Author Topic: Back safely from London ...  (Read 16436 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Back safely from London ...
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 10:26:17 AM »
The old hotel is no longer there, Joan. When the new road was built, bypassing the village, it killed off the business---and it only ever operated at a "ticking over" level at the best of times. The hotel was pulled down a couple of years ago, long after my family had left.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 11:41:46 AM »

"morainic mounds"

For some inexplicable reason, I suddenly had a vision of Mince there.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malc

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 12:45:51 PM »
As a loyal Scot, and one who has travelled North to Aviemore and seen the wonderful scenery, I would still love to live there, but when I was over in the UK last year (seems like yesterday) I was very taken with Northern Ireland and the area over the border in the Irish Republic, Donegal, the Inishowen Peninsula area.
I stayed in this house in Glengad, which is owned by friends and is hired out (this photo is on the web).
Weather was great most of the time and because the house was situated on top of a cliff, every morning the view from the window was of nothing but the Atlantic ocean. Absolutely gorgeous.

Joan

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 02:09:55 PM »
We had a terrific family holiday in Donegal when I was about 13, Malc.  Stayed in a hotel which used to be a  farmhouse, with it's own beach.  The best thing for me was that it had three ponies stabled there and we just got to ride them whenever we wanted - had to tack them and stable them, etc, but that was part of the whole experience.  We rode them wherever we wanted - along the beach, through the fields, along the road - I was riding one of them past a little church one day when an old man came out and told me her (the pony's) owner was inside - "Just bring her away in to see him.", says he, so we led her inside and she clomped up to the altar to see her master.

It's very beautiful country - wild and rugged.  I've always wanted to go back again.

Malc

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 06:05:45 PM »
The beaches are phenomenal too, Wide estuary beaches with white sand. If the weather was better those places would be choc-a-bloc with tourists and ugly hotels. Thank goodness for the climate. I could work there, whereas I find it very difficult to work here in Queensland.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 08:09:20 PM »
I just remembered I have some pics online of beaches of South Harris, in The Hebrides. Honestly, I've never seen better beaches in the whole of the UK, and as you'll see, they're quite deserted.

http://www.nigelsutherland.co.uk/hebridesetc/hebridesetc.html

Joan

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 10:11:29 PM »
Great pictures, Peeps.  I remember the beaches in Sutherland being beautiful white sand as well - just imagine if the climate was "better" what the North of Scotland would be like in terms of tourist fodder - makes me shudder to think.

The funny thing was, there were hardly any sandy beaches on Skye.  The other thing we noticed was that there were very few highland accents - I heard two people speaking with the highland lilt and we didn't hear anybody speaking gaelic at all.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 10:59:34 PM »
They say that Sandwood Bay in Sutherland is the UK's most beautiful beach. It also happens to be the least accessible! (Did you know my real name was Sutherland, and not Peepmaster?)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 12:20:17 AM »
Fabulous, Peepsie!

Malc, as a veteran of the A9 from Perth to Inverness, and having holidayed in Aviemore almost every year for the past quarter of a century, I agree the scenery is wonderful. It's one of my favourite drives in the UK, with variety all the way.

However, it's only the beginning, as I found out only a decade ago. The best of what Scotland has to offer lies further up the road, north of Dingwall, then up to Lairg and beyond. Where the single-track road takes you beyond any other sign of civilisation for mile upon mile, through the most stunning peaks and lochs you can possibly imagine. I thought I'd seen some spectacular parts of Scotland and the rest of the UK, but I can honestly say that nothing I'd encountered before on these isles could touch the breath-taking views the first time I ventured north of Lairg. I kept stopping to take it all in, each time saying it can't get any better than this, then 20 minutes further up the road, you turn a bend and it does.

Eventually, you can go no further north. But then you encounter perhaps the greatest surprise of all - beaches like the one Peepsie posted above. They're all along that north coast - you expect grey, dark, cold and even oppressive, but what you get is turquoise waters, beautiful golden sands with nary a footprint in sight... and palm trees. Nobody had told me - I literally could not believe my eyes the first time I stepped on the beach at the marvellously named Bettyhill, before heading for home through the jagged peaks (hundreds of them, fading into the distance) and magnificent lochs.

I've done the east coast route, and been up and down the middle routes. Before I die, I'll bag the west coast. Joan, if you've still got three weeks left, and enough stamina (it's a heck of a long drive, but richly rewarding if you get a nice day), don't take my word for it...
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 12:29:17 AM »
I nicked that picture off a Google search for Sandwood Bay. The Hebrides ones are mine. I'm planning on a tour to Sutherland soon to show Lucy the delights of freezing weather and biting midges.

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 01:02:49 AM »
She's not had the tour of Sutherland yet? Good lord, man - you're slipping!

I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 02:27:26 AM »
That's because he's not buying tubes. Don't go the old fashioned rout, I'm sick of telling you! It rots through the cups and causes slippage.

Honestly, you have to lead some people by the hand.

Joan

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
God, Malc, you're a tonic.

Joan

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 09:18:16 AM »
I've seen a bit of the West Coast, Peeps, but not enough.  Seen most of the very North (Sutherland, Cape Wrath), but a very long time ago, so would love to go again.  Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to fit it in this time.

I did know your real name was Sutherland, but it slipped my mind.  Tell me, do the Sutherlands actually come from Sutherland?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 09:22:35 AM by Joan »

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 09:31:37 AM »
I did know your real name was Sutherland, but it slipped my mind.  Tell me, do the Sutherlands actually come from Sutherland?

Broadstairs, I believe - via Wolverhampton.
I apologise, in advance.