office, and life, to save those who didn't know from checking on Wikipedia...like I just did). I'm hoping he'll do a Diane James (hopefully his buddy Farage will do the introductions) before swearing himself in - "Sh*t, yeah - I'll do it!".

Failing that, the search for a nice grassy knoll is on...
I apologise, in advance.

Redundant

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 10:41:33 AM »
The Harrison bit is only from my short term memory, I read somewhere he was the "outdoors" type and despite it being mid winter and freezing he insisted in doing his inaugural as President wearing just shirtsleeves.   There's no direct link to the later pneumonia but...

I'm not ready for the grassy knoll just yet, probably because that might well be his supporters solution if Clinton had won, no problem letting karma have a go, but karma is a bit hit and miss, so for me natural causes is the route to adopt.

With a little luck, there will be so much back stabbing and muck raking going on within the Republican camp, we might even get Nixon II...

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 02:35:18 PM »
Oh, I wasn't suggesting anyone should take uo the Grassy Knoll Option. Heaven forfend! That would be for the Illuminati.

Weird thing is you can almost look back and feel sorry for Nixon now. All he did was a little bit of taping. That wouldn't even merit detention these days.

Okay, any weak excuse for another cartoon....

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 02:37:54 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 06:41:17 PM »
Superb, Steve. Yet another cracker.

Redundant

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 07:08:02 PM »

Okay, any weak excuse for another cartoon....

[Brilliant] git.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 12:23:53 AM »
Thank you, thank you! I shall try not to make a habit of it. Most kind!

This evening, I've been educating myself (  :D ) a little in the United States electoral college voting system this, as well as enjoying a few robust Internet exchanges with a Trump-supporting cartoonist friend (who I normally get on very well with) as he tries to defend how they do things. It's a joke! Lord knows our own electoral system is flawed enough, but over there, they vote for 'Electors' to make the decision for them, each state having an allocation of these people, mostly pledged to one of the two main candidates/parties. But they can, and occasionally do, change their minds, before formally declaring in mid-December. Those that change their minds are known as 'faithless electors', and there have never been enough of them to have actually changed the outcome of an election.

It would take about 20 of them to overturn this one, and place Hillary Clinton at the White House door where she probably belongs, having polled around 200,000 more votes than Trump, and who only won because of this iniquitous system. But even in the unprecedented event of that happening (and I guess if any result might set the precedent, this would be it), Congress would then slap it down again when IT gets to decide in early January, before Inauguration Day on January 20th. Basically, the people are not trusted to make the right choice, at least not entirely.

My cartoonist friend tried to explain it to me, but I was horrified when what started as an attempt to justify 'cultural differences' as reason enough for the different values placed on votes in some areas, eventually boiled down to why should a drug addict's vote count the same as a thoracic surgeon's. Unbelievably judgemental bollocks!

So, Trump was right after all - it was rigged!

I apologise, in advance.

Redundant

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 12:18:01 PM »
"...the people are not trusted to make the right choice..."   Can't imagine that scenario...

I frequently try to make sense of the world we live in, and then I take sufficient prescription drugs to ensure I can't try that again for a while.   I may avoid American politics for a while, sadly for me Trump represents so many negative features of humanity I can barely listen to him without feeling the need to vomit.

Democracy is broken, and we keep electing the wrong people to fix it, if it is in fact fixable, which I doubt.  I did a topic somewhere based on the quote "Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite" or roughly translated ""Every Nation gets the government it deserves" the link is below.   I am not sure that actually applies any more, we may have actually gone beyond that point.  Elections have become a thing of desperation, anger and false hope, we'll cling to any false messiahs who promise to "make [Insert country here] great again", who will "house the homeless", "make poverty a thing of the past", "build a more robust economy", "bring employment where there is none".

In reality they just prop up the status quo as best they can, paper over the cracks and hope the great unwashed remain glued to the "entertainment" box in the corner.

Time for the Co-Codomol I think...

Link:   http://www.cameldung.co.uk/index.php?topic=2950.msg42044#msg42044
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:20:41 PM by Redundant »