Author Topic: You'll find me in the garden.  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

You'll find me in the garden.
« on: June 12, 2023, 05:47:06 PM »
I have gone a little garden crazy this year. We had a very early spring - the lilacs bloomed 3-4 weeks early and I got into the veggie garden early. A lot of it was the 2.5 weeks of fire evacuation alert readiness - the garden was a welcome retreat from worry.

Having such a head start this year, I took on two new projects up by the house, a raspberry bed and widening a bed that only held bitter cherry bushes (pretty) and lungwort to make it into a more fancy perennial bed with roses, spirea and irises etc. To be fair, without my son coming up and helping with the bed widening project it wouldn't have happened because under the grass unseen was a mass of big tree roots that had to be axed - it is handy to have a boy built like a Viking at times :-)

So that's what I've been up to, proper gardening with bits of string in my pocket and spraying diatomaceous earth on my cucs listening to the bees and the birds and cheeky squirrels. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: You'll find me in the garden.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 10:33:13 AM »
That's an impressive garden, Diane---allied with some impressive gardening.
My own garden is what I like to call "au naturel". It has the untamed splendour of a miniature Serengeti. All it lacks is a herd of grazing wildebeest making its way south in search of richer pastures. I find it impossible to look at without hearing a David Attenborough narration in my head. Okay, a slight exaggeration but my fingers certainly ain't green. However, I do like the garden and my family spent a very happy afternoon in it ten days ago to celebrate my granddaughter's first birthday. (Yes, I know, it's only two minutes since we discussed her arrival on here). So, in fact, I HAVE managed to cultivate some things in it---memories!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 10:24:50 PM »
That sounds like a lovely way to use the garden.

You just need to put up a sign "bee friendly garden" and you can get away with the natural look, in fact you are trending in current garden design :-)
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 09:28:01 AM »
I knew it!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 12:46:21 PM »
Just for emphasis and clarity, Roger - that's "BEE"... no 'R'.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 03:47:00 PM »
I think Tarqs you will find that both with and without the R, this would be a popular garden plan ;-) 

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 06:11:36 AM »
You wouldn't have found me in the garden today. A bear and her cubs walked through it last night. The neighbour got photos when they were in her garden but I didn't. I did get to see the mother but not the cubs - they can sure cover a lot of ground in a short time, I saw her running off into the bush.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 09:10:52 AM »
From beer garden to bear garden...

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 07:55:00 PM »
Which reminds me of the time I rolled my ankle and saw my South African doctor who asked me "did I wipe beer on it" I said I hadn't, as I didn't know that would do it any good. But what he was really asking me is if my weight could bare on it. 

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2023, 11:13:05 AM »
That's an impressive garden, Diane---allied with some impressive gardening.

How does a garden become allies with an activity?

"That's an impressive garden, Diane, that reflects your impressive gardening skills."

I'll get my coat!

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 09:52:01 AM »
Yes, get your coat---allied with a hat.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2023, 10:52:47 AM »
He's got a pet ant, you know.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2023, 01:28:46 AM »
When I went down to the garden to tie up the peas this afternoon, I saw a hare and the back end of a beaver as it went in the pond.

I spent 24 hours in the city (Edmonton) last week - it was quite awful - cement palaces surrounding homeless beggars, security everywhere and traffic coming at you every which way. I was glad to get back to my hermitage in the bush, but it was lovely to see our youngest walk across the stage to get her degree.

Fire worries are now over, new worries are grasshoppers eating all the hay crop. 

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2023, 06:32:23 PM »
 Beavers are amazing creatures. The skill and complexity involved in constructing their dams is incredible. AND they work like, well, beavers! As I keep saying, Diane, I love hearing about the wildlife that wanders past your house on a daily basis. I am extremely envious!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2023, 09:24:18 PM »
Have you read the book "Devil in Deerskins, My Life with Grey Owl" by Anahareo?

You might like it, the story of saving beaver habitat in the early days of conservation.