Author Topic: Wish me luck ...  (Read 38543 times)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Wish me luck ...
« Reply #255 on: November 01, 2010, 10:28:09 AM »
Such neglect is a price worth paying, Joan. Bring it on - and take Lil's very sage advice. Thanks for the update.

Totally incidentally, but prompted by the mention of Chaplin, I was listening to the wireless the other evening, and this Irish chap was on, talking about his amazing discovery whilst viewing the DVD collection he'd just acquired of the complete collection of Chaplin films, plus extras. In one of those 'extras', featuring footage of a rehearsed scene for one of his films shot in 1928, he has spotted what he can only conclude is a time traveller walking through the set in the background, clutching a mobile phone to her ear. I think the man is potty, but it's quite amusing. Have a look...

Time Traveler Caught on Film - Time Traveler Cell Phone - Charlie Chaplin Time Traveler

But, anyway - back to Joan...
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #256 on: November 01, 2010, 05:34:16 PM »
But who could she have been phoning?

Great update, Joan. It certainly sounds like you've had a tough year, but good that you're coming out from it in good nick.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #257 on: November 01, 2010, 06:25:58 PM »
Tarks, I saw some stills of that video in the press the other day. Among the more logical explanations was that she was weraing a hearing aid and testing it by talking out loud. Personally, I think she is actually Mince on his time travels and the reason he has long absences from this site.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #258 on: November 01, 2010, 10:09:37 PM »
I think it’s pretty obvious as to why Mince can’t be around over Christmas this year. He’s gained a lot of weight; he’s grown a beard; he likes to wear red...yup he’s obviously in jail again.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Joan

« Reply #259 on: November 01, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »
Champagne and Bailey's? Good grief.

Ain't that the truth, Roger? There are 2 little bottles of Baileys in the cupboard - bought as a top up to duty free allowance. It's like any liqueur for me now - tastes good, but the after effects are not worth it.  Should have gone for the Dalwhinnie.  Or maybe not ...

I think it’s pretty obvious as to why Mince can’t be around over Christmas this year. He’s gained a lot of weight; he’s grown a beard; he likes to wear red...yup he’s obviously in jail again.

:D  ;D He needs to fix the smilies before he goes - that kiss smilie is quite grotesque.  Do appreciate the sentiment, though.  :-*

I'm looking forward to the neglect, I must say! I will be filling the quiet times with lots of good things, Lil.  :) It's actually now that I'm having a bit of a "drop". Apparently quite usual.  The dust settled and I looked back and thought, "Good grief! I've been through quite a lot." Grateful I have a sense of humour and you lot to tickle it.

I reckon he's refilmed the movie or used some digital jiggery pokery.

Joan

« Reply #260 on: November 13, 2010, 02:58:37 AM »
Phew!

I had my first annual checkup mammogram and ultrasound on Monday and because my breasts are so dense and difficult to analyse, the radiologist took a core biopsy of an “irregularity” in my left breast (the other one).  I saw the breast surgeon yesterday and all is well – no malignancy and just fibrous tissue – but you can imagine how I felt when the sonographer went to get the radiologist and he told me I should have the biopsy.  Right back where I started a year ago.  The results would have been ready by Thursday, but we had to wait until Friday because the surgeon was so busy with surgery and I decided I’d rather hear the worst from him and where to go from there. I think my blood pressure must have dropped about 60 points when he told me the good news.  Relieved doesn’t go near to describing how I felt.  I never knew one could feel elated and drained at the same time!  Two words: "No malignancy" just beautiful.  :)

So I'm clear to go.  Just have to finish the Herceptin and have another little op to tidy things up after that and hopefully, I shouldn't have to be visiting the hospital/doctors much.  The main thing is that the nasty little sucker(s) have gone and should stay away!  The surgeon told me to go home and have a glass of wine and I said I'd put a bottle in the fridge already - was having a drink whatever the news.

It's a lovely day here today - sunny and warm with a nice cool afternoon breeze coming in now.  We had friends from NZ staying last weekend and it was rainy, wet and cold.  They went off to the Blue Mountains and then out to Wagga Wagga and are coming back to stay tonight before flying back tomorrow.  Good that the weather has improved steadily for them.  I may even go for a swim in the pool later.

Diamond Lil

« Reply #261 on: November 13, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
I was holding my breath as I read through that first paragraph....so pleased for you.

Hope you enjoyed the swim and wine ;D

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #262 on: November 13, 2010, 09:36:27 AM »
Great news, Joan!

Tom

« Reply #263 on: November 13, 2010, 12:01:25 PM »
Great news indeed!

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #264 on: November 13, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »
Really great news, Joan. 

Rob Baker

« Reply #265 on: November 13, 2010, 07:05:49 PM »
Brilliant news, Joan -- very best wishes from me as well!

Joan

« Reply #266 on: November 14, 2010, 06:14:58 AM »
Thanks everyone.  :)  Still feeling a great sense of relief.  I did enjoy the swim and the wine, Lil, and it's been lovely having Tony and Susan here.  The weather has been fantastic and have had more swims this morning and lots of nattering between Susan and me while Tony did lots of weeding - what a gem!  They're on their way back to New Zealand now and I'm just going to have another swim and then sit outside and enjoy a Heineken.  The other half has just come home from sailing (or rather driving the rescue boat) absolutely knackered and is starting to barbecue and cook ribs for our darling son who is studying for exams/finishing his thesis - should graduate in December - so we're pampering him a bit.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #267 on: November 14, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
You will have lots to celebrate this December  ;D
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #268 on: November 14, 2010, 05:17:50 PM »
Joan, thanks for keeping us all posted, and fro bringing us such good news (even through the scares). I think it's wonderful that you trust us all so much to share these very personal times, especially us males, most of whose brains would, at one time in our lives, have frozen in their tracks when presented with large texts that included such imagery as "dense breasts with nasty little suckers".

Be well!
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #269 on: November 15, 2010, 02:31:50 AM »
Joan, my feelings go out to you especially when you get those "aftershock" scares as the doctor asks for biopsies, I'm sure it sends you into a panic. I'm talking to a couple of dear friends on Facebook at the moment regarding their recent cancer battles, and I've been pretty well immersed in the feelings that you have experienced, albeit by proxy.
It's great to know you're on the mend, in the clear and scheduled to see us all out, well done!