Author Topic: Debit/Credit card fraud  (Read 16025 times)

Vulture

Re: Debit/Credit card fraud
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 12:37:42 PM »
Apalling! I wish them boils - large, painful ones. The low-down stoopers!

Keep us posted, Vult - if the bank don't help out, we'll send the boys round to persuade them.

So sorry!

Actually, Peter and everyone, I know it'll be a lot of inconvenience before it's all over but: no-one died and no blood was spilt. I'm a great believer in what goes around comes around. The people/person who did this will get their/his comeuppance but I'm not going to bring myself down to their level doing it.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 12:43:09 PM »
The people/person who did this will get their/his comeuppance but I'm not going to bring myself down to their level doing it.

Yeah, but if you knew who is was, you'd slap 'em.

Vulture

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 12:47:40 PM »
dismemberment? Is that where your membership is cancelled?

On a serious note, Vulch, my wife Mel has worked for a bank since the dawn of time and she says that your next move should be to go into your nearest branch and fill out a Disputed Transaction Form. Your bank can't act upon anything until they have written documentation to support your request.
Upon receiving this, your bank has ways and means of tracing and refunding your money.
Your bank has a fraud dept, who have extensive experience in this field.

Do you have internet banking with your financial institution? If so, you can contact them via the web. If not, go on your bank's website anyway, there will be a link for for lost or stolen cards, there should be a service 24/7, 365 days per year.

Mel reckons you will get your money back, but it's a pity that these hurdles have to take up so much time and effort.

I phoned my internet bank this morning. The Fraud department took all the details then, at my request, blocked my card. The lady then tried to order a new card for me but couldn't, because she'd blocked my card. She said I would 'probably be refunded in the next 5 or 6 weeks' but whether the 'probably' refered to the refund or the '5 or 6 weeks' remains unclear. She then suggested I go to my nearest branch of Abbey, with proof of identity, and ask for a new card. At no time did she, or my local branch, ask me to fill in any form.

Vulture

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 12:48:52 PM »
The people/person who did this will get their/his comeuppance but I'm not going to bring myself down to their level doing it.

Yeah, but if you knew who is was, you'd slap 'em.

No, I wouldn't. I have a 19 stone body-builder for a son - he can do it!

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 01:01:49 PM »
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 01:02:56 PM »
I forgot to add the  ::)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 01:20:06 PM »

Mince SO doesn't like being WRONG!

"Hung, drawn and quartered" is accepted colloquial English in my regional "piss-off-you-annoying-git" dialect.

Vulture

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 01:59:30 PM »
Shouldn't there be a comma between 'piss off' and 'you annoying git'?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 02:15:52 PM »
Shouldn't there be a comma between 'piss off' and 'you annoying git'?

Quite right, Vulch. Just because you're old and vulnerable to scams, he thinks he can become slovenly when addressing you.  ::)

peter

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 02:27:10 PM »
I also am sorry this has happened but I bet it is not sorted quickly and the bank will assume you are guilty until you prove otherwise.
sorry to be negative but I have had dealings with banks befor.

Sorry I reread this and realised I had missed two words out .it should read better now
My apologise Vulture I did not mean to  have a go at you,

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 02:32:08 PM »
I also am sorry this has happened but I bet it is not sorted quickly and the bank will assume you are guilty until you prove otherwise.
sorry to be negative but I have had dealings with banks befor.

Sorry I reread this and realised I had missed two words out .it should read better now
My apologise Vulture I did not mean to  have a go at you,

Can we have a prize for guessing the two words?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 02:53:34 PM »
So sorry to hear this Vulture - I too think the bank won't hold you responsible but it is still a worry while they sort it all out.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

peter

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 03:59:54 PM »
What is so annoying is they say it will take five or six weeks to sort it but what are you supposed to live off in the mean time.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 05:05:02 PM »
And if you dare to go over your overdraft limit, the daily ?30 letters start immediately.

Oooooh! Don't get me started....... >:(
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 05:15:30 PM »
She then suggested I go to my nearest branch of Abbey, with proof of identity, and ask for a new card. At no time did she, or my local branch, ask me to fill in any form.

Vulch,
I've learned to my cost that in banking matters, Mel is never wrong. You've basically cancelled your card, that's all. You need to follow it up with something in writing, something with a reference number, a number you can quote when you send irate queries. Somewhere there is a form. Fill it in.