Author Topic: Favourite T.V. Shows.  (Read 10858 times)

Rob Baker

Re: Favourite T.V. Shows.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 08:31:51 PM »
Dad's Army
Seinfeld
The Day Today
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Sykes
The Old Grey Whistle Test
Mapp and Lucia
Jeeves and Wooster
The Beau Peep Show (I wish)

Diamond Lil

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 10:10:55 PM »
Bonanza
Bronco (was that what it was called?  The one with Ty Hardin?)
Twin Peaks
Friends
ER
House

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 10:16:32 PM »
F Troop.
I apologise, in advance.

Fyodor

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »
The Wire is an American television drama series set and produced in Baltimore, Maryland. Created, produced, and primarily written by author and former police reporter David Simon, the series was broadcast by the premium cable network HBO in the United States. The Wire premiered on June 2, 2002 and ended on March 9, 2008, with 60 episodes airing over the course of its five seasons.

Each season of The Wire focuses on a different facet of the city of Baltimore. They are, in order: the drug trade, the port, the city bureaucracy, the school system, and the print news media. The large cast consists mainly of character actors who are little known for their other roles. Simon has said that despite its presentation as a crime drama, the show is "really about the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals, and how?whether you're a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge [or] lawyer, you are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution you've committed to."[1]

Despite never seeing great commercial success or winning any major television awards,[2] The Wire has frequently been cited by critics as one of the greatest television series of all time.[3][4][5] The show is recognized for its realistic portrayal of urban life, artistic ambitions, and uncommonly deep exploration of sociological themes.

Superb.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 10:42:14 AM »
Dixon of Dock Green was a bit like that.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 11:21:56 AM »
So was F Troop.
I apologise, in advance.

peter

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 09:13:14 PM »
The best of all Callen the best spy thriller that ever was. Edward Woodward the lead with small scotish actor playing Lonely

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 10:07:01 PM »
Callan was, indeed, a terrific series. Peter, the "small Scottish actor" was Russell Hunter who died several years ago. Last year, I had the great fortune to have a few drinks with his widow, Una McLean, a wonderful actress in her own right. She is an absolute delight. Before I met her, I'd been told that Russell had owned an Andy Capp original which she'd given away after his death and had regretted doing so. When I presented her with one that I'd written, (apologising that it wasn't by Reg Smythe) she literally screamed with delight and couldn't thank me enough. Una is approaching 80, still working hard and, after a couple of drinks in the theatre where I'd watched her perform, dragged me across the road for a couple more in  the nearest pub. Like I said, an absolute delight.

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 11:55:45 PM »
H.R. Pufnstuf
I apologise, in advance.

Colin

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 01:00:44 PM »
Van Der Valk.
Minder.
MASH.
The Simpsons.
Family Guy

Probably loads more that I can't remember just now.

Calypso

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »

Vulture

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 03:23:30 PM »
Just how popular was this series?

Calypso

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 12:51:35 AM »
I don't know. It was a kiddie show. I thought it was funny. Now I think it's kind of grating, but pretty clever.

Vulture

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 07:42:16 AM »
Well, yes. The monkeys are/were better actors than some of the human ones I've seen, but I bet they didn't get paid the equivalent in bananas!

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 07:57:26 AM »
Loads of PG Tips tea breaks though.
I apologise, in advance.