Author Topic: Tattoos.  (Read 15320 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Tattoos.
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:05:25 PM »
According to the news today, one in five adults in the UK has a tattoo. At one time, I considered having the Battle of the Little Bighorn etched on my left buttock but decided against it in the end. My skin is ink-free.
So who's got a tattoo out there and can we see it?

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
Re: Tattoos.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:57:22 PM »
Mine only has ink from a faulty pen.  Not worth the picture.

Vulture

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 01:01:59 AM »
I have two tattoos.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
Of what, Vulch?

Vulture

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 11:47:07 AM »
Of what, Vulch?

Top of right arm: a sun, outline in black with the central orb yellowy-orange and the rays filled in with red, yellow and orange. (Unfortunately, apart from the odd speckle of red, the other colours seem to have disappeared. I might see if I can get the colours filled in again.)

Top of left arm: a lion, vaguely heraldic in style, the colours matching the originals of the sun and still seem to be holding.

I had the sun done in celebration of my first transatlantic flight in 2001, when went to see my daughter in Toronto, and the lion was a birthday present from son Number 1, in 2002.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:04:45 PM »
According to the news today, one in five adults in the UK has a tattoo. At one time, I considered having the Battle of the Little Bighorn etched on my left buttock but decided against it in the end. My skin is ink-free.
So who's got a tattoo out there and can we see it?

I almost got all the battle scenes from Upper Canada tattooed on my butt from the War of 1812, but then the war dragged on to 1814 and even I don't have a butt that big.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 02:06:34 PM »
I watched the movie Larry Crown last night (Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts) – it was not really worth seeing but at least I got to see it free as it was a loan from the library.

In one scene a young lady shows her tattoos and says they are Japanese symbols meaning “spirit” and “courage”; Tom Hanks said no, they are Chinese symbols saying “Soy Sauce”.

This is why I never bought a pair of cool looking black work out pants for tai chi with white symbols written down the leg – I fear they would say “silly fat cow” in Japanese.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »
Of what, Vulch?

Top of right arm: a sun, outline in black with the central orb yellowy-orange and the rays filled in with red, yellow and orange. (Unfortunately, apart from the odd speckle of red, the other colours seem to have disappeared. I might see if I can get the colours filled in again.)

Top of left arm: a lion, vaguely heraldic in style, the colours matching the originals of the sun and still seem to be holding.

I had the sun done in celebration of my first transatlantic flight in 2001, when went to see my daughter in Toronto, and the lion was a birthday present from son Number 1, in 2002.

Wow, it is always the quiet ones isn't it.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 06:43:53 PM »
Diane, I love these stories where people think they're having some kind of philosophical Chinese proverb tattooed on their back and it turns out to be Cantonese for "pencil-sharpener".
I don't have anything against tattoos as such---some of them are quite tasteful (the ones described by Vulture, for example). I just never fancied the process of having inky needles stuck in my skin. I used to faint when applying the stick-on ones.

Vulture

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 06:49:26 PM »
Diane, I love these stories where people think they're having some kind of philosophical Chinese proverb tattooed on their back and it turns out to be Cantonese for "pencil-sharpener".
I don't have anything against tattoos as such---some of them are quite tasteful (the ones described by Vulture, for example). I just never fancied the process of having inky needles stuck in my skin. I used to faint when applying the stick-on ones.

;D ;D ;D

Did you used to spit on the transfer, or were you posh and use tap water?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 07:44:01 PM »
Perrier.

Vulture

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 07:49:50 PM »
Had Perrier been invented in those days?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 08:55:59 PM »
Perrier water was first sold in 1898. (Leaves space for jokes....)

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 10:53:16 PM »
Just out of curiosity Roger, do you also “smoke” chocolate ciggies?

Malc

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 03:02:35 PM »
I'll be in the UK in a couple of weeks (yes, again) and a month or so later my sons are coming over too. My big plan is to go to a Glasgow tattoo artist and get us all done in the same day with tatts. One each, my treat.
The tattoo artist is my niece, she's never met us and I'm not going to reveal she is "doing" her relatives until afterwards.