Author Topic: Covid19 Roll Call  (Read 6635 times)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Covid19 Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 12:56:35 AM »
The video would have been better had it not ended as an advert.

I think "ended as an advert" is a bit of an overstatement. I've watched this about a dozen times now, and shared it at least half a dozen times, and no-one has mentioned till now any reference to advertising. Nor had I actually taken any notice of the two website links shown very briefly at the end (for about 2 seconds, and not live links - I had to pause the video in order to even read them). If it was intended to be an advert, then it was superb at delivering a deeply engaging message, but absolutely rubbish at enticing you to follow that up by 'buying' something. I've followed both links now, and they belong to the artist who created the video and her partner, who appears to be an organiser of tantric events. The video has (at the time of writing) been watched nearly 17,000 times in the past four days. If they get a little business out of it, then well done. I think that's fair, given that what she's produced is thought-provoking, profound, and something that might provide a lot of hope and light in these otherwise dark times. But I do think all that most people will see when they watch it is the message.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 09:09:13 AM »
I don't disagree with anything you said. And I enjoyed and agreed with the video's message.

Perhaps it's just the cynic in me, but I did notice the websites the first time, and followed the links and was slightly disappointed that they were for a site selling tickets to events. I wondered why the creator put in the websites at all if the message is what is important. I would have enjoyed the video more had I not been left feeling that she is using the coronavirus tragedy to further her business, even if that was not her intention.

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 12:41:17 PM »
She created something positive and uplifting. I don't begrudge her 'signing her work' or pointing to places where people can find more of it if they want to. I sign everything I draw - but not because I hope to sell more - it's more about pride and ownership. Every video 'Christmas Card' I've created over the past years have ended with my website address. Yes, I send it to business contacts as well as friends and family. I'd be hugely disappointed if anyone thought they were purely about advertising though. By that token, we all advertise ourselves every time we put our name to anything we put out in public. In this case, it may even be reassuring to know that this came from an artist and not any PR firm paid for by government or state.

And perhaps some people might even enjoy going to these events, poo-face!  :P
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 01:34:15 PM »
As I said, I was probably in a cynical mood at the time. There is also the possibility that this was created for her website and not to be sent around social media, in which case I would be wrong in my assessment of her motives, not that I might not be wrong anyway.

And seriously, would you go?  8)

Here's a cool simulation for social distancing.

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 02:25:23 PM »
And seriously, would you go?  8)

Not at the moment, no. But eventually, I'll be delighted to go anywhere!

Here's a cool simulation for social distancing.

Excellent! Does that mean if we tread on the blue ants, we'll be safe?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 04:12:03 PM »
This whole thing is so sad: the first 100,000 cases took about 80 to 90 days; the second 100,000 cases took 12 days; the next 100,000 cases took just 4 days.

And the next 100,000 in less than three days.

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 06:52:45 PM »
This whole thing is so sad: the first 100,000 cases took about 80 to 90 days; the second 100,000 cases took 12 days; the next 100,000 cases took just 4 days.

And the next 100,000 in less than three days.

Trying to stay a little bit positive at least, It needs to be stressed that these are cases, and not deaths. The vast majority of which will make complete and joyous recoveries (some with very little discomfort along the way, others even with none at all), and all of whom immediately become superheroes, practically invulnerable against the virus, and potentially able to enlist in the army dedicated to fighting it.

I never thought I'd become a Pollyanna, but there you go.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2020, 08:54:08 PM »
Everything seems bad at the moment. But the figures and statistics are there to inform and warn us, and lead us to the best solutions, no matter how hard they may be. It will take time. But soon things life will return to normal, and I hope when they do, everyone will have a greater appreciation of everything they once took for granted.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 11:07:12 AM »
There have been 10,000 deaths from the start of the outbreak to yesterday morning. The next 10,000 will likely die in the seven days from then. If India, Pakistan go full pandemic, 10,000 will be a daily value. And that's just more than a bit scary.

Correction: the next 10,000 took 5.5 days.

Twenty countries now have between 1000 and 5000 cases. In two weeks, I predict 10,000 fatalities a day without India and Pakistan even needing to go full pandemic.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 06:47:09 PM »
Mince, believe it or not, we're all aware of the current pandemic. I'm not sure that you updating us daily on the death rate---and coupling that with your dire predictions---is spreading much comfort!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 07:46:27 PM »
Antarctica has zero cases.

Mind you, that's probably because they are so ice-solated.

But I predict that number is going to double day by day.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2020, 08:50:05 PM »
Okay, here's something jovial for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h9rEcvCpjc

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 08:31:07 AM »
Also, in just the last two days, there have been ... er ... 100,000 ... er ... ducks.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2020, 01:25:23 PM »
Both SWMBY and I are fine with no symptoms so far.  I managed to get our normal food items before the panic and have secreted a couple of pints of milk in the vreezer.  I've even bought some evaporated milk for emergencies and a squeezy tube of condensed milk just to remind me of compo rations.  Had enough loo rolls before the panic and have not been able to get any for the past three weeks - bought two newspapers for emergency supply.

We have been inside (or around the house) since last Wednesday (i popped out for prescriptions and food).  The daughter is also isolated but we get the occasional video chat or distance chat outside our home when she walks the hound.  She can work from home.  The son is in London and working from home but has two female hypochondriacs as housemates.  He may have to go into work at the Home Office.

Like a lot of people I am overweight and hypertensive, with BP medication that puts me at risk of more serious reaction to the virus, so am taking care. 

I hope you are all doing ok and keeping safe.

On a bonus - its been sunny in Evesham the past week so my solar panels have been working overtime and earning pennies.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2020, 07:02:30 PM »
Good to hear you're safe and well, Bill, in these surreal times.
To pass the time, I have invented a drinking game. Every time someone on TV mentions the word "unprecedented", I have a gin and tonic. After about two hours, I keel over and wake up the following day. It makes the time fly!