Author Topic: The Annual Plea For Help.  (Read 10421 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: The Annual Plea For Help.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 09:38:48 AM »
What army officer resigned to take the position of Post Master of St. Louis - Col.Rufus Easton (I think)
I'll investigate this----thanks.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 09:51:37 AM »
I can't read anything like this, even from Roger, without thinking I'm being set up. You larrikins, you. By larrikins I mean bastards, of course.
I'm sort of a barrakin.
As you know, Malc, I attempt this damn quiz every year. In recent times, because most people have internet access, the questions have become more and more obscure.
It annoys me but I still waste far too much time with it.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 09:59:50 AM »
I can't read anything like this, even from Roger, without thinking I'm being set up. You larrikins, you. By larrikins I mean bastards, of course.

What's wrong with bastards, Malc. Some of us have grown up to lead perfectly useful lives!

To be fair, Vult, Malc didn't imply that bastards were useless, merely devious.
I apologise, in advance.

Vulture

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »

What's wrong with bastards, Malc. Some of us have grown up to lead perfectly useful lives!

To be fair, Vult, Malc didn't imply that bastards were useless, merely devious.

He didn't imply anything - he was being derogatory!

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 07:27:13 PM »
He was being light-hearted, Vulture, as was I.

I'm sorry if in the process you felt there was a greater depth to the use of the word bastard than the way it was used in this instance, but although illegitimacy (and if there was ever a term to take exception to it's that one) has suffered grossly unfair stigma by the hi-jacking of the word over the years, thankfully that stigma attached to fatherless children has all but disappeared these days, due to more enlightened attitudes, far greater things to worry about, and the crumbling of marriage as the norm. I guess some of that is to be welcomed, if not all.

The increasingly complex nature of relationships means that the word bastard is now almost exclusively confined to it's own very separate dictionary definition of a 'despicable person', and there is no hint of a crossover into illegitimacy in its common, modern-day usage.

That said, as someone who has on a good number of times wished he was one, I'm very sorry if the use of the word bastard  in any context causes you pain, Vult, and I now regret my flippancy.
I apologise, in advance.

Vulture

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 09:52:36 PM »

I'm sorry if in the process you felt there was a greater depth to the use of the word bastard than the way it was used in this instance, but although illegitimacy (and if there was ever a term to take exception to it's that one) has suffered grossly unfair stigma by the hi-jacking of the word over the years, thankfully that stigma attached to fatherless children has all but disappeared these days, due to more enlightened attitudes, far greater things to worry about, and the crumbling of marriage as the norm. I guess some of that is to be welcomed, if not all.

The increasingly complex nature of relationships means that the word bastard is now almost exclusively confined to it's own very separate dictionary definition of a 'despicable person', and there is no hint of a crossover into illegitimacy in its common, modern-day usage.

That said, as someone who has on a good number of times wished he was one, I'm very sorry if the use of the word bastard  in any context causes you pain, Vult, and I now regret my flippancy.

OMG! Tarquin, you do go on.  I was answering Malc's post as a genuine paid up member of the Bastards Union!

There are very few of us left now; we were bastards when being a bastard was something to be proud of; before bastardy got downgraded (or should that be 'dumbed down'?) to 'love child' or other words of that ilk.

As the oldest surviving member of this elite group, I have to make sure that the word bastard is only used to describe fully paid up BORN bastards and not the plebs that are self-made bastards.  :D

peter

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 10:13:45 PM »
I remember when you could be gay and everybody was happy.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 10:35:57 PM »
Was it a T-Shirt with "I'm a Happy, Gay Bastard" written on it?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

peter

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 10:37:18 PM »
You young ones bastardised the word and from there it was all downhill.

peter

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 10:38:45 PM »
Tally ho.

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 11:27:40 PM »

OMG! Tarquin, you do go on.  I was answering Malc's post as a genuine paid up member of the Bastards Union!

There are very few of us left now; we were bastards when being a bastard was something to be proud of; before bastardy got downgraded (or should that be 'dumbed down'?) to 'love child' or other words of that ilk.

As the oldest surviving member of this elite group, I have to make sure that the word bastard is only used to describe fully paid up BORN bastards and not the plebs that are self-made bastards.  :D

Oh, bugger! <-  (apologies to any sodomites out there)

I apologise, in advance.

madjock

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 11:31:05 PM »
And I get told off for bad language lol

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 11:54:26 PM »
Dictionary.com
bug?ger
?noun
1.   Informal. a fellow or lad (used affectionately or abusively): a cute little bugger.
2.   Informal. any object or thing.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 03:53:11 AM »
Should this annual plea be a calendar event? That way we could all put on our stetsons a month ahead of time to get us in the proper mood.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 05:28:16 AM »
Sorry, Roger. We seem to have strayed from the topic slightly. What was your 'Plea' again?  ???