Author Topic: Beau Peep trivia challenge  (Read 182163 times)

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
Re: Beau Peep trivia challenge
« Reply #675 on: May 26, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
Who's fiddling?

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #676 on: May 26, 2010, 06:37:21 PM »
Aw, Peter had to go and spoil it all. No fiddling - just four tens in 50 seconds in a row.

Actually, since 'Quiz Peter' is patently not the same peter of this parish (his IP address doesn't match anyone's in here, and would indicate a Manchester location), I'm considering banning him altogether from the quiz for the following reasons:

a)  He is not a contributing member of the Beau Peep forums.
b)  He is boringly good at the quiz, and virtually unbeatable.
c)  Because I can.

I'd be happy to hear arguments for or against, while I make up my mind, especially from Peter, should he in fact be a contributing member here under another name, and using a different computer.
I apologise, in advance.

Jack

« Reply #677 on: May 26, 2010, 06:40:51 PM »
And all my pacing efforts were for nothing... :(

Actually no, I did start out counting the seconds to try and time it, but ended up having to think about one of the questions, losing track of the time, and just clicking when done, sure I'd gone over the 50.

When it came up as 50, I assumed that it had glitched, and was giving everyone 50 seconds as the time regardless.

Sadly not.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #678 on: May 26, 2010, 08:03:07 PM »
Aw, Peter had to go and spoil it all. No fiddling - just four tens in 50 seconds in a row.

Actually, since 'Quiz Peter' is patently not the same peter of this parish (his IP address doesn't match anyone's in here, and would indicate a Manchester location), I'm considering banning him altogether from the quiz for the following reasons:

a)  He is not a contributing member of the Beau Peep forums.
b)  He is boringly good at the quiz, and virtually unbeatable.
c)  Because I can.

I'd be happy to hear arguments for or against, while I make up my mind, especially from Peter, should he in fact be a contributing member here under another name, and using a different computer.

Far be it for me to comment on this topic, but I thought that this 'Peter' was our 'peter', the one wot cant spel rite and is the puported initiator of our beloved Mince.  What's the point of playing if he keeps winning and in amazing times.!!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #679 on: May 26, 2010, 09:32:31 PM »
I think we should handicap Malc while we are at it.  In fact it would be so much nicer if just TTIII and me played.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Jack

« Reply #680 on: May 26, 2010, 11:17:53 PM »
I think we should handicap Malc while we are at it.  In fact, don't let anybody else play. Just me and TTIII... I can beat that thicko easily.

If I were Tarks, I'd be feeling pretty insulted right now... ;)

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #681 on: May 27, 2010, 06:30:31 AM »
Nah, TTIII knows the same things that I don't know, that's all.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #682 on: May 27, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »
I made a solemn vow not to be the first each day, (it's difficult not to be, seeing as we're the first civilized country to break the dateline , NZ being still populated by ignorant savages),  but when I successfully avoided being the first, I went and forgot to play at all that day.

Being first means your score and time is up there for everyone to see, so if you were Peter and you saw that Malky only got 8 (and took 56 seconds to do  it, and Tarks got 9, (with a 67 second  time) then you can crack your knuckles and relax, knowing that even a 70 second finish will put you in first place if you get 10.

Conversely, if you see that Bilthehut got 10 and only took 50 seconds to do it, you know that the job is very simple - go for it as quick as poss and if you drop a point, too bad. This is why Peter always seems to get that irritating two seconds less than his nearest rival.

My other pathetic excuse is that I use a Wacom pen, which gives me accuracy and control in Photoshop, but not speed in a Trivia quiz. I could connect up a mouse too, but then I would be preparing for the competition and I think that's tantamount to cheating.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #683 on: May 27, 2010, 10:19:40 PM »
Conversely, if you see that Bilthehut got 10 and only took 50 seconds to do it, you know that the job is very simple -

Sometimes I surprise even myself how fast I do it.  But then back to the quiz...

« Reply #684 on: May 27, 2010, 11:13:46 PM »
Okay - I've made the question clear and democratic (see the top of the page). Please exercise your right. Or your left, if you're that way inclined.
I apologise, in advance.

Tom

« Reply #685 on: May 27, 2010, 11:19:52 PM »
I've added a bit of excitement to the vote.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #686 on: June 01, 2010, 11:22:17 AM »
I've added a bit of excitement to the vote.
Which was?

Jack

« Reply #687 on: June 01, 2010, 05:28:02 PM »
He did a little tap-dance whilst voting.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #688 on: June 01, 2010, 05:55:30 PM »
I think Peter is Mince in the trivia challenge.

I don't know how sporting it would be to ban someone.

However, if you were going to ban someone, the first of the month would be ideal before they had too much invested in it [looks at Calendar - well lookie here it's the 1st of June]. Just saying.

« Reply #689 on: June 07, 2010, 01:38:01 PM »
I think Peter is Mince in the trivia challenge.

I don't know how sporting it would be to ban someone.

However, if you were going to ban someone, the first of the month would be ideal before they had too much invested in it [looks at Calendar - well lookie here it's the 1st of June]. Just saying.

I think it is very unsporting that we have a quiz player who seemingly isn't interested in being a part of the group that makes up the body of its contestants, and therefore is just a name that collects high scores. I admit that I'd be less concerned were Peter to be languishing at the bottom of the score list, but that isn't for my own sake, since it's been a long time since I was anywhere near the top. I just think that the ambience of the quiz is made by the fact we all know a little of each other through this forum.

However, I don't want to be an out and out meanie, so here's what I'm gonna do. Peter has the rest of this calendar month in which to sign up to this forum (indications are that this Peter isn't even a member here) with the same IP address as he uses for the quiz (i.e. - he uses the same computer - imposter Peter's will not be accepted), and to post at least a couple of messages on the boards to announce his arrival, and intention to 'belong'. If he does this, he stays in the quiz. If he doesn't, he goes.

Fair enough?
I apologise, in advance.