Author Topic: facebook  (Read 5430 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

facebook
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:41:34 AM »
Anyone here on facebook? Should we have a Beau Peep facebook group?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: facebook
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 09:18:25 AM »
It probably won't come as a surprise that I'm not in it----even less of a surprise that I have no idea how it works. Would it bring any more benefits than we already have here?

Vulture

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 09:28:07 AM »
It probably won't come as a surprise that I'm not in it----even less of a surprise that I have no idea how it works. Would it bring any more benefits than we already have here?

We get benefits......?  ???

Vulture

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 09:32:01 AM »
Yes. I'm on Facebook. I still have my original 12 contacts that I started with over a year ago.  My children and grandchildren seem to have have a million contacts between them. I don't understand their 'English' and frequently have to ask for translations. I make very few posts - about two a week. I can see NO benefits with being on Facebook. Don't go there!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:59:22 AM »
I totally agree with Vult, Peepsie - life is way too short!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:01:38 AM »
I've been very sceptical about facebook, but I've joined, and am quite amazed at the power and scope of it. It's a social networking tool, yes, and very popular with the youngsters, but when it scanned my address book, I discovered there are numerous professionals, businesses and organisations I know that have pages.

I was invited to join the thing by young nephews and nieces, but very quickly your contacts expand, because not only do you get to have them as "friends" but you have access to all their contacts too, and it detects those that are mutual friends, or that you might know. Everyone can see what everyone else is up to, their posts, pictures, comments, etc.

I've got Lucy to join up, and very quickly she's created a vast network of filipino contacts - individuals and organisations, and it's a brilliant way of spreading the word about our new Philippines business.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:05:39 AM »
Here's an Andy Capp Group which has just under 3000 members!

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 12:58:09 PM »
I wish I hadn't looked at that Andy Capp group. There was a Sunday strip in there that I hadn't seen the final artwork for. When I sketched out the idea, Andy had a deadpan expression in the penultimate frame. Roger Mahoney has drawn him grinning at the reader and, for me, it spoils the gag completely. Don't get me wrong, Roger Mahoney is an absolutely brilliant artist and has captured Andy and the rest of the characters superbly, but he sometimes changes expressions which I felt were vital to the joke.
Anyway, back to Facebook. To be honest, it doesn't sound like anything I'd get too excited about. I have enough trouble keeping up with this place!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 12:59:25 PM »

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:08:51 PM »
Brilliantly funny, Mince.

I've added it to my facebook page already.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 03:44:32 PM »
I love the Facebook! I have 60 friends now - I know most of them now after I culled about 30 "friends" as I either didn't like them or didn't know them.

It is good in that you can upload photos for friends to see - even if they are not on Facebook. My family is very private and most won't go on - but there are a few of my husband's cousins.

I started a mandala art group that has over 70 people and a local news group that has 230 people - we post about registration dates for kid's sports and dance recitals etc.

I started my own gift application in February - instead of Say it with Flowers, I have Say it with Westies - there are 57 photos of my dogs being sent around the world saying "Howdy" or "Happy Birthday" by over 5000 people!

I got in touch with my old school chum from Wales - she and her husband and daughter are talking of coming over for a visit.  ;D

The only downside is that people get to see how ugly I am and of course my dial-up download speed.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 05:06:48 PM »

The only downside is that people get to see how ugly I am

Come on, Diane. Let's not have you talking negatively like that. Just tell them not to look at your picture, or post something else. It really is that simple.  ;D

I've only been on facebook for a short while, and it's like a forum, with loads of extra facilities. I know I haven't even scratched the surface of what applications there are available etc.

Anyway, how about you starting up a Beau Peep Group - merely as an appreciation society as it were, and we can see how it develops. Roger, Vulch and Pilch needn't join it if they don't want to. It would be interesting to see how it goes. The Andy Capp one I mentioned started last September, and is up to 3000 fans already.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 05:33:15 PM »
The Andy Capp one I mentioned started last September, and is up to 3000 fans already.

I really must object to this abuse of the English language. First "gay" becomes a synonym of "rubbish" and now it seems that "fan" is being used to mean "sad person without a life". Where will it end?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 05:40:38 PM »
Good idea! I've started a fan club: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=83049635917

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 05:54:36 PM »
Now I'm creating a movement. A peaceful one, designed to get Britain laughing again.